TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: I thought our fans were made of sterner stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Turns out we're just the same as those who have been derided over the years on this forum in it's various guises.

Things are hardly perfect right now but so many can't wait to chuck in the towel, sack the board, change the owner.

It's embarrassing.
Hopefully now reality has set in, people will now reset their expectations. This rebuild is going to take some time.

Thats not to say last night was acceptable. But the reasons for being where we are are pretty obvious. We can't change the squad until Jan.
I remember we went hugely to town on Wolves fans on FOL when they were hammering O'Hara and having a meltdown about 'the Wolves way of playing' and what they deserved and were owned as they were meekly relegated from the Premier League.

We are every bit as fucking bad as they are now.
Yes ! Your right !

Trouble is most people have forgotten that this is a brick-by-brick, 50 year project ! All they seem to be concerned about is whether they will be in their coffins before the last brick gets laid…..short-termists all of them.

Of course things are sh*t and undoubtedly worse than when Jackett was recruited and the last two games have posted a new low in our recent fortunes but all we have to do is be patient, keep buying 12,000+ Season tickets a season (and the merchandise), keep the faith and, one day the sun will shine again !

Yeah ! Right !
I can't see any time when Pompey fans would have accepted not only the number of goals being conceded but more so the total collapse of the team in several games. We look fine until we concede then just give up, that is not about coaching or anything else, just a lack of bottle.
No, I think our concerns are justified. League 2 is beckoning, just as Div 3 was beckoning in 75/76, when I came in.
(20-10-2021, 10:57 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Turns out we're just the same as those who have been derided over the years on this forum in it's various guises.

Things are hardly perfect right now but so many can't wait to chuck in the towel, sack the board, change the owner.

It's embarrassing.

WALOB, how feckin patronising,some of us have stood by this club since the 70’s or longer , through good and bad ( mostly bad). The Cowleys need to get it right asap and the Eisners need to make a statement in that they back DC and what the plans are for the next couple of seasons. We are a championship club, it’s where we need to be, it’s where we should be, not constantly rebuilding in L1 with kids and players flattering to deceive. We’re not that deluded that we can’t see our faults , however it’s the way the team capitulated in the last couple of games and the manager seemingly not knowing what to do about it is the main concern for the fans dissent
Oh blah, blah, blah - I've been here forever, Jimmy Dickinson's Mum used to babysit my grandad etc. etc. It's not a who's the best fan contest on ITV3.

People talking about boycotting matches, holding protests, hounding out the owners. What next? Burning effigies, chucking seats on the pitch?

For goodness sake, we've all been through far, far worse than this with the club. People used to come out of a game that had been shit, have a bit of moan in the pub, go home and forget about it 'til the following Saturday.

Get a grip, it's just football. Sometimes the team plays well, sometimes it doesn't. Last time I looked we hadn't gone bust for a bit which is a pleasant change.

Honestly, if it causes you that much angst and stress perhaps sport is not your thing. Eventually it will all come good. Then sometime down the road it'll all go to hell again. Pompey innit.

I hate to think what your blood pressure levels are. I manage to go from game to game quite happily without wanting to set off to Fratton with a pitchfork and blazing torch.
You seem to be the one having a bit of a moment, maybe a nice lie down and a herbal would help.
(20-10-2021, 10:57 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Turns out we're just the same as those who have been derided over the years on this forum in it's various guises.

It's embarrassing.

Go on then, what are we waiting for exactly? Were you one of those who wanted Jackett to stay? Let's wait for er erm well our academy to bear fruit?? Is that it? 

Fuck sake it's obvious this isn't working, change it before we get dragged into a relegation fight.
Blimey, bluetag must've been on the Valium again, she's finally calmed down.
I'm waiting for the next game Jizbag, I don't know what you're waiting for or how you think that anything you do personally will affect it.
Individually it's very difficult to do anything about it. Collectively though just stop attending.
Tbh, when faced with garbage like yesterday I feel entitled to express my feelings. I would prefer not to be watching league 2 football next year and players, coaches and owners should know the strength of feeling. It made several thousand hardy souls feel a bit better taking the mickey out of them for the last 5 mins with the 'we've got the ball, we've lost the ball' chant and maybe it registered with a few of those responsible for the steady decline of this club. If it didn't, well, at least we had a laugh and it took the heat out of the situation. It's better than burying your head in the sand IMO. No point in being a supporter if you don't get involved. We can influence games a little with support and noise, maybe we can also influence a little when things are going from bad to worse. Anyway, that's how I feel right now. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's embarrassing.

