TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Stadium development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seems to be a few stories surfacing in this regard...

A meeting with network rail, PFC and PCC
A time frame for new Milton end (i won't spoil the date)
Norf stand development

All on the news website.

Painfully slow progress but it looks like the plan is progressing.
I learnt something today.The P factor is why there loads of dangerous screws in many seats.
Always keep my eye on the P factor... is it different from the Covid R factor?
I thought the bogs got a revamp recently... P factor shouldn't be an issue?
You'd think not but when you take into account the S factor then it can limit capacity.
The useless team factor means we don’t need more than about 14000
We're shit on the pitch and Tornante are under fire over O'Dismal. Here's a little side bet: they try to bury bad news with some morsels of information about the ground tomorrow or Friday
South stand development news today. Didn’t understand it all but apparently it will deliver sight lines of C80-C100 which it seems is perfect... for what I have no idea. Also will probably lower the capacity a little. More good news.
More I think about it the more I think we should have up sticks & moved to a new Stadium like Brentford have. Not the same design but they are able to create a good atmosphere in the ground. We're just pouring money down the drain at present with decreasing ground capacity.
re O Driscol the News might have to step back over that, his own statement is totally different. Wonder if we can keep him on i some part time role?
There are quotes attributed to Catlin saying that the board voted in favour of leaving Fratton Park, that Catlin himself voted to leave Fratton Park but that Michael vetoed it because he wants to believe something can be done with PCC and NR.

Catlin going as far as saying the surrounding infrastructure is "shit"
Caitlin always said leaving fp was the best option.
So Catlin is the fount of all wisdom now? Funny, he was always being slagged off before he left.

FP was, and is, our best option by far. Some of the greatest players ever to have graced the game have been blown away by it, so I’ll go with them thanks very much.

I have yet to visit a new stadium which is better than the old one, unless you count small clubs who had tiny rubbish stadiums in the first place. Football stadiums are about watching football and all the passion that is involved in that, they are not about comfy seats, nice bogs and fancy overpriced catering outlets ffs.
I wonder if this steady release of the plans is down to the new Exec?
The fact that the new North lower is designed to allow a new top to be added later is a very good bit of detail.
All that might explain why it has taken a while to get it properly planned with a long term view.

Being given an outline of the plans is a big step forward too, will reduce the worry about nothing happening at least for many of us.
Gaff, we are a small club that has a tiny rubbish stadium in the first place.

Aside of non league, FP is about as tiny rubbish as it gets.
(30-09-2021, 01:39 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]So Catlin is the fount of all wisdom now? Funny, he was always being slagged off before he left.

FP was, and is, our best option by far. Some of the greatest players ever to have graced the game have been blown away by it, so I’ll go with them thanks very much.

I have yet to visit a new stadium which is better than the old one, unless you count small clubs who had tiny rubbish stadiums in the first place. Football stadiums are about watching football and all the passion that is involved in that, they are not about comfy seats, nice bogs and fancy overpriced catering outlets ffs.
The AMEX is miles better than the Goldstone or Withdean although it's miles out of town. Or are you a counting Brighton as a small club with a crap stadium in the first place?  And while on the subject, if we ever think of giving our stadium a sponsored or corporate name, I might seriously have to consider my future attendance at games.
(30-09-2021, 03:36 PM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-09-2021, 01:39 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]So Catlin is the fount of all wisdom now? Funny, he was always being slagged off before he left.

The AMEX is miles better than the Goldstone or Withdean although it's miles out of town. Or are you a counting Brighton as a small club with a crap stadium in the first place?  And while on the subject, if we ever think of giving our stadium a sponsored or corporate name, I might seriously have to consider my future attendance at games.

The Goldstone and the Withdean (which was a tiny athletics stadium) were crap stadiums by any fecking measure. I haven’t been to the Amex, so couldn’t comment on it.
Regarding the Amex, it was apparently designed to keep the noise in, building an atmosphere. Which seems good to me.

With all the talk about reducing carbon footprints, travel and all that. Is an out of town stadium the way to go in that regard anyhow? Where we are at least a large number of fans arrive by train and on foot. Putting in a walkway direct from station to ground not via the narrow pavements of Goldsmith Avenue does make a lot of sense.
I feel we've outgrown FP, not by crowd attendance but by facilities and the need to expand/update if required. I would've thought the area that is currently the B&Q depot would be our best bet. It involves a very short move from FP. A new link to Fratton station should be easy to negotiate as its just next door., plus there's no local housing to worry about. One of the reasons FP has atmosphere is that our support is relatively close to the pitch,surely that could be done in a new stadium, we don't need another athletic stadium do we?. The B&Q area could give us a new in the City FP ,parking facilities, closer public transport links and the owners could even build a large sports bar similar to the one near Wigan's ground. Plus the council benefit by redeveloping FP.
Infrastructure ffs? FP is in town, near a train station and on bus routes. I just don’t believe people can’t get there other than by car. If the past week has taught people anything it should be to not depend on their cars so much. Fratton station is admittedly a mess but it’s not anything that should really deter a supporter. Long live FP - and yes, if it ever got a corporate branding we should rise up……..
(30-09-2021, 04:19 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]Infrastructure ffs? FP is in town, near a train station and on bus routes. I just don’t believe people can’t get there other than by car. If the past week has taught people anything it should be to not depend on their cars so much. Fratton station is admittedly a mess but it’s not anything that should really deter a supporter. Long live FP - and yes, if it ever got a corporate branding we should rise up……..

Dead right. I know lots of people who live near a station but still stubbornly drive to the match for the ‘convenience’ ffs. Stuck in traffic before and after the game, some leaving early to ‘beat’ the traffic, what’s the point of going if you miss the end ffs? Just so they don’t have to walk I suppose.

Never understood it, never will.
(29-09-2021, 05:03 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]We're shit on the pitch and Tornante are under fire over O'Dismal. Here's a little side bet: they try to bury bad news with some morsels of information about the ground tomorrow or Friday

Called it 

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...ay-3402596
(30-09-2021, 06:41 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-09-2021, 05:03 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]We're shit on the pitch and Tornante are under fire over O'Dismal. Here's a little side bet: they try to bury bad news with some morsels of information about the ground tomorrow or Friday

Called it 

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...ay-3402596

Well it looks like good news to me.
best news in years actually, all put together
I did think the relocation of Pompey to Farlington all those years ago was not that bad an idea. Near the motorway, a new railway station for the trains, plenty of routes for busses plenty of parking.
Just enough out of town to not be too congested and still be "Portsmouth"
However that was scuppered by Ian Gibson because it would spoil his view.
That all said, have a look at what Fulham have managed to do at Craven Cottage. They have not moved, but significantly improved their ground which has stood on the side of the Thames since 1896.
If they can do it - so can we and we stay at Fratton Park.
Pages: 1 2