TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Greavsie?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did anyone watch it last night?
I recorded and have just watched it.
absolutely fascinating.
I read his biography but didn't get a feel for it like watching him in action.
One of my boyhood heroes for sure.
Sorry to have missed it, must watch out for a repeat.

I watched him dozens of time during his Spurs days, I was living in London and every other week I took in a London game (every other Saturday it was back to Pompey). I always picked a game where goals seemed nailed on and the pairing of Greaves and Gilzean at White Hart Lane was a pretty obvious choice.
Pity that Pompey fell foul of the pairing in the FA Cup game at WHL although we did well on the day.

I thought Greaves was a great, great striker and so unlucky not to be in the 1966 Final.

Not the archetypical hard working striker so much in vogue these days but an out an out predator with a fantastic eye for goal and a positional sense second to none.

I seem to remember our own Guy Whittingham being in a similar mould albeit one division lower.
Guy played quite a lot in the Premier league, although didn’t really set it alight like he did the old Div 2
(12-10-2021, 05:58 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Guy played quite a lot in the Premier league, although didn’t really set it alight like he did the old Div 2

always seemed odd to turn a rare goal taker into a midfield player.