TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: After Christmas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Maybe this season we'll reverse our performance and improve in the New Year unlike the previous three.
Too true. Jackett had us top at Christmas twice and then the wheels fell off
(26-09-2021, 07:40 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this season we'll reverse our performance and improve in the New Year unlike the previous three.

That’s what I like to see, blind optimism  Smile .
To be honest I am just glad to see the back of the dire football we have played over recent seasons with players showing no real desire, skill or effort. In Baz, Romeo, Morrell and Tunicliffe we have brought in some much needed class, Curtis, Harness and even Raggett are starting to play and Marquis will eventually start scoring again. A good January window, Robertson back and maybe a good second half of the season in store. This is generally a pretty downbeat site but personally I've enjoyed the Cowley's first window and there was some good football played yesterday and two very good goals. After watching Brentford's performance at Anfield I think Pompey need to build a model similar to theirs based on patience, good scouting and an effective academy. Think the Cowley's have only just got started and hope they are given time.
Anfield has shrunk then...
Amidst all the doom and gloom on here is now a good time to point out that we are only two points of theplay-offs and only seven points off first place with 37 games to play,  and with a brand new squad it was always likely that we might not start too well but would improve as the season goes on. 

We haven't got to improve much and the performance level in the last two games makes me think we are more than capable of improving if we cut out out the defensive errors. 

And if the fans get behind the team and show some proper 'best fans in the country' support instead of trying to destroy their confidence with booing in the ground and over the top online criticism.
(26-09-2021, 08:49 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Amidst all the doom and gloom on here is now a good time to point out that we are only two points of theplay-offs and only seven points off first place with 37 games to play,  and with a brand new squad it was always likely that we might not start too well but would improve as the season goes on. 

We haven't got to improve much and the performance level in the last two games makes me think we are more than capable of improving if we cut out out the defensive errors. 

And if the fans get behind the team and show some proper 'best fans in the country' support instead of trying to destroy their confidence with booing in the ground and over the top online criticism.

Agree with all that. I wasn’t at the game yesterday but on Tuesday apart from his mistake I thought Williams had his best game. And though Raggett is playing better his silly mistakes will cost us at times, on Tuesday he got a silly booking in the first half with a rash tackle in our half resulting in a booking and yesterday it was his foul that resulting in them scoring. The one change I would like to see is to play the Arsenal kid at 10 and dropping Harness, I know he scored and played better but one game in 20 is not consistent enough for me.
To continue the positive theme, our first goal was top class with the ball played out quickly from the back through their high press (not hoofed) and smashed home by Curtis. Keep playing like that on a more consistent basis and we should reap the rewards, especially as the new players start to bed in. On the negative side, Marquis. That second miss was worryingly poor.
Bluebob, watch the extended highlights. Raggett is blatantly pushed and then the guy just falls to go the ground. Very soft free kick but woefully defended. How much longer can Marquis get away with these misses? His first touch on four or five occasions yesterday was dire, two of them costing easy goals which would have put us out of sight. Still, as others have said, starting to gel and play nice football but we should have made changes earlier yesterday as the high press means some are out one their feet by 80 minutes. Why not bring on Thompson - strong and skilful and reads the game very well.
PS Baz made about 5 exceptional saves. What a star at 19
(26-09-2021, 08:49 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Amidst all the doom and gloom on here is now a good time to point out that we are only two points of theplay-offs and only seven points off first place with 37 games to play,  and with a brand new squad it was always likely that we might not start too well but would improve as the season goes on. 

I agree there are grounds for optimism Deep and we are starting to play some very good football.

I think we need to get Marquis working on his first touch and finishing in training though. He continues to miss very easy chances and that is a luxury we cannot afford.

