TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The Curious Case of Micheal Jacobs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looked like possibiy our best signing when he arrived from Wigan. A key figure in two promotions previously and a career record of 411 appearances and 61 goals from midfield with the likes of  Northampton, Wolves and Wigan. On a two year deal here with the option of another year but finds himself largely unable to even make the bench at Pompey.
Either he has a permanent nigel somewhere, in which case Cowley should not have signed him. Or there's a rift between them IMO
(01-11-2021, 03:51 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]Either he has a permanent nigel somewhere, in which case Cowley should not have signed him. Or there's a rift between them IMO

Not sure Cowley signed Jacobs.
Not sure it is that curious. 

He has looked good in flashes for us in the games he has played since Jackett signed him, but has essentially flattered to deceive and has regularly been unavailable for selection due to injury. He then tried his hardest to get away from the club in the summer because he does not want to be here, and doesn't fit the Cowley work ethic so is probably right to want away. And in the few minutes he has had this season he still looks like he wishes he was not here. Sometimes good players just do not click at a new club, and he is one of those.

Just because he is not playing that does not make him the solution to any problems we have, especially as the main contender for his position is one of our better players in Curtis. 

He is also a high wage earner so definitely one we should be moving on in January if we are going to sign the players we need.
I have it on very good authority that MJ does not like the DC style of playing and was very disappointed not to go to Ipswich in the summer. If he can be transferred in January he'll be off
Pompey have a recent track record of turning good players in to poor ones.
Word on the street from Portman Rd was that Cowley didn't want to do business with Ipswich.
It seems like they have fallen out and his days are numbered. Shame, as he looked a decent player, before injury ended his season last year. And given that Harness and Curtis can blow hot and cold at times, as well as keeping them fresh, it would seem like there is a role for a player like that.

What we don't know, is if he has become a disruptive or negative influence, in which case, i think they are right to keep him away from the first team.

That's football though, players, managers and owners come and go. It's only us that remain, no matter what.
(01-11-2021, 06:28 PM)suffolkpompey Wrote: [ -> ]Word on the street from Portman Rd was that Cowley didn't want to do business with Ipswich.

Don't believe that one ... he desperately needed to get Jacobs off the wage bill and would not have agreed to the deal in the first place if that rumour was true.
probably a very good player who either does not want to or is too old to run around like a headless chicken.
If Jacobs does go i wouldn't trust the Cowleys to replace him with anyone better. If its true that the budget is bigger than last year (which im pretty sure is PR Bullshit). His permanent signings with  the exception of Morrell have all been significantly worse than than those who were released last season.
(01-11-2021, 09:38 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]If Jacobs does go i wouldn't trust the Cowleys to replace him with anyone better. If its true that the budget is bigger than last year (which im pretty sure is PR Bullshit). His permanent signings with  the exception of Morrell have all been significantly worse than than those who were released last season.

We couldn't afford the ones we released, any replacements were bound to be downgrades.
2 Kuhl

I suppose that not being able to afford players and having to release them and then bringing in downgrades is just ‘We only eat what we kill” in action.

I don’t know what gate size is required for ‘EWWK’ to allow us to bring in the type of player required to give us the football we all (well, most) desire but I suppose the promised increase to c. 20,000 is the number that clicks with Eisner.

We seem to be getting around 16,000 at the moment and an increase to 20,000 will only generate some £1.2 Million per year and that presupposes that gates will indeed be 20,000 and that each extra ticket costs £300…….and that isn’t nailed on.

Is £1.2 million really enough to bring about a sea-change in our player quality ? If it is, then why doesn’t Eisner put another £1.2 Million in NOW and give The Pompey Fans the football their fantastic support deserves (FYI £1.2 Million is 0.00003% of his current fortune)

Oh ! I forgot ! He didn’t promise to at The Guildhall did he, just EWWK !
I was living abroad and wasn’t there but did he promise us 5 years of treading water at best (some feel sinking slowly in the mud is a better description) and a staggering lack of vision and hope as the result of EWWK ?

I do realise that he has, and will, improve the ground and purchased ROKO but he is simply spending on assets which he wholly owns and eventually will get back all of the money he has invested.
"Is £1.2 million really enough to bring about a sea-change in our player quality ? If it is, then why doesn’t Eisner put another £1.2 Million in NOW and give The Pompey Fans the football their fantastic support deserves (FYI £1.2 Million is 0.00003% of his current fortune)"

Because that's not how he operates and its not part of his plan so it ain't going to happen. And this fantastic support you talk about, all I'm hearing is a lot of whingeing and moaning, even after a win last time out and sitting mid table with two thirds of the season to go.
Eisner’s Modus Operandi seems to be spunk other people’s money (i.e.$400 million of Disney shareholder’s money on Ducks and Angels) and be completely tightarsed with his own money on assets like Pompey.

With regard to support, I thought the level of support on Saturday v Bolton was excellent and the support of the travelling fans is outstanding considering the rubbish that is served up by Pompey in the name of football.

Surely you don't include Boards such as this as a measure of support or otherwise ? All Boards and the views expressed are wholly irrelevant in the extreme, it’s just a very small bunch of posters (I’m one of them) sounding off, nothing more. Our total input is worth precisely diddly squat !

A lot of the views on the games are expressed by people who never saw the game (maybe just some highlights at best).

It’s the paying fans whose opinions matter, they are the people who fund EWWK, who make the noise and whose unstinting support is worth everything…..and who have been taken for granted (or is it a ride) by Eisner.
Like Azeez, has hardly been given a chance by Cowley but when he has come one, he has made a difference, setting up Marquis to assist Harness' equaliser at Accrington for example. Can't help but feel a different manager would make better decisions about the talent at his disposal.
(02-11-2021, 05:18 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Like Azeez, has hardly been given a chance by Cowley but when he has come one, he has made a difference, setting up Marquis to assist Harness' equaliser at Accrington for example. Can't help but feel a different manager would make better decisions about the talent at his disposal.

Unfortunately, as has been already stated he doesn't fit into DCs pressing game & prepared torun around aimlessly like Marquis et al. He's the best experienced attacking midfielder we've got at present who can play the No.10 Role. All too attacking for DC though. He'll be off in January probably to Wigan or Sunderland & will proably come back to destroy us!

Azeez, is potentially far better & much younger but needs to be allowed to prove himself on the pitch Not stuck on the bench.
Given how poor and thin on the ground our squad is, I would have thought Cowley should be swallowing his pride and involving Jacobs … as we are devoid of creativity through the middle