TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Ipswich
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did at least enjoy hearing that they surrendered a 2 goal lead at Cambridge this weekend. Lol.

So it's two very fragile teams going head to head. I hope the players realise that even if we go 2 down, Ipswich are capable of chucking it away.
Conversely, we can take a two goal lead and chuck that away as well.

Best pray for heavy rain all day and a paddy field to play on, we’re rather good at that.

Bet your money on Cook making it clear to his Ipswich team that this is a mustn’t lose game, should be tasty !
Ipswich score lots and concede lots. Our recent form has been similar in patches. Should be a 0-0 draw!!
4-4 and an entertaining game.
It'll be nice to see Connor. Hope de doesn't score though!
…and let’s have no rounds of ‘we’ve seen you before, you’re fvcking useless….’
That went well on Saturday didn’t it?
It'll be nice to see Paul Cook. Always nice to hear a friendly accent.
(17-10-2021, 05:26 PM)scouse Wrote: [ -> ]It'll be nice to see Paul Cook. Always nice to hear a friendly accent.

I think of quite a few things when I hear a Scouse accent, not sure ‘friendly’ is among them  Smile .
Got off with a very friendly Scouse girl many years ago ........ then she went and blew her chances by throwing up all over me in the back of the taxi!
(17-10-2021, 06:01 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Got off with a very friendly Scouse girl many years ago ........ then she went and blew her chances by throwing up all over me in the back of the taxi!

That's Scouse foreplay
So anyway... I am remembering an away day to Ipswich. Can't remember who won. Somebody will know. I do remember a little museum with some originals by Gainsborough and Constable. Also most of the town centre pubs were strictly home fans only. We weren't wearing colours but I had to get all the rounds in being the only one who was obviously not from Portsmouth. Was Paul Jewell their manager? He's another bloke who talks funny.
(17-10-2021, 05:01 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]…and let’s have no rounds of ‘we’ve seen you before, you’re fvcking useless….’
That went well on Saturday didn’t it?

Absolutely!
I hate this song, its so lacking in any humour or recognition of players who often did a good job for us. 
Smith eventually lost it at fratton Park, but it was noticeable that the away fans thought very highly of him.
Looks like it may be wet/ very wet tomorrow !

Should prevent any real football being played !

Another Sunderland !
It depend on how big a downpour but I'll go for our favourite score of 2-2.
going for a nice flooded pitch again, perfect
will this be on the iplayer, being midweek?
It will be on iFollow as it’s a midweek game for £10
Cowley watched Ipswich live against Shrewsbury last week and has commented on their game with Cambridge such that he clearly has a decent knowledge base on The Tractor Boys and should know what to expect and be able to plan accordingly.

He says he’s mulling over a back four so hopefully the defence will perform better than recently but no amount of planning can ever cope with the simple mistakes which led to at least three of Rotherham’s goals.

Two under-achieving sides under the lights in front of a near capacity Fratton Park crowd should provide some blood and thunder even before The Return of Cook is factored in ! Conor will be desperate to score on his return to his home I would expect,  the game couldn’t be set up better.

My only concern is that blood and thunder often turns out to be thud and blunder, wouldn’t play out well in front of an expectant Pompey crowd (we are still expectant aren’t we ?).
Yeh regarding a back 4 or back 3, DC is stuck between a rock and a hard place. We barely have 1 decent defender, let alone 4. But the general rule of thumb is to try and get your best XI players on the pitch.

So does he go for the 'better' players and have a back 3 (which we know doesn't work) or field a weaker XI but have 4 at the back.

Not a fun decision to make.
After the Rotherham showing, surely it has to be a back four but with the reasonable expectation of the midfield showing much more ball-winning determination than against The Millers where they increasingly seemed to wilt under any sort of pressure.

Whoever plays and whatever the shape we need to be able to withstand Ipswich playing a high press, against Burton and Rotherham Pompey’s resistance soon evaporated and mistakes and holes opened up alarmingly.

I hope it’s not one of those ‘pass it around the back rather than risk making a mistake’ type of performances ! A lot more slick, quick ball (like for the first 25 minutes at Rotherham), hopefully with a goal (or two) to get the crowd behind them and the confidence growing amongst the players.

Can Cowley rally his troops ?
(19-10-2021, 10:53 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yeh regarding a back 4 or back 3, DC is stuck between a rock and a hard place. We barely have 1 decent defender, let alone 4. But the general rule of thumb is to try and get your best XI players on the pitch.

So does he go for the 'better' players and have a back 3 (which we know doesn't work) or field a weaker XI but have 4 at the back.

Not a fun decision to make.

A back 4 of Romeo (or even Freeman), Raggett , Ogilvie & Brown is half-decent at this level, and that's what I'm expecting.  And given that we have struggled to score when playing a back 4, and Ipswich are desperate to stop leaking goals so may go very defensive I can see this being 0-0.
(19-10-2021, 10:38 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Two under-achieving sides under the lights in front of a near capacity Fratton Park crowd  ....................

It won't be anything like a near-capacity crowd .....still loads of seats available all round the ground & £10 to watch in the comfort of your home on ifollow.

I predict a 13,823 crowd ....
13822...my mate isn't going.
(19-10-2021, 02:57 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]13822...my mate isn't going.

13819……. 3 of my mates aren’t going.

It was almost 13818, after going to Rotherham the pub quiz was VERY tempting  Smile .
13819 I haven't got any mates.
Pages: 1 2