TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Quarter season review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So what do we all think?

A good start, a poor run of 7 games, then the result of the season! 

Results-wise I think it matches my preseason expectations of mid table. Its not been pretty but have performances improved since last year? I'd say some have, some haven't. 

There are some obvious positions that need strengthening but I guess Danny has the same problem of having to offload the Harrisons and Downings before he can replace with players he trusts.

It seems that he likes players that are a bit ropey and then coach then into being decent. Raggett the obvious example there.

Hopes for the next quarter is that players have more faith in Cowleys methods and that is reflected in some more consistent performances. Results will probably continue to stutter but let's hope the general standard of play improves.

Best signing: Bazunu
Worst signing: hard to tell. There are a few who are unimpressive.
Ironically, being a skilful ball player, I thought Williams had his best game for us so far yesterday. Morello getting better and better, controlling the game more than at first. Still not sure about Tunnicliffe although he also did ok yesterday. Would like to see more of Thompson. Romeo looks good. Not so sure about Freeman. Obviously the defence needs strengthening but I reckon if we continue to gel we could make play-offs.
pretty good summing up. I did not seem much other than the goals yesterday. But listening to the commentary, Freeman was several times out of position or "on the wrong side" But then he is not a central defender. Hopefully he can can grow in to the position if we stick with it.
Cowley's comments about the squad's technical capabilities versus consistent 'fight' capacity reminded me of the old coaching maxim:
"Effort without skill beats skill without effort". 
We now know we can beat the best in the division IF we couple our ability with desire.
It was strange how we seemed so much more up for it than them. Perhaps we just felt that something has to change and they were overconfident. In fact, we’d been pretty unlucky in recent matches, drawing when deserving a win and losing when deserving a draw, so it was about time things went our way. That’s not to say that we’ve also put in some pretty inept performances but losing Robertson was a big blow and lack of another centre back could still cost us as neither Freeman nor Williams instill much confidence there. Bazunu is an enormous plus as he’s made some amazing saves and often starts off our attacks with excellent distribution. I’m looking up the table rather than down although we’ve got Rotherham up next which will be difficult. PUP
(04-10-2021, 05:26 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]It was strange how we seemed so much more up for it than them. Perhaps we just felt that something has to change and they were overconfident. In fact, we’d been pretty unlucky in recent matches, drawing when deserving a win and losing when deserving a draw, so it was about time things went our way. That’s not to say that we’ve also put in some pretty inept performances but losing Robertson was a big blow and lack of another centre back could still cost us as neither Freeman nor Williams instill much confidence there. Bazunu is an enormous plus as he’s made some amazing saves and often starts off our attacks with excellent distribution. I’m looking up the table rather than down although we’ve got Rotherham up next which will be difficult. PUP

Until yesterday I would have agreed that Freeman & Williams looked dodgy in the back three, but thought both were excellent on Saturday -  Freeman defensively and Williams coming forward.  Perhaps they have grown into the role.

I also think it is an over-simplification to say they have never played centre back before becuase playing on the sides in a back three is not quite the same as being asked to play centre back in a back 4.  Not many teams play three at the back very often so not many players will have played there before ... doesn't mean they can't. 

Either way I'd rather see them there than Downing on the basis of what he has shpwn so far.
I'd rather see Ogilvie or a new CB ( which we should've got).
Agreed ... I'm sure Ogilvie will play as soon as he is fit. That was what he was bought for.
I think with Curtis & Harness tucked in & playing more like inside forwards as such suits us. Where we couldn't buy a goal we are now scoring & creating. Like others I think Olgivie will end up LCH eventually. Williams or Tunnicliffe will end up on the bench. Morrell must be one of the 1st names on the teamsheet along with Raggers whose outstanding. Its taken awhile but can finally see the pattern within the framework of the team emerging. Just got to try to avoid too many injuries.
3 games ago Morrell was being slaughtered by some on here , now he’s an integral part. Williams is slow but technically very good. I do agree about using the wing back formation and bringing Harness and Curtis more central as old school inside forwards. In midfield I do rate Tunnicliffe, he goes un-noticed but does a great job linking midfield with attack.
I would expect Assiz to play a part too when he's fit again, he's very highly rated and could provide that spark to help create chances.
(04-10-2021, 12:10 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]3 games ago Morrell was being slaughtered by some on here , now he’s an integral part. Williams is slow but technically very good. I do agree about using the wing back formation and bringing Harness and Curtis more central as old school inside forwards. In midfield I do rate Tunnicliffe, he goes un-noticed but does a great job linking midfield with attack.

No he wasn't being slaughtered. People were expressing disappointment that a player, sold as a level above this division, hadn't delivered in three games.
I think you’ll find the comments we’re less generous than ‘ we’re disappointed’. He was being called a waste of money etc.
I wonder why it was that Downing got in the team at the end of the season. Then got kept on. Then started a match or three.
Now as with Jackett he seems out til he leaves.
I wonder what he does to convince the managers he is out out out?
Reviewing the first quarter:

A good start albeit against teams that were struggling and in the bottom 6, then a dose of reality as we came up against some better sides and our weaknesses exposed and the team, and Cowley, under pressure both on and off the pitch.

Then maybe a glimpse of a possible renaissance in the Sunderland performance but with the caveat that we won’t play again in those conditions very often this season (if at all).

‘Tried hard must do a lot, lot better’ would be my summation of the quarter

Cowley’s Pompey have an ideal run of four games to show whether Sunderland was a one-off or the start of something much, much better.

Away to Rotherham, currently 4th
Home to Ipswich, currently 19th
Away to Accrington, currently 10th
Home to Bolton, currently 7th

If we have really turned the corner and are to become play-off contenders, we should surely get a 8 or 9 point haul from the four.
(05-10-2021, 08:39 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Reviewing the first quarter:

A good start albeit against teams that were struggling and in the bottom 6, then a dose of reality as we came up against some better sides and our weaknesses exposed and the team, and Cowley, under pressure both on and off the pitch.

Then maybe a glimpse of a possible renaissance in the Sunderland performance but with the caveat that we won’t play again in those conditions very often this season (if at all).

‘Tried hard must do a lot, lot better’ would be my summation of the quarter

Cowley’s Pompey have an ideal run of four games to show whether Sunderland was a one-off or the start of something much, much better.

Away to Rotherham, currently 4th
Home to Ipswich, currently 19th
Away to Accrington, currently 10th
Home to Bolton, currently 7th

If we have really turned the corner and are to become play-off contenders, we should surely get a 8 or 9 point haul from the four.

Those are all tough games but they are all winnable.

Rotherham area good side, so that will be a tricky one.

Ipswich can be good but tend to ship goals, so we should win that.

Accrington are not bad but if we have any ambition to get out of this league we need to be winning games like that.

Bolton are also decent but we should beat them at home.

I think we’ll get nine points from those games, but I am in an optimistic mood today  Smile .
ExGaffer

Nothing wrong with feeling optimistic !

Don’t disagree with your forecasts but, remember, it’s Pompey we support, success and failure walk hand in hand !
I would think we will get about 5-7 points from that set of fixtures. And I don't think that is a poor return for a team like ours. As long as they don't lose the plot like they did at Burton, ill be happy.
Its looking like the next half a dozen games will be a big pointer in shaping our destiny this season. Is that Sunderland result a one-off? Can we show the same intensity, skills and effort? Can some vital players show some consistency of performance e.g. Marquis, Harness, Raggett etc
Raggett has been extremely consistent this season, hardly putting a foot wrong.
Interesting to read these comments with some hindsight, back when we all still had some hope for the season!