TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Crowd numbers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sitting there today
This team feels a lot like the stagnant teams when we sunk to crowds of 7-11 thousand
I'm very pleased I could not do an ST this season as it felt more like a duty than a pleasure supporting this lot.
I wonder how many ST holders will end up staying at home for some games if nothing changes.
(06-11-2021, 07:19 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Sitting there today
This team feels a lot like the stagnant teams when we sunk to crowds of 7-11 thousand
I'm very pleased I could not do an ST this season as it felt more like a duty than a pleasure supporting this lot.
I wonder how many ST holders will end up staying at home for some games if nothing changes.

Well if they go purely for the football they might Hammie.

For a lot of people, including me, it’s as much a social meet up with mates in the pub as it is football these days.

I watched them yesterday and felt almost detached from it all, there was no passion, a non league keeper had a very easy afternoon, despite the huge amount of possession we enjoyed. Toothless and passionless just about sums it up.

There were a lot of excited kids there though, which bodes well for the future. They all seemed quite happy with the proceedings, so it’s not all bad I suppose.
(07-11-2021, 07:06 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2021, 07:19 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Sitting there today

Well if they go purely for the football they might Hammie.

For a lot of people, including me, it’s as much a social meet up with mates in the pub as it is football these days.

I watched them yesterday and felt almost detached from it all, there was no passion, a non league keeper had a very easy afternoon, despite the huge amount of possession we enjoyed. Toothless and passionless just about sums it up.

There were a lot of excited kids there though, which bodes well for the future. They all seemed quite happy with the proceedings, so it’s not all bad I suppose.
Agree with both posts.

Pre covid, there were a group of about 8 that used to sit just behind us. For them football was a free pass to get out with their mates, have a few beers, place a few bets and have a laugh with mates. They were harsh critics and a barometer for how well or badly we were playing. On a good day they could stay until the 80th minute, and on a bad, 25 minute departures were not uncommon. And either cheers or boos was their means of letting everybody know their verdict.

I had no problem with that, they paid their money, filled the ground and added to the atmosphere.

We've had 16,000+ passionate regulars for some years now, in all four divisions. With more, enthusiastic to attend if the chance came up.

But the previous posts are correct, you cannot take those numbers for granted. I don't think its the quality of the football will do it (as we have had poor sides during those periods), but i do think the style of football, character and passion of the team and a lack of clear direction from the management, will drain the hope and enthusiasm of the 7,000.

With a lot of financial upheaval over the last 18 months, if you have to make a tough decision where you spend money, are you going to do it watching us at present.
Looking in the paper today, Pompey's crowd was on a par with other games. The first round of the FA Cup just doesn't get the blood stirring  anymore.
(07-11-2021, 02:13 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Looking in the paper today, Pompey's crowd was on a par with other games. The first round of the FA Cup just doesn't get the blood stirring  anymore.

In the last ten years we have usually got 8 or 9 thousand for FA Cup first and second round games, whether against league or non-league opposition. The only exception to that was the local derby against Aldershot which got 11,000. 

In that context just under 7,000 against such low opposition is not such a disaster.
Its not so much the size of the crowd (which did include a very good number of young families) but whether our crowds will hold up with such a tepid offering from the team. Not ability, more attitude. This lot don't really feel worthy of our support more often than not.
Lengthy piece, in the News, criticising Charlton fans for not taking the game seriously, leading to a v small crowd. This would be the same News that didn't give the usual full coverage, in Friday's edition, of Pompey's game.
The Charlton v Hawks gate was 3865 of which 874 were Hawks fans