TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Sadly I'm kinda bored of the Fratton End
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Title says it all really. This has been brewing for a few years now but this season has really cemeted by mindset.

There's no creativeness for new songs, and even some old songs don't take off any more, so we are left with the same circlejerk songs that every other teams fans sing up and down the country bar the Chimes. Don't get me wrong it's still loud at times. Crewe, Rochdale, Sunderland and Plymouth were all good atmospheres where I actually came away with a sore through. After Plymouth it took about a week to recover. Under Jackett aside from a few matches I don't think I left a home game with sore throat so there has been an improvement at least.

I've thought about moving to the North Lower near the away fans but they don't stand up all game unless it's a big big game (play-offs, prem team in the cup etc), and even with the ankle issues I suffer the idea of sitting down at a footie game is an alien concept to me. If they stood all game I'd move there in a heartbeat. It's not like we dont' have enough fans that stand up, go to an away match and 90% do, the issue is that they are all spread around the ground so with the excpetion of the FE from the entrance stairs upwards there is no section/s that does. When I look around the ground on MOTD or whatever highlights I'm watching it seems most teams have a few sections dotted around. I'm not expecting up to go full Leeds or West Ham where almost the entire stadium is standing all game, for starters we don't have the fanbase of either but even Arsenal have home fans all standing behind both goals. ARSENAL FFS!!! I don't for one minute think that simply bringing back standing will suddenlt improve the songbook or atmosphere (see away games is still the same shit), but the status quo isn't helping if anything it's making it worse

I'd love for there to be a breakway group of sorts that moved to either the North Lower or Milton end to resucitate the atmosphere and creativity that we could have (no instruments or clowns allowed Big Grin ). The latter I suppose would have to be for games where it's a given that the away following would be lower due to capacity issues but it's been dont before. Problem is I dont' know anyone at the club to contact to discuss the idea, and more importanly I don't know anyone outside of the two other blokes I go the matches with to spread the word like what happened with the Wigan game all those years ago. Same thing happened when we played QPR around a similar time and it worked, there was an atmosphere all around the ground.

Not really sure what else to do but just wanted to share an opinion that is held by more than a few around here. I'll never stop going to the park barring me actually moving away from Pompey but surely we as a collective can do better than what we have currently.

Anyways Play Up Pompey Smile
totally agree. Trouble to me is that whereas the oldies used to naturally gravitate to the north and south upper leaving younger fans to invent and sing new songs, the Fratton End is now stagnant.

We hardly even sing our own unique song any more
No songs for individual players.

Actually not helped by the wall of noise thing.
(12-11-2021, 07:11 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]totally agree. Trouble to me is that whereas the oldies used to naturally gravitate to the north and south upper leaving younger fans to invent and sing new songs, the Fratton End is now stagnant.

We hardly even sing our own unique song any more
No songs for individual players.

Actually not helped by the wall of noise thing.

Cant beat standing all game but then I have a bad back. North lower near the Milton is a tough place to be. Regularly humiliated by away fans after another piff poor performance it's not for the faint hearted. 

The fratton end is stagnant because there's feck all to sing about, hardly any players who we respect enough and a manager that not everybody likes. Personally I liked the singing at the Ipswich game.
What was wrong with "we've got the ball/ we've lost the ball' v Ipswich?
Funny, original and very Pompey when things are tough.
more of that type of singing, although without the on pitch humiliation would be nice.
raggie must warrant a song by now
Get rid of the Retard and his childish crew and you might see an improvement in the variation of songs.
Never really understood the accolades often showered on the Pompey crowd, but then I only really started coming in the doldrum days. Basically Pompey have three chants, one with three words, one with two and the other with one. I’ve been in the Union Berlin and Real Betis crowds when their backs were to the wall (literally in Union’s case) and it puts most English crowds to shame.
Nerrr... Ner-Ner-Ner...
Has anyone asked STEVE what he thinks about it?
I’m guessing it’ll involve the word shit….
Fratton end in the 80s had about 30 songs and most were original and sung very loud
(13-11-2021, 11:56 AM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]Never really understood the accolades often showered on the Pompey crowd, but then I only really started coming in the doldrum days. Basically Pompey have three chants, one with three words, one with two and the other with one. I’ve been in the Union Berlin and Real Betis crowds when their backs were to the wall (literally in Union’s case) and it puts most English crowds to shame.

The demise of terraces and the ‘oo you can’t say that you might offend someone’ crew have severely hampered the generation of atmosphere in British stadiums.

Having said that, the atmosphere at Fratton can still be pretty good if the team gives the crowd something to shout about,
(13-11-2021, 01:09 PM)Cressers Wrote: [ -> ]Nerrr... Ner-Ner-Ner...

Ay yes. Forget Lennon. Forget Dylan. Those words always send a shiver down my spine....
Here's one for us to sing:
He's one of our own, he's number one of our own, Alex Bass, he's one of our own!
Thought the Fe didnt really come to life until Harness scored the winner. Am I right ?
Up until Jacobs scored there was nothing to sing about.
2 good chances down the Me in the 1st half, both not taken. Even after Jacobs scored I just didnt think the Fe really got behind their team until Harness scored
It might just be me, but I don't feel this team gets me going. Not sure why, I've supported far worse, far louder.
I did feel particularly anti before the start today, hearing Bass was dropped, then watching him trying his best to warm up and his heart very obviously not being in it.
Are we just becoming another club that bows and scrapes to borrow premier league youngsters and develop them at the expense of our own? I loved watching Michael Thomas but don't recall his blocking one of our youngsters.

Maybe I'm just old.