TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Safe standing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With another step taken on the road to safe standing, I wonder whether Pompey fans might be beneficiaries.

Isn’t the Fratton End a candidate to be turned over to safe standing ?

The last time I was in the Upper tier of the Fratton End, everybody was standing anyway despite the half hearted attempts of a couple of stewards (it was a few years ago so perhaps things have changed). My 3 season tickets were in The North Stand Upper where it is unusual for everybody to stand but clearly the denizens of the FE Upper preferred standing.

Would certainly imagine that the atmosphere would be even more raucous and that the capacity might increase, it would be quite like old times !
(22-09-2021, 05:54 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]With another step taken on the road to safe standing, I wonder whether Pompey fans might be beneficiaries.

The last time I was in the Upper tier of the Fratton End, everybody was standing anyway despite the half hearted attempts of a couple of stewards (it was a few years ago so perhaps things have changed). My 3 season tickets were in The North Stand Upper where it is unusual for everybody to stand but clearly the denizens of the FE Upper preferred standing.

Would certainly imagine that the atmosphere would be even more raucous and that the capacity might increase, it would be quite like old times !

It certainly would be like old times.

I have a seat in the FE and it’s a bit of a jack in the box situation at the moment.

I think safe standing would be a great idea, it works OK in Germany and the US, among other places.

Bring it on I say  Smile .
I'm pretty sure that Caitlin said it would cost a lot to put in, ticket price would likely be the same and there would definitely not be an increase in capacity. Can;t see it happening to a stand that needs no work, could maybe be done as part of work that is required. Bit sad as I always assumed it would be north lower or south lower but both seem planned to stay seated.
The report I saw on BBC yesterday reported that capacity would be increased by safe standing.

Bring back the terraces, great atmosphere, back to football’s roots
(22-09-2021, 09:06 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure that Caitlin said it would cost a lot to put in, ticket price would likely be the same and there would definitely not be an increase in capacity. Can;t see it happening to a stand that needs no work, could maybe be done as part of work that is required. Bit sad as I always assumed it would be north lower or south lower but both seem planned to stay seated.

The back half of the Fratton End is the obvious place for safe standing for us.  Most stand most of the time there anyway and anyone who wants or needs to sit can do in the front half without getting their view blocked.
I've stood in the rear of the Fratton End since I've had a season ticket there for about 6 years. Haven't got one now so not sure what happens but I don't suppose much has changed.
In the days before I bought seasons for myself, my son and daughter, we used to stand at the back of the North Stand terrace (now the Lower) on the halfway line, I had stood there since my days at PNGS in the ‘50s, it was the appointed spot where PNGS always met for First team and reserve matches. 
Previously (since 1946) I had stood on The Boilermakers Hump with my family.

The ‘50s through to the ‘90s, it was a fabulous atmosphere, those around us were a source of great banter, made even the most dire matches great fun, in fact the banter was inversely proportional to what Pompey were doing on the pitch. 

When we three relocated to the North Stand Centre Section in the ‘90s (mainly because my daughter was on the short side and didn’t get much of a view) the first thing I found was that we were stuck with those around us and a more humourless bunch I have never met, it was a banter-free zone in fact (Tony the Taxi, you were the exception, you really were great fun !)

Sad, sad day when Thatcher began the process of removing our terraces and attempting to gentrify a basically working class game.

I hope that Pompey will be in the vanguard of clubs bringing back the terraces ie being part of a movement which focusses more on the fans who attend live games instead of TV, Owners and the hangers-on that currently seem to be the primary focus of football.
I too had a problem with Margaret Thatcher's involvement with football, in spite of voting for her. However, looking back she saved football's bacon.
(23-09-2021, 10:37 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]In the days before I bought seasons for myself, my son and daughter, we used to stand at the back of the North Stand terrace (now the Lower) on the halfway line, I had stood there since my days at PNGS in the ‘50s, it was the appointed spot where PNGS always met for First team and reserve matches. 
Previously (since 1946) I had stood on The Boilermakers Hump with my family.

The ‘50s through to the ‘90s, it was a fabulous atmosphere, those around us were a source of great banter, made even the most dire matches great fun, in fact the banter was inversely proportional to what Pompey were doing on the pitch. 

When we three relocated to the North Stand Centre Section in the ‘90s (mainly because my daughter was on the short side and didn’t get much of a view) the first thing I found was that we were stuck with those around us and a more humourless bunch I have never met, it was a banter-free zone in fact (Tony the Taxi, you were the exception, you really were great fun !)

Sad, sad day when Thatcher began the process of removing our terraces and attempting to gentrify a basically working class game.

I hope that Pompey will be in the vanguard of clubs bringing back the terraces ie being part of a movement which focusses more on the fans who attend live games instead of TV, Owners and the hangers-on that currently seem to be the primary focus of football.

Very well said Sir.

I really miss the terraces, you knew where your mates stood and didn’t have to fart around with seat numbers and all that tedious rubbish.

The banter and atmosphere are not a patch on the old days and anything that brings some of that back gets my full support.

Of course ‘banter’ has been all but rubbed out by the humourless ‘cancel’ brigade. I live in hope that sanity will prevail though.
In the days of the terraces where did you all choose to stand  and are you seated in the same place now (even if approximate) ?
(23-09-2021, 01:54 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]In the days of the terraces where did you all choose to stand  and are you seated in the same place now (even if approximate) ?

