TrueBlueArmy Forums
Squad size now? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Squad size now? (/showthread.php?tid=4236)

Squad size now? - stayinupforever - 02-05-2024

Anyone know how many players are left?

RE: Squad size now? - DeepBlue - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 10:00 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: Anyone know how many players are left?

At the moment  18 but that would be 20 if Pack & Ogilvie sign the new contracts they have been offered (by no means certain) and 22 if deals can be done with Morrell & Swanson

The 18 are Bishop, Devlin, Lane, Lang, Lowery. McIntyre, Moxon, Norris, Poole, Saydee, Scully, Shaughnessy, Sparkes, Stevenson, Steward, Towler, Whyte & Yengi.

RE: Squad size now? - Daniel - 02-05-2024

I would say the club will look to move a few of the contracted players on as well

RE: Squad size now? - stayinupforever - 02-05-2024

Quite likely but a lot will depend on the backing from the Eisners.

RE: Squad size now? - bluetagagain - 02-05-2024

I think a squad of about 28 should be enough for a league campaign

RE: Squad size now? - FiftyYearsOn - 02-05-2024

I would have expected Stevenson to move on even if it means cancelling his contract, Steward and Devlin perhaps out on loan and then questions over Scully and Whyte, but I guess they will still be here and JM will be expecting much more from them next year.

RE: Squad size now? - PompeyBlue15 - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 02:41 PM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: I would have expected Stevenson to move on even if it means cancelling his contract, Steward and Devlin perhaps out on loan and then questions over Scully and Whyte, but I guess they will still be here and JM will be expecting much more from them next year.

You cant just cancel his contract if he doesnt want to have it cancelled. You'd just hope a club want him and we would get rid for nothing if need be. That being said, im not sure if we know if hes actually any good or not.

RE: Squad size now? - bluetagagain - 02-05-2024

I would imagine JM will sit down with him and explain his situation. If he (Stevenson)hardly played last season I very much doubt he'll play next season,he'll be either loaned out or transferred. Steward will be loaned out and I imagine Towler could be as well as I expect RH/JM to sign another right sided CB. I think Devlin will be part of the squad. As regards Scully and Whyte I think a decision will be made before the TW shuts.
So if you take out Steward,Stevenson,Scully,Whyte,Morrell and Swanson. That would only give us a squad of 16. That being IMO I think we need at least the following:
GK
RB (maybe 2)
LB (Sparkes not good enough IMO)
CB
CM (2)
Wide Right (2)
W Left
No10
Striker
Whether that be at least 6 in on contracts and at least 4 loans.

RE: Squad size now? - DeepBlue - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 03:07 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I would imagine JM will sit down with him and explain his situation. If he (Stevenson)hardly played last season I very much doubt he'll play next season,he'll be either loaned out or transferred. Steward will be loaned out and I imagine Towler could be as well as I expect RH/JM to sign another right sided CB. I think Devlin will be part of the squad. As regards Scully and Whyte I think a decision will be made before the TW shuts.
So if you take out Steward,Stevenson,Scully,Whyte,Morrell and Swanson. That would only give us a squad of 16. That being IMO I think we need at least the following:
GK
RB (maybe 2)
CB
CM (2)
Wide Right (2)
W Left 
No10
Striker

Agree with most of that , but Towler is a left-sided centre back so replacing Raggett on the right does not affect him. I can see Towler being kept as cover for MacIntyre, at least until he proves his fitness. 

JM said the reason for leaving Raggett out at Lincoln was to see Shaughnessy on the right. If he liked what he saw he could even stick with Poole, Shaughnessy, MacIntyre & Towler as his four centre becks, especially if Ogilvie signs to provide a 5th option.

RE: Squad size now? - South Coast steve - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 02:41 PM)FiftyYearsOn Wrote: I would have expected Stevenson to move on even if it means cancelling his contract, Steward and Devlin perhaps out on loan and then questions over Scully and Whyte, but I guess they will still be here and JM will be expecting much more from them next year.

Good call

RE: Squad size now? - Cunninglinguist - 03-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 06:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(02-05-2024, 03:07 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I would imagine JM will sit down with him and explain his situation. If he (Stevenson)hardly played last season I very much doubt he'll play next season,he'll be either loaned out or transferred. Steward will be loaned out and I imagine Towler could be as well as I expect RH/JM to sign another right sided CB. I think Devlin will be part of the squad. As regards Scully and Whyte I think a decision will be made before the TW shuts.
GK
RB (maybe 2)
CB
CM (2)
Wide Right (2)
W Left 
No10
Striker

Agree with most of that , but Towler is a left-sided centre back so replacing Raggett on the right does not affect him. I can see Towler being kept as cover for MacIntyre, at least until he proves his fitness. 

JM said the reason for leaving Raggett out at Lincoln was to see Shaughnessy on the right. If he liked what he saw he could even stick with Poole, Shaughnessy, MacIntyre & Towler as his four centre becks, especially if Ogilvie signs to provide a 5th option.

He’s already seen Shockers on the right, he switched them around before (it didn’t do Raggett any good).

2 wide right, Tag?

RE: Squad size now? - bluetagagain - 03-05-2024

(03-05-2024, 04:14 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(02-05-2024, 06:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
GK
RB (maybe 2)
CB
CM (2)
Wide Right (2)
W Left 
No10
Striker

He’s already seen Shockers on the right, he switched them around before (it didn’t do Raggett any good).

2 wide right, Tag?

Maybe one WR depending on where he sees Lane. Unless Scully comes back pre season as a born again footballer and LBH Whyte isn't anything more than a bit player, then we would need 3 wide players. Along with Lane that's 2 for each side.

RE: Squad size now? - Rocketman - 03-05-2024

I see Conor C was only on the bench for the last Ipswich game. Perhaps he'll be available?