TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Front 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Putting the arguments about Marquis to one side for a moment.
The front three are looking increasingly threatening to me. If we remove the focal point will it work as well? 

I think Harrison is handy but such a different player, it will take some work to get the unit working as well together.
It’s about consistency … and the players delivering / contributing in more games that not.
But ultimately, that’s why they - and consequently we as a Club - are League One … because not enough of them do that for 95 minutes on a regular enough basis.

It’s about time Curtis, Harness and Marquis kick on and start delivering regularly …they are certainly experienced enough at this level, and frustratingly all appear to have the potential to do so
As I’ve said many times, Curtis’ stats are excellent for a winger. He’s scored more goals per game for us than Marquis ffs
(26-09-2021, 05:14 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]As I’ve said many times, Curtis’ stats are excellent for a winger. He’s scored more goals per game for us than Marquis ffs

I suspect he now realises he is wasting his time at Pompey and will now put in a really good half-season to get the right move in January.
(25-09-2021, 08:21 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Putting the arguments about Marquis to one side for a moment.
The front three are looking increasingly threatening to me. If we remove the focal point will it work as well? 

I think Harrison is handy but such a different player, it will take some work to get the unit working as well together.

I think the jury has been back on Marquis for a long time.
I'm sure Curtis will put in another really good season.
I have a good feeling about him too.
He's got Irish pride in him Smile
(26-09-2021, 02:38 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]I have a good feeling about him too.
He's got Irish pride in him Smile
Personally not heard of Irish pride... but a nice pint of Pompey Royal or HSB does it for me . And.....I believe Ronan will get a head of steam on also that this set of players are confidence driven, and a win Tuesday will set up a brilliant atmosphere for Saturday PUP .
Curtis is a gobshyte. If Cowley can manage that appropriately, then he could get some consistent performances from him. He has to focus on improving curtis, since he's brought down the axe on Jacobs.

I know it counts for little but I rate Jacobs much higher than Curtis but obviously I'm glad he is putting in some (two?) good performances at the moment. God knows we need them.
My thoughts on Jacobs are that he is not fit enough to do all the pressing regularly and maybe has opened his mouth about the way he should be used. Shame because he gives a good and very different option who I feel is useful if we are ahead and want to manage the game by keeping possession and getting the other side running rather than us.
are any of them fit enough?
Foxley

Easy one that, No !

In the event of us drawing a Prem side in the 3rd round of the FA Cup (and that’s a big assumption), around 70 minutes in, the commentator will be saying something like “and now the superior fitness of the Premiership side is beginning to show”.

The only reason we get away with lack of fitness at the moment is because so many L1 sides are the same as us ie only 70-80% fit but if the oppositions manager twigs we are beginning to blow and brings on a couple of younger/fresher players we get exposed for what we are, unfit.

Can’t help but feel that’s maybe what happened on Saturday, no lover of Adkins but he didn’t need to be a footballing genius to see the strength draining out of us.

In an interview Cowley stated that he enjoys a daily run along the seafront, good idea to take the squad with him…..or, better still, get the Pompey squad on the same diet and fitness regime as Christiano Ronaldo !
Pedalo, u on a wind up? You really rate Jacobs (2 goals in 22 appearances) over Curtis? Curtis’ stats speak for themselves and if they don’t his mother will!
Lol I'm genuinely not on a wind up! I think jacobs is better on the ball and puts in far more dangerous crosses & passes. He is a far more consistent player than Curtis, who has more potential but doesn't show it often enough for me.

If I recall correctly his win-rate when in the team was very good too (appreciate it is a team game though). His draw back was the he was constantly getting injured.

Ps i wouldn't have minded Marie taking charge for a few games last season. If nothing but for the pre/post match comments.
if we have ditched Jacobs and downing we look a little thin squad wise to me!