TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Sunderland - a chance at redemption !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What a game ! Strugglers versus achievers played out in front of a Sold Out Fratton Park !

A chance to generate a true Fratton Park atmosphere and, given a real performance from The Blues, a shot at redemption for Cowley and the team and perhaps a chance to turn the corner .

Football still has its way of springing surprises, generating serious upsets and maybe Saturday might be one of them.

Can Cowley and his men pull their irons out of the fire ? Stop Sunderland in their tracks ? On recent performances not a chance but he who dares wins (did you see what I did there ? three cliches in a couple of lines)

To be serious, should Sunderland really stuff us then surely the crowd reaction might  be really hostile and both Cowley and Eisner suffer the truths they need to hear.

Not the Last Chance Saloon but something like it, I really do hope for something to get excited about.

Can’t even begin to think what might happen but our strikers scoring a couple might be a start and have me believing again…..but, win, lose or draw, I expect Bazunu and Raggett to be the busiest players on the pitch.
Agreed. One way or another it could be a watershed moment for us.
Sounds like blind optimism to me sadley.
Nothing wrong with a bit of blind optimism. That's all we've got right now! Lol
My Sunderland supporting next door neighbour was full of it this morning, dishing it out big time. I would love it if we kicked in to gear against them and gave them a spanking, that would shut the fucker up
Did any of you see last night's results?
Oxford put five past Accrington. Ipswich put six past Doncaster. Bolton put four past Charlton. How did we do against Accrington, Doncaster and Charlton?
Just sayin loike.
Sundeland put five past Cheltenham.
Blind optimism, Blind faith or the blind leading the blind.  - Whatever.
Bazunu will have to play a blinder (See what I did there) on Saturday to stop Sunderland putting five past us too.

It has to get better for us surely, and quickly too.
I doubt their managers use iPads either.
Ipswich’s manager doesn’t even use English
(29-09-2021, 02:26 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing wrong with a bit of blind optimism. That's all we've got right now! Lol

I am blindly optimistic but I still think we’ll get stuffed.

I’ll have to get suitably anaesthetised to ease the pain. Smile
(29-09-2021, 03:40 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Ipswich’s manager doesn’t even use English

Big Grin Big Grin
I couldn't give a toss if the managers used iPads, play books, pen and paper or salt and pepper pots. The ideas are just beyond the abilities of half the team. That's all it is.

I have to admit that I am starting to see Jackett in a different light. How much of Jackettball was because the technical ability of the players was generally shit? (yes I know he signed them).

I don't remember so much Jacketball when we had a ball player in the team (Thompson).

Perhaps it wasn't the case that Jackett was a conservatist. Maybe he was a pragmatist.
How can anyone forget the sheer hell of jacketball so quickly. You can count the amount of games that were watchable over those three years on one hand.

Cowleys have had 10 games and been giving pocket money to build a squad that can pretend to try get promoted.
Poundland Pompey! There seems little hope of real success under the present owners. Eat what you kill! What did we kill? An effin Dormouse!
I'd like to be positive but unless the formation & tactics change I can see us getting stuffed by at least 3-0. I think we'd all like to see us having a go at them as they could be complacent thinking they'll steam roller us. Go for a 5-3-2 with wing backs getting forward & supplying crosses into the box. Start with Harrison & Ahadme up front Marquis benched. Azeez or Jacobs CM setting up chances & stretching the Mackems defence. It would be a bold gamble for DC but better to take the game to them. If we go down we go down fighting Not with a Negative Whimper.
Here’s a reason to be positive about Saturday, Sunderland are unbeaten in their last 8 games, all runs come to an end, perhaps their’s will on Saturday.

I have been feeling so much better since I found some straws to clutch at.
Pompey in recent seasons have always been at their most vulnerable while on a good run.
But usually against the little clubs.
Not confident at all and really hoping not to hear their fans in full crowing mode.
Lawrence we are arguing the same thing. Jacketball was awful, turgid and we are well rid. All I was saying was maybe Jackett recognised he fucked up the recruitment, realised we lacked ball players and the unwatchable bollocks was his way if trying to get results. We have someone in now who plays the style we wanted but we are currently too open with Jacket's players. Getting rid of Cowley after only one window would be a disaster.
Agreed scumslayer. You can't chop and change managers so quickly because building a squad takes much longer than 1 window.

Cowley is trying to win Goodwood, riding a bunch of donkeys. Until he gets rid of all of Kennys signings, we'll have to hold off weliding the axe.

As slayer mentions, DC has 2 choices:
A: Play ugly football to scrape wins because the squad is shit.
B: Risk results but get the team to play towards his preferred style of play.

He's picked option B which should mean that towards the end of the season we see performance improvements. Change is not an enjoyable process for anyone, we have to see it through though.
(29-09-2021, 12:40 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed. One way or another it could be a watershed moment for us.

It will be, have you seen the weather forecast?  Smile
(30-09-2021, 04:48 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed scumslayer. You can't chop and change managers so quickly because building a squad takes much longer than 1 window.

Cowley is trying to win Goodwood, riding a bunch of donkeys. Until he gets rid of all of Kennys signings, we'll have to hold off weliding the axe.

As slayer mentions, DC has 2 choices:
A: Play ugly football to scrape wins because the squad is shit.
B: Risk results but get the team to play towards his preferred style of play.

He's picked option B which should mean that towards the end of the season we see performance improvements. Change is not an enjoyable process for anyone, we have to see it through though.

Evening lads and lasses, hope you don't mind a Sunderland supporter chipping in. Regardless of you form, this is our hardest game of the season so far and one of the biggest games in this league. I can't call the result as could go either way.

Just wanted to say that you need to stick with the Cowley's as they know what they are doing. We brought Johnson in and without his own players we didn't progress, after a good summer and the chance to bring his own players in and its a different story. It would be madness to consider changing managers again. Plenty of our supporters wanted LJ gone and they now all recognise what a mistake that would have been.

Anyway, apart from this Saturday, good luck for the rest of this season, you don't deserve to be in this godforsaken league with your support.
Enjoy the game Saturday mate, but obviously I hope you lose- won’t be putting any money on it though…..
(30-09-2021, 09:25 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]Enjoy the game Saturday mate, but obviously I hope you lose- won’t be putting any money on it though…..

Cheers
I would take a point now as know how hard a game its going to be - I won't be putting any money on it either though!
Jacobs is a ball player but Cowley won't play him because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken.
Williams needs to be dropped and Downing (an actual CH) brought in. Or at least Ogilvie. I'd go back to 442 with Romeo and Brown as the full backs. Definitely 2 up front as we need to score goals. Give Thompson a chance in midfield with Morrell.
Agree Jiz, as as we've got nothing to lose (no pun intended) why not play Adahame & Reeco up front.
Might find the game is postponed anyway given the torrential rain forecast. Maybe they should even postpone it today??
(01-10-2021, 09:42 AM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]Agree Jiz, as as we've got nothing to lose (no pun intended) why not play Adahame & Reeco up front.
Might find the game is postponed anyway given the torrential rain forecast. Maybe they should even postpone it today??

The temptation to stay in the pub grows ever greater  Big Grin .
Pages: 1 2