Some of the misses are Sunday League level bad ffs, we can’t keep carrying him, work rate or not.
I'm in the it will improve gradually and markedly after Christmas.
But we do have a thin squad in places as shown by our current defence which could easily undermine progress. I hear there is another international window coming up, which might give some training time and recovery from injuries too.
We could do with a few midweek cup games to get the loanees, Downing etc some game time. Too long without a match and they will struggle to fit into match pace high press.
Let's hope Orient go down the khazi after Christmas.
The Realist

Absolutely right about Brentford as a model apart from you omitting the fact (or perhaps didn’t realise) that their owner has put in £10Million a year for the last 10 years (£100 Million to date) !

It also will help if your owner is a true life long fan which Matthew Benham is.

Matthew Bentham is also extremely well educated with a degree in Physics from Oxford University and worked in finance finally becoming Vice President of The Bank of America. He left to join PremierBet where he refined analytics  to predict the outcome of gambles. He left to form his own betting syndicate, SmartOdds, which was incredibly successful, it generated tens of millions for his investors and him.

He is very astute, at Brentford he has used his sport analytics experience to devise  a new ‘recruitment paradigm’ nicknamed by the press Moneyball (after the Hollywood film about the Oakland As). Benham’s model tries to predict the likely outcome of low price purchases which can be sold on at a considerable profit.

Thus far Moneyball has yielded income for Brentford from Ollie Watkins £33 million, Said Benhamha £25million, Neal  Maupay £ 18 million, Chris Mepham £12 million to name the most significant.

I heard him on TalkSport a month back talking to Simon Jordan about the perils and pitfalls of football club ownership, fantastic discussion by two owners who have been there, done it !

By all means hope that Pompey follow the Brentford model but expect us to do it on bugger all money, an owner who isn’t a life-long fan and who knows absolutely nothing about the game.

Pop back in a couple of years and let me know how it’s all working out !
Great point Wightblue makes about Brentford. They were soley in debt to him & the fact he's a fan is good for them. But if @ any point in the 10 or so yrs he'd got into financial difficulty then you have to wonder what the outcome would be. Its a balancing act & tbf its worked for them. But the game is littered with clubs where its gone pear shaped.
The bits brentford do well ... buying sensibly and selling high.... can be replicated without vast sums of money and we have shown we can do that too on a smaller scale with the likes of Wallace, Clarke, Lowe and probably Curtis. But I'm not sure Pompey fans would be as accepting as Brentford's that you always sell you best players quickly when their price is high. 

But I also think the Brentford model is a bit of a myth. As Wighblue explained Benham has put in 100m over the years, which is probably more than all the profits they have made, however impressive they are.  

They do lots of things right and in a way that other could copy but  the bottom line is that most chairman could get Pompey back up to the premiership with 100m to give away.
(26-09-2021, 09:11 AM)Bluebob Wrote: [ -> ]

Agree with all that. I wasn’t at the game yesterday but on Tuesday apart from his mistake I thought Williams had his best game. And though Raggett is playing better his silly mistakes will cost us at times, on Tuesday he got a silly booking in the first half with a rash tackle in our half resulting in a booking and yesterday it was his foul that resulting in them scoring. The one change I would like to see is to play the Arsenal kid at 10 and dropping Harness, I know he scored and played better but one game in 20 is not consistent enough for me.

Totally in agreement if you support a club it is Permanent through thick and thin... glory days and crap !! 
Any glory days are only made more memorable for a lifetime by enduring the bitter misery of  the crap days. 
Football is a very unpredictable game   E.g - an excellent point at Man City then disaster home to Wolves  today, and don't suggest its impossible that we could be there i.e ( Husselpuffs playground) next season to give them some rapture of full volume Pompey support and loads and loads (aka Anfield 70's) tickertape in the Championship. !!
I honestly think that we'll be celebrating 10 years in league 1 under the Eisner's. They have no ambition and certainly no interest in investing in the team. How many more seasons of mediocrity will we put up with in a dilapidated stadium.
(26-09-2021, 04:34 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly think that we'll be celebrating 10 years in league 1 under the Eisner's. They have no ambition and certainly no interest in investing in the team. How many more seasons of mediocrity will we put up with in a dilapidated stadium.

