TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Why aren’t we in Blue Shirts and White Shorts ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our traditional strip is Blue and White, why are we, yet again, in the poxie all orange strip ? Why ?

Do we have a warehouse full of replica strips to flog ? Doesn’t our heritage matter to anyone in the Fratton hierarchy. ?

I well understand that nobody from Jackett thro to Eisner (via Catlin) has any real appreciation of what it’s like to be a Pompey fan, but personally, as a fan in his 76th year of supporting Pompey, I’m getting really fecked of by the tampering with our heritage.

But a least we have just scored ?
I detest the away and third strip crap and the plastering of a sponsor that is bigger than the club badge.
Sadly all the away fans who turned up wearing non blue kit encouraged it.
If we all stopped buying them, the clubs would stop this rubbish.
I do wonder what the Eisner's think of it. American football teams don't do it for instance.
(16-01-2021, 03:20 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Our traditional strip is Blue and White, why are we, yet again, in the poxie all orange strip ? Why ?

Do we have a warehouse full of replica strips to flog ? Doesn’t our heritage matter to anyone in the Fratton hierarchy. ?

I well understand that nobody from Jackett thro to Eisner (via Catlin) has any real appreciation of what it’s like to be a Pompey fan, but personally, as a fan in his 76th year of supporting Pompey, I’m getting really fecked of by the tampering with our heritage.

But a least we have just scored ?

They were wearing white shorts and red socks, so surely it's obvious we had to wear a change strip.  Huh
Probably not all orange v red though - it was a bit dazzling.
Questions rightly asked why we weren't in the white kit today
You are obviously correct Deepblue, silly me for not noticing.

I presume that Pompey will have the opportunity to play in our traditional Blue and White strip when we are away to Oxford who play in Yellow shirts and Black shorts as I remember......but I’m not holding my breath, tradition isn’t something I associate with modern football (unless there’s some money to be made by invoking it).

Can anybody remember when the ‘rules’ were changed such that teams had to have different coloured shorts ? 

I was certain that I saw Pompey in our Championship Years, playing against sides who had white shorts the same as us, so I dug out POMPEY by Mike Neasom, Mick Cooper and Doug Robinson and there on Page 56 (v Charlton), Page 57 (v Villa and and v Blackpool) and Page 58 (v Chelsea) were Pompey in white shorts as were the opposition.

In The Official Centenary book Page 123 has a photo of Brian Newman making his Pompey debut on April 16th 1955 being tackled by a Chelsea player, again, both teams wearing white shorts.

Looking at photos from later seasons it’s clear that a change had been made but nothing in the body copy mentions it.

Anybody know for sure when and why the change was made ?

I thrive on such trivia !