TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Alternative season ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could it just be that, this season, we will achieve a miracle - ie promotion via the play offs ? 

Previously teams were tackling us assuming that we were nailed on/certainties for an automatic spot, or promotion via the play offs. This season (currently) nobody gives us a prayer .......So knowing what football is about could we just come up on the blind side and do it that way?

Full on confidence and high league ranking has failed us miserably in recent play off campaigns so blind optimism says it COULD happen !

Who saw us ( well I did, but you know what I mean) beating Spurs ? .... who foresaw the Div 2 title coming ?

Football being what is is - a fair wind and a  soggy Fratton - well it could happen.  Rolleyes Rolleyes
(31-10-2021, 01:04 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Could it just be that, this season, we will achieve a miracle - ie promotion via the play offs ? 

Previously teams were tackling us assuming that we were nailed on/certainties for an automatic spot, or promotion via the play offs. This season (currently) nobody gives us a prayer .......So knowing what football is about could we just come up on the blind side and do it that way?

Full on confidence and high league ranking has failed us miserably in recent play off campaigns so blind optimism says it COULD happen !

Who saw us ( well I did, but you know what I mean) beating Spurs ? .... who foresaw the Div 2 title coming ?

Football being what is is - a fair wind and a  soggy Fratton - well it could happen.  Rolleyes Rolleyes

You should go easy on the sauce  Smile .
Ha Ha no none today ....so far - but a wicked sense of the unexpected - ask Man city and Spuds how they enjoyed their day yesterday ?
For a brilliant second half to the season, the January window is of major importance

At least one decent Centre back (maybe two if Robertson is the sick-note many claim), a Striker who can take a decent percentage of chances as and when they arise (and Cowley failed to do that in the summer and the Winter window affords far fewer opportunities).

Plus my own choice of a real box to box midfielder who can make those searing runs and set up chances and also shoot (O’Neil/ Smertin type), if one presented himself I don’t think he would be actively considered as he probably wouldn’t suit Cowleyball.

The chances of finding a decent Centreback and Striker are pretty much negligible given the financial constraints Cowley operates under and the shortage of such players…..without such new blood I regretfully don’t see a second half resurgence.
(31-10-2021, 01:57 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]For a brilliant second half to the season, the January window is of major importance

At least one decent Centre back (maybe two if Robertson is the sick-note many claim), a Striker who can take a decent percentage of chances as and when they arise (and Cowley failed to do that in the summer and the Winter window affords far fewer opportunities).

Plus my own choice of a real box to box midfielder who can make those searing runs and set up chances and also shoot (O’Neil/ Smertin type), if one presented himself I don’t think he would be actively considered as he probably wouldn’t suit Cowleyball.

The chances of finding a decent Centreback and Striker are pretty much negligible given the financial constraints Cowley operates under and the shortage of such players…..without such new blood I regretfully don’t see a second half resurgence.

Why wouldn't a box to box midfielder suit Cowley's style of play ?  I would have thought quite the opposite, someone with the energy to add to the pressing would surely fit right in. 

We are already over last season's budget so as in the summer any new centrebacks or strikers will be dependent on shifting the likes of Downing, Harrison & Jacobs, or at least terminating some unsuccessful loans like Ahadme & Hirst if they have not come good by then. He very nearly achieved moving on Harrison & Jacobs in the summer so I don't see any reason for pessimism about him achieving it in January as he has had plenty of time to line up deals.
Didn’t Harrison refuse a move right up to the last day of the summer window (News Now and Hampshire Live), don’t see why he will oblige in January unless Pompey make it worth his while to move on, certainly paying the remains of his contract up plus a bonus would seem to be the minimum requirement - which doesn’t chime with Eisner’s way of doing things.

Cant help but believe that scenario will apply to Jacobs, Downing etc

Bit of pragmatism required to move some on and bring others in
He's already earmarked a young Arsenal U/23 CB who he's watched at least once maybe more. That maybe why he hasn't been playing Azeez & risking him against over physical Div 1 teams.

Trying to get a decent striker could prove more difficult & maybe offering 2 of our players for a half decent striker.

Ben Thompson, if he's not playing regularly at Millwall is ideal for the midfield role if DC can prise him until the end of the season with an option to buy.

ME will need to invest some of his billions to get some quality though.
The big difference between this team and the Div 2 team is that you could tell with Cookies team that there were decent players scattered all over the pitch. We only missed having a decent keeper really. Once we got in Ford things went much better for us.

This current crop would get absolutely spanked by our Div 2 winning side.
I am not a betting man to coin a phrase but have just placed a bet on us for promotion at 10-1. Stranger things have been known ?
(31-10-2021, 10:15 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]He's already earmarked a young Arsenal U/23 CB who he's watched at least once maybe more. That maybe why he hasn't been playing Azeez & risking him against over physical Div 1 teams.

Trying to get a decent striker could prove more difficult & maybe offering 2 of our players for a half decent striker.

Ben Thompson, if he's not playing regularly at Millwall is ideal for the midfield role if DC can prise him until the end of the season with an option to buy.

ME will need to invest some of his billions to get  some quality though.
If we don’t get Ben Thompson in the January window at least on a loan (his contract runs out in the summer and he’s not even making the first team squad anymore) it means that all the talk of us wanting him was just fan and media hype and the reality is Danny Cowley doesn’t rate him. Time will tell but I for one think we should be making a move for him in January