TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cowley. Get behind the team.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I do think our crowd can be intimidating to our own players when they are struggling.
I do miss the each player has his own song type of thing. Before kick off we used to sing the lot pretty much every game, must have been a boost to the players as they were warming up.
Would improve the same old list of songs that every club sings, keep them if we must but spread them out a bit!
Having a fanatical crowd as Pompey have is a bit of a double-edged sword. Our crowd is desperate to win and don't ask much of the team other than the basic requirement of 100% effort and commitment, and that is even if things are not going right for the team.  However if the fans detect that the team is not showing the necessary level of commitment and basic skills then they won't be slow in letting them know what they think. So Cowley can be sure the fans will get behind the team but only if the team keep their side of the bargain too.
Well put Pangus. The crowd want the team to do well. Its only when standards drop to a very low level that they turn on the team.

That being said, I do think that a lot of patience has been eroded over the past 10 years of watching many, many poor performances. I certainly feel a lot more weathered than I used to.
I feel weathered too...it's an age thing! If all goes well the team will deserve our support big time. If not,well we pay our money we make our choice.
His time would be better spent telling the players to pull their fingers out, rather than the supporters. l may not go along to every game expecting Pompey to win, but I certainly don't go along to support the opposition.
I'd like to guess that all these people who say they feel weatherd are married.
You want the crowd to get behind the team ?

Then go out an entertain them with commitment and really decent football, managers and their teams who have given that to The Fratton Faithfull have never lacked for the fervent backing of the crowd….even when Pompey have been losing.

Playing pat-a-cake football and running out of steam with 15 minutes to go when the players have hardly broken sweat all afternoon doesn’t cut it…and doesn’t deserve the Fans fervent support.

You want support ? Then get out there and earn it !
Here’s a thought Danny, instead of your daft bonding sessions GoKarting and the like, do this:

Get a full match day video of Pompey v Arsenal in the FA Cup in March 2004 and sit your squad down to watch it !

They will see aPompey side busting a gut and showing plenty of skill against an Arsenal side simply overflowing with talent, even when 5-0 down those Pompey players never stopped doing everything they could to put on a show to the point of hitting the woodwork twice and seeing Sherringham score at the death.

I know the video will bring out the fantastic non-stop support from The Fratton Faithfull to the point where Arsenal, and particularly Thierry Henri, were so very complementary regarding our support of our team.

Those of us there that day had every reason to be proud of Pompey FC and it’s fans, we loved our teams courage, grit and skill in adversity and we showed it.

If you ever show the same level of commitment as that Pompey team, you may earn the same reception.
(29-10-2021, 05:00 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]You want the crowd to get behind the team ?

Then go out an entertain them with commitment and really decent football, managers and their teams who have given that to The Fratton Faithfull have never lacked for the fervent backing of the crowd….even when Pompey have been losing.

Playing pat-a-cake football and running out of steam with 15 minutes to go when the players have hardly broken sweat all afternoon doesn’t cut it…and doesn’t deserve the Fans fervent support.

You want support ? Then get out there and earn it !

Earning our support is one way of doing it, but that would make us no different from any other bunch of supporters who get behind the team only when they are playing well. 

Our reputation as good fans is built on giving good support even when the team are not doing well. That is what makes our fans different from the majority of other clubs, not unique by any means but rare enough to make us stand out.  It is that support that he is calling for alongside a very frank admission that the team does not deserve it at the moment and the reason for that request is that he knows, as we do, that fans providing that kind of support can make a difference in the same way that fans getting ion the players' backs can adversely affect performances.

If you want to be an 'I pay my money I'll boo if I want' or 'show me something good to earn my support' type of fan then of course you have every right to be like that, but you also then lose the right to claim that your support is any better than that at any other cllub.
Deep

You talk pretentious twaddle at times and you are in absolutely no way entitled to decide what sort of supporter I am.

I’ve made my mind up as to how and what sort of Pompey football I support over the last 75 seasons and 14 league games (plus countless cup and other games).

You can strut your stuff as to how dedicated a fan you are but you have absolutely no right to comment on my support, if I choose to criticise (as I often have over the last 75 years) that doesn’t make me any lesser fan than you.

In fact your unthinking, slavish devotion isn’t a quality I particularly admire.
The only thing stopping us singing a song for all the players is the supporters who can't be arsed.

Too many new breeders on Tik Tok and too many old breeders who use Westwood as an excuse for not being arsed.
(30-10-2021, 09:59 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Deep

You talk pretentious twaddle at times and you are in absolutely no way entitled to decide what sort of supporter I am.

I’ve made my mind up as to how and what sort of Pompey football I support over the last 75 seasons and 14 league games (plus countless cup and other games).

You can strut your stuff as to how dedicated a fan you are but you have absolutely no right to comment on my support, if I choose to criticise (as I often have over the last 75 years) that doesn’t make me any lesser fan than you.

In fact your unthinking, slavish devotion isn’t a quality I particularly admire.

I didn't tell anyone what sort of supporter they as individuals have to be let alone you. Everyone on here knows very well already what sort of supporter you are, and as I specifically said you have every right to be that.  But it would seem I hit a nerve.  All I said was what type of support Cowley was calling for.  

And neither did I in any way say what sort of fan I personally am so any interpretation that I was saying I was better than you is entirely in your own head. 

But I did say that historically Pompey fans are known as better than many other club's fans and why ...not exactly controversial, and I'd stand by that all day long.
I don't think Cowley could complain at the support the fans gave today