Jiz , 

See the above - pragmatic view - what did the Eisners promise ? 

- eat what we kill/reap/sow ..etc. 

I still feel we will come good this season and our main striker will score goals - p.s. Harry Tame supporters aren't too pleased as we speak !
team comments fair enough
dilapidated stadium? They are the first to invest in it for decades
(26-09-2021, 04:34 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly think that we'll be celebrating 10 years in league 1 under the Eisner's. They have no ambition and certainly no interest in investing in the team. How many more seasons of mediocrity will we put up with in a dilapidated stadium.

You have a strange idea of ‘dilapidated’ Jiz.

The implication of your post is that we would accept mediocrity if the stadium was more palatial, that certainly is not the case.

The stadium is being improved and the team has the potential to gain promotion. The football is starting to improve and if we can become a bit more clinical in front of goal we will be fine.

If we were still fan owned we would be in financial trouble by now and the stadium would not have been improved as much as it has, likewise we would not have had much money to invest in the team. I wish it were otherwise but you have to face up to reality.
The south stand is a shed, so is the north stand. We get all nostalgic about it because we've watched Pompey for decades in this stadium but the reality is it belongs in the last century.

I should bloody hope they are improving it, it couldn't have been a lot worse.

There's pragmatism and disinterest. If we want to get out of this league we need more investment in the squad.
Their "brick by brick" model will get us nowhere.
(26-09-2021, 06:04 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]The south stand is a shed, so is the north stand. We get all nostalgic about it because we've watched Pompey for decades in this stadium but the reality is it belongs in the last century.

I should bloody hope they are improving it, it couldn't have been a lot worse.

There's pragmatism and disinterest. If we want to get out of this league we need more investment in the squad.
Their "brick by brick" model will get us nowhere.

Ffs, you don’t have to live in it, you just watch a football match in it for two hours every couple of weeks.

I don’t get nostalgic about it because it exists and long may that continue.

Lots of teams get out of this league without spending vast sums, why can’t we be one of them?

Anyway, this is a pointless argument as you have your idea of what FP should be like and I have mine.
Because as a club we want to attract support for future generations. I'm not sure this will be so easy in an old stadium with rubbish facilities. We need a modern stadium for the future imho.

Most of the teams that get out of this league reappear a couple of seasons later. I think we should have spent some money on a manager personally.
(26-09-2021, 03:31 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]The Realist

Absolutely right about Brentford as a model apart from you omitting the fact (or perhaps didn’t realise) that their owner has put in £10Million a year for the last 10 years (£100 Million to date) !

It also will help if your owner is a true life long fan which Matthew Benham is.

Matthew Bentham is also extremely well educated with a degree in Physics from Oxford University and worked in finance finally becoming Vice President of The Bank of America. He left to join PremierBet where he refined analytics  to predict the outcome of gambles. He left to form his own betting syndicate, SmartOdds, which was incredibly successful, it generated tens of millions for his investors and him.

He is very astute, at Brentford he has used his sport analytics experience to devise  a new ‘recruitment paradigm’ nicknamed by the press Moneyball (after the Hollywood film about the Oakland As). Benham’s model tries to predict the likely outcome of low price purchases which can be sold on at a considerable profit.

Thus far Moneyball has yielded income for Brentford from Ollie Watkins £33 million, Said Benhamha £25million, Neal  Maupay £ 18 million, Chris Mepham £12 million to name the most significant.

I heard him on TalkSport a month back talking to Simon Jordan about the perils and pitfalls of football club ownership, fantastic discussion by two owners who have been there, done it !

By all means hope that Pompey follow the Brentford model but expect us to do it on bugger all money, an owner who isn’t a life-long fan and who knows absolutely nothing about the game.

Pop back in a couple of years and let me know how it’s all working out !
Pages: 1 2