TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Joe Laidlaw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I doubt too many on here will remember him, but sad that Joe Laidlaw died yesterday at 71.  He wasn't with the club too long but captained them to promotion from Div.4 and then did well for us at the start of the 1980/81 season but moved to Hereford midway through.

Snooze article

Old MOTD clip - Pompey v Fulham
Sad news.  He lived in the area after retiring and played in local Sunday leagues. I'm sure many on here will have played against him.
My favourite from the olden days. A seriously class performer. He may have been two or three stone overweight, but, with a couple of youngsters around him, doing the fetching and carrying, he would always add the class. I know nothing about Carlisle, but I have no doubt that he was the driving force behind them getting into the old first division. 74/75, I think it was.
Great player, in that team with Tait, Rogers, Hemmerman, Brisley etc. RIP Joey,
I remember him and far post Brisley! Sad news indeed!

RIP Joe.
RIP Joe, fantastic times.
Did he have an ailment?
You are right Deep. Like you say many would have played against him in the local leagues, maybe with him in their team.
I played against him, Saturday league though.
RIP Joe. That Div 4 team put the pride back in Pompey. Remember a great goal of his at Huddersfield when we won 3-1. Played against him in Sunday football he must have been well into his fifties then.
RIP Joe. That end of season game at Northampton when we got promotion was one of my all time favourites. Great days. Sad to lose him so young
Just read that both his grandson and granddaughter are in the club youth set ups. I bet we don't have many ex players who have left such a long term link to Pompey.
Yes, sad news.

I remember that promotion season very well and the trip to Northampton was one of those legendary days out.

RIP Joe.
I went to the evening game at Donny quite soon after we signed him. Can't remember the score but I do remember the Donny faithful singing ´Joey Laidlaw, what a w**ker, what a w**nker`for about half an hour solid!
Laidlaw and Brisley could certainly teach current midfielders a thing or two about getting into the box and scoring goals.
As could Yosser Tait. Remember the hat trick he scored in 5 minutes!
A very sad loss. Really committed player & led by example. Great midfielder general with the immaculate Terry Brisley. Jeff Hemmernan up front scoring the goals. Great promotion season! R.I.P. Joe.
(20-11-2021, 11:33 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]As could Yosser Tait. Remember the hat trick he scored in 5 minutes!

I think I heard that on Radio Victory. Was it midweek?
Yeah, evening kick-off. Often the best.
(22-11-2021, 06:22 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, evening kick-off. Often the best.

I always associate him with Alan Rogers. Spraying passes out to the left wing for Rogers to do his trick (he only had one but it was aa good one), who would set up a goal.
Yeah, that little step over he always did. One trick pony! Great left foot though.
Sad news indeed.
I remember him bossing my favorite ever home pompey performance .
It was 79/80 in the old 4th and we beat Darlington in a proper seesaw battle as it went 0-11-1 2-1 2-2 3-2 3-3 and Joe was fouled in the box in the 90th minute and Garwood dispatched the pen for a 4-3 win.
Fantastic game and proper noisy atmosphere.
RIP Joe