TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Catlin resignation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rumour going round he has left Topps?
What rumour? Source?

No searchable news indicating this.
If true, I'm not surprised. He was too good at the football job not to be tempted back by some lucky club.
That's the point teef, I haven't been able to find anything online either. But I have had several people today message me saying they had heard the same thing so I thought I'd see what people on here had heard
(21-10-2021, 03:07 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]The plot thickens https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/michael-ei...ith-topps/

Seems old man Eisner is as tight fisted as they come, no chance of going anywhere with him at the helm.
(21-10-2021, 03:07 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]The plot thickens https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/michael-ei...ith-topps/

Nice One Undercover agent SS. Just read th ewhole piece & Highlighlighted this bit for all our members: 

“The Topps management team said there was a lot we can do to grow the business but we don’t have the capital to do it,” the analyst said. “That probably left an opening,” the analyst added, noting that rivals like Fanatics were more aggressively getting into non-fungible tokens (NFTs) expanding the trading cards business.

Sounds familiar doesn't it! Topps business was 55% invested in the Baseball Cards & looks like it's all gone because they didn't invest enough to grow the business. 

Jumping to conclusions, that may answer why there's been No investment in Pompey players.

It may not be directly related but Tornante is directly related to Topps & ME.
Brilliant piece of investigative work Scumslayer……..whoever tipped you off is a contact to be nurtured.

A nice counterpoint to The Eisner interview (link posted by BSB).
Oh dear. This is very bad news for us. It means his cash cow has lost 55% of its revenue... Talk about falling asleep at the wheel!
Personally I did not see how cards fit into the modern world anyhow.

Children do collect cards such as "Magic" The gathering etc but they are all as part of a game (even top trumps if we want to compare to something older)
Me neither, however....

There was a story out there somewhere (either Forbes/New York Times etc) earlier this year, about a yank who had recently paid $5m for a Mickey Mantle baseball card made by Topps in the 50's. He felt that it was a good investment as it had previously been sold for $2m or so, and that he'd already been offered $8m or so for it since. A signed Lebron James card went for even more.

Funny folk these Americans.
At least he bought a Pompey Polo shirt.
(22-10-2021, 12:54 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I did not see how cards fit into the modern world anyhow.

Children do collect cards such as "Magic" The gathering etc but they are all as part of a game (even top trumps if we want to compare to something older)

I totally agree Hammie & really outdated bearing in mind everything is Online these days but 2 other Companies bid or the business.
Walmart stopped stocking Pokemon cards - there were incidences of people getting stabbed in the car park for them.

Seems like Topps complacently thought that they could do the bare minimum and retain the business - dinosaurs.