I’ve stood everywhere Wight  Smile . Of course in the very old days there was no segregation, so you could change ends at half time.

Most of my terrace life has been spent on the Fratton End, except for a few years when we used to stand on the South Stand terrace nearest the Fratton End. In the old days you could get a beer passed down to you from the bar at the back, fat chance of that now.
"Of course ‘banter’ has been all but rubbed out by the humourless ‘cancel’ brigade".

Please give it a rest!

Deebo

Bill wants to cancel talking about the ‘cancel brigade’. This is getting complicated. ;–)
(23-09-2021, 02:22 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]"Of course ‘banter’ has been all but rubbed out by the humourless ‘cancel’ brigade".

Please give it a rest!

Bit touchy aren’t you BTC? I didn’t mention you but………….  Smile
where did I stand?
Just above the middle wall of the Fratton End when I was first taken along by some family friends.
Later when I sold programs I used to get in last minute of course and stand as close to the back of the Fratton End as possible.
(22-09-2021, 05:54 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]With another step taken on the road to safe standing, I wonder whether Pompey fans might be beneficiaries.

Cant see this obsession with this santized seating campaign. It most certainly isnt the same as the old days because it's basically a spot in the stand with a seat upright behind you. You can't move anywhere outside the enclosed area. It'll be like going on a modern day bumper car. What's the point? 

Most of you would squinny if you left a standing position at half time and found someone in that spot when you got back anyway.

Cant we just have the ticker tape welcome back instead? Shame that bit the dust.
Big Grin Billy Boy poking his shonk in again!
Why can't we just have terraces but with a few more barriers? Festivals have 40k visitors with no restrictions.
Many terraces were safe. The Fratton end was fine. Some of the away terraces especially those with no roof felt a lot less safe with few barriers and crumbling steps. I never went on the north terrace or Milton End (other than when the fratton end was demolished), I suspect the Milton end was not great with no roof and weather damage.
The convertible to seats design seems a complete waste of money, its only needed for European games so why bother?
(23-09-2021, 09:15 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Many terraces were safe. The Fratton end was fine. Some of the away terraces especially those with no roof felt a lot less safe with few barriers and crumbling steps. I never went on the north terrace or Milton End (other than when the fratton end was demolished), I suspect the Milton end was not great with no roof and weather damage.
The convertible to seats design seems a complete waste of money, its only needed for European games so why bother?

Statistically terraces were very safe indeed, their closure was political pure and simple.

Criminal imo.
While safe standing does appeal in a nostalgic kind of way the cost would be massive with little or no increase in revenue.

Don't know why people think the FE is suited to change, should it magically increase capacity modern H and S would probably kick in and kill it. It was designed as is, with a capacity limit suited to the weight it could bear and egress/exit to allow evacuation in the event of emergency within given times frames. No doubt the news H and S rules are more stringent than when the FE was constructed.

In reality FP will eventually be replaced with something more suited to the 21st century as us matures move on the %age of younger fans will increase relative to the overall attendances and will probably be far more  demanding than todays coffin dodgers.

When you throw in the fact that 60% plus of pompey fans live off island and the young uns will be tempted by far better facilities from other clubs with unmentionable names it's conceivable the PFC fan base will shrink in time negating the need for greater capacity.

Pompey missed the boat of relocation when they delegated the investigation into feasibility to a group led by a fanatival "stay at fratton" individual. There were a couple of sensible options then but were overlooked quite deliberately imho and have now been redeveloped for other uses.
(23-09-2021, 10:42 PM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]While safe standing does appeal in a nostalgic kind of way the cost would be massive with little or no increase in revenue.

Don't know why people think the FE is suited to change, should it magically increase capacity modern H and S would probably kick in and kill it. It was designed as is, with a capacity limit suited to the weight it could bear and egress/exit to allow evacuation in the event of emergency within given times frames. No doubt the news H and S rules are more stringent than when the FE was constructed.

In reality FP will eventually be replaced with something more suited to the 21st century as us matures move on the %age of younger fans will increase relative to the overall attendances and will probably be far more  demanding than todays coffin dodgers.

When you throw in the fact that 60% plus of pompey fans live off island and the young uns will be tempted by far better facilities from other clubs with unmentionable names it's conceivable the PFC fan base will shrink in time negating the need for greater capacity.

Pompey missed the boat of relocation when they delegated the investigation into feasibility to a group led by a fanatival "stay at fratton" individual. There were a couple of sensible options then but were overlooked quite deliberately imho and have now been redeveloped for other uses.

If the ‘young ups’ are tempted by facilities, they are not Pompey fans but facilities whores ffs  Smile .

When I think back to when I wasn’t a coffin dodger (a long time ago I’ll great you), it was the atmosphere and the excitement that first attracted me to FP. That, allied to the camaraderie and sense of common purpose supporting ‘our’ team.

If I want facilities I’ll go to the theatre or the Ritz ffs.

Anybody who would be tempted elsewhere by better ‘facilities’ is a bit if a tart and has no club allegiance IMO.
(23-09-2021, 10:42 PM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]While safe standing does appeal in a nostalgic kind of way the cost would be massive with little or no increase in revenue.

I agree with this, not a great deal of foresight employed with regards to future development. I remember the Parkway project which would have been an ideal location...all ruined by the residents of Farlington.
Whooosh at u gaffs
(24-09-2021, 09:15 AM)muschi Wrote: [ -> ]Whooosh at u gaffs

Which point did I miss then Muschi?  Smile
Pages: 1 2