TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: And that, folks, is our level
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(05-11-2021, 01:44 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I backed Jackett until he lost the play-offs to Oxford and stated several times he should have resigned then. He'd come very close but 3 years was long enough. 

Not sure what your point is about the young players being brought in to gain experience. Of course that is the point of such loans. So what ? Earning your place in the team is part of that experience and they haven't (yet), but that does not mean they should not have been signed to give them that chance.  

But you are wrong about the previous experience at a higher level because Hirst had a whole season in the Championship last year. Not very succesful experience admittedly but higher level experience all the same. 

And Ahadme a centre forward ? What evidence do you have of that ?  He looks more someone who plays alongside a centre forward to me, not the main man.  His loan has been affected by his remarkable success in the friendlies (playing as the support striker btw) which resulted in a weight of expectation that he has not been able to live up to because he was not physically up to Lge 1 football.  If he has been trained correctly (and it sounds like he is a hard worker at training with a great attitude) he may yet come good but needs to do so before January because we cannot afford to have the squad place filled by someone who is not going to be up to the job. And certainly not two of them.

There's no way Cowley will be sacked. The club got rid of their 2020 academy players and nearly all of the squad last season based on the Cowley plan so to bin it after 15 or so league games would not be an Eisner thing. I think it would have been promising had they given proper financial support (bollards to the patronising talk of us exceeding our budget), but we've been looking for fluke good signings for too long now. The embarrassing summer trialist rodeo showed just how desperate we became to fill a squad. I can't think any of the top six in L1 chose to conduct their recruitment business in such a tacky manner. Personally, it told me that unless something amazing happen that this season is just going to be one of attrition, grinding out results and just getting by. It's saved me an enormous amount of stress anyway!

Someone raised a good point about the players that remain. I still remember them all downing tools in the disgraceful Paintpot trophy final and the Accrington home game last season so I don't envy Cowley trying to get  them on board with new plans. They demonstrated their ability to withdraw effort when they see fit. The acid test of Cowley is when we get these feckers out the club completely.
OK, I’m happy to bow to the will of the masses ie Cowley should stay ! But :

* How long does he get - until June 2023 regardless of results and the football served up  ?

* I presume that promotion would most certainly be seen as justification for his retention until June 2023

** But would the playoffs be justification ? Or The PisxPot Final again ?

**What if it’s none of those…..and gates start to fall and the playing budget gets cut ?

In short, how do you measure Cowley’s success or failure ? How low are you setting the bar ?

We could have kept Adams, Hart, Barker and the like for a three year term but didn’t, I don’t seem to remember the fans wailing and gnashing their teeth, most were pleased to see them go.

What is so different about the current situation apart from Eisner ?
I don't think there's anything invalid with what you've said Wighty, despite having a different opinion. I actually agree with pretty much everything you've said!

I just want the torture to end too but I don't see a scenario where DC goes and it puts us in a better position. It's what happens after the dismissal which is the crux.

I think the only thing that would make it worthwhile is if season ticket sales take a massive dive so it then becomes more economical to find a replacement to boost sales. However that will be a horrendous situation as playing budget would no doubt be slashed, perpetuating a viscous cycle downwards.
Pages: 1 2 3