Yesterday was a reaction to pent-up frustration that was fed through 3 years of utter shet with jacketball and realisation that we've not moved a single jot forward in four years. It was compounded by the fact that the players effectively downed tools after the first goal. That is not good enough and deserved contempt. Some of the chants were a bit harsh but I understand them.

Luton, Coventry, Peterborough have all passed us by in recent times. Next up to wave as they pass us by will probably be Plymouth and forest green. Most of those teams have lower attendances, krap grounds (Luton) or no ground (Coventry when they went up). 

So I think it's fair to say the fans have an excuse to be rather pessed off at current proceedings..
We were too skint to keep hold of league 1 players in the summer. Replaced them with bargain binners. The owner is a billionaire. Whose fault is it?
I take exception to "passed us by". Luton's ground is still pony, Coventry are homeless every few seasons and Peterborough are still shitty Peterborough, they just gambled on a big spend and it paid off (by contrast look how many times that hasn't worked out for Sunderland).

None of the examples given have actually passed us by. In the grand scheme of things, how have they developed their clubs?
How have we developed ours? In all the years I've been a supporter (over 50) we haven't developed anything.
Tarting up the stadium for a few million while we fight a relegation battle is not development.

If Eisner didn't want to spend some decent money on us he shouldn't have bought in.
The problem with that view is that it states that we have stood still and haven't done anything since we sold the club.

But that isn't true.

The thing that pisses me off about doing the dishes and the housework is that I don't get a pat on the back for doing it, it just gets noticed only if I don't do it.
It's hardly significant investment is it. And what's taken so long to produce plans for revamped stands...he's been here 4 years. Oh yeah...Covid of course ?
(20-10-2021, 05:03 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]I take exception to "passed us by". Luton's ground is still pony, Coventry are homeless every few seasons and Peterborough are still shitty Peterborough, they just gambled on a big spend and it paid off (by contrast look how many times that hasn't worked out for Sunderland).

None of the examples given have actually passed us by. In the grand scheme of things, how have they developed their clubs?

Well they have because despite having delapitated stadiums like Kenilworth road with smaller capacities or no ground they have built squads that are now championship teams. Wycombe didn't even spend the money and went up. Luton will probably end up with a new stadium before even our pathetic Milton end redevelopment takes place. 

I'm no advocating bankrupting ourselves but honestly what is the difference to us now and four years ago. Apart from some Austin mini headlights for floodlights and a bit of paint there is bigger all. No sign of an academy, no yoof coming through and still shopping with the bottom feeders. And some people think wilder would be interested!!
(20-10-2021, 06:43 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-10-2021, 05:03 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]I take exception to "passed us by". Luton's ground is still pony, Coventry are homeless every few seasons and Peterborough are still shitty Peterborough, they just gambled on a big spend and it paid off (by contrast look how many times that hasn't worked out for Sunderland).

Well they have because despite having delapitated stadiums like Kenilworth road with smaller capacities or no ground they have built squads that are now championship teams. Wycombe didn't even spend the money and went up. Luton will probably end up with a new stadium before even our pathetic Milton end redevelopment takes place. 

I'm no advocating bankrupting ourselves but honestly what is the difference to us now and four years ago. Apart from some Austin mini headlights for floodlights and a bit of paint there is bigger all. No sign of an academy, no yoof coming through and still shopping with the bottom feeders. And some people think wilder would be interested!!

So what’s your point?

We should spend money? We shouldn’t spend money?

The formula for success in the lower leagues of football is difficult to define, quite a lot of teams achieve it while spending very little money. It’s usually about the team rather than the individual player (people like Merson aside).

We have a ground many teams in the lower leagues admire and which has impressed great players with its atmosphere. We now own our training ground within the city limits, we have an excellent (pissed off at the moment admittedly) fan base, we have a plan for improving the stadium.

It’s not all doom and gloom.

It only takes a string of good results and times like this are forgotten, fans are a fickle shower  Smile .

I prefer to see the glass half full and I still think the future is bright.

As a fan base we need to be a bit more realistic. It pays to go to places like Rochdale and Accrington and Rotherham and to talk to the locals. They have their feet on the ground, they enjoy any success that comes their way and they know they will never be big clubs. We, on the other hand, have the potential to be big, we should rejoice in that possibility.

I think we are very lucky that our team has achieved, and will achieve, success.

It’s all very well slagging off bad performances, lack of effort and all the rest, that is all part of it. 

Slagging off the club itself is a step too far though. If you think the club is shite and the facilities don’t match your expectations, there are other options within easy reach.

Pompey are my club and always will be, I feel privileged to have followed such a great club.

God this Talisker is lovely  Smile .