TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Daniel Sturridge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just read on the BBC Website:
Former Liverpool and England striker Daniel Sturridge has signed for Australian club Perth Glory for the 2021-22 season.
The 32-year-old had been without a club since leaving Turkish club Trabzonspor in March 2020.

Without a club since March 2020?
I have no idea whether we did look at him or not. If we did, then probably could not afford the wages or if he would have dropped to league 1, but certainly it would have been worth a try?
I have watched Perth Glory play and others in the A league and the level is probably at best league 2.
So its more likely the money they are paying him rather than the level.
Right now we definitely need someone who can score goals.
Maybe WestAustralianPompey fan has a view?
maybe he sees it as a chance to live down under and get paid.
Better than playing in a gale force wind tomorrow perhaps?
I've watched Perth Glory out in Aus & my mate used to go to all the Home games.
Div 2 or Conference level I'd say but not watched for some time.
Yes, money & a much better lifestyle is very appealing to British players at the end of their careers as Robbie Fowler & Emile Heskey can confirm.
But I'm sure if we'd really wanted him we could have signed him.
As I remember at Liverpool he was very injury prone & the manager gave up on him.
Be interesting to hear W.A. Fan take on it?
(01-10-2021, 10:23 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]Just read on the BBC Website:
Former Liverpool and England striker Daniel Sturridge has signed for Australian club Perth Glory for the 2021-22 season.
The 32-year-old had been without a club since leaving Turkish club Trabzonspor in March 2020.

I have no idea whether we did look at him or not. If we did, then probably could not afford the wages or if he would have dropped to league 1, but certainly it would have been worth a try?
I have watched Perth Glory play and others in the A league and the level is probably at best league 2.

You've answered your own question  ... there is no way on earth we could (or would want to) afford the wages of someone like Daniel Sturridge, even if we thought he was still good enough for lge 1 - which it would appear he isn't judging from where he has ended up.
(02-10-2021, 10:00 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2021, 10:23 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]Just read on the BBC Website:

You've answered your own question  ... there is no way on earth we could (or would want to) afford the wages of someone like Daniel Sturridge, even if we thought he was still good enough for lge 1 - which it would appear he isn't judging from where he has ended up.

Will be watching Perth Glory on my time off for sure this year. If right he should tear the A-League a new one
Just heard from my mate in Aus. He reckons this is the biggest signing in A League history but he does tend to get carried away at times. They signed him on a 2 year contract which is far too long & no doubt will regret. At that level he'll score a few goals but cansee him missing games injured. The only way Pompey could have signed him was on a pay per game basis.
I think Allesandro Del Piero is still the biggest signing in A League history.