TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Let's say we get promoted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jackett was hired to get us out of League One based on his CV.
Which manager (s) has a similar record of promoting teams from Championship to Premier League?
Usually the one who is given the most money to spend by the owners. It would be very disappointing if the Eisners did not come up with a big pile of money.
I don't think KJ is the man for the Championship and I don't think the Eisners will throw a big pile at whoever gets the job. I do believe that they will back whoever is the manager with a decent budget to enable us to survive and compete in the Championship. IMO I believe the Eisners want to stabilise us to be a successful Championship club whether that would eventually mean us competing for promotion to the premiership is a completely different scenario altogether.

As for the manager, somebody like Warnock for a year or two to establish us would be a good idea IMO.
(17-01-2021, 04:14 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the one who is given the most money to spend by the owners. It would be very disappointing if the Eisners did not come up with a big pile of money.

The Eisners have made it quite clear they will not pump money into the playing side. We can expect a decent increase in the salary total but basically they will stick to the eat what you kill policy that they won the vote with. Nor should we want them to saddle us with huge debts cos we know where that leads. 

We would be lower half of the division in finances so we would need a manager with a good record of achieving with a low budget or with youngsters.  But I wouldn't write Jackett off - his record in the championship is nowhere near as good as in Lge 1, but he did to well with Wolves in their first season up after he got them promoted.
The squad needs virtually replacing wholesale to stay up in the Championship - let's be honest.

That's before we talk about the manager
(17-01-2021, 05:52 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]The squad needs virtually replacing wholesale to stay up in the Championship - let's be honest.

That's before we talk about the manager

That's not what the game against Bristol City would indicate.  

IMO 5 or 6 players would be plenty. McGillivray would be fine, Whatmough fine, Curtis fine, and Raggett, Williams, Naylor, Harness & Jacobs have all played there before. 

The gap between the top of League 1 and the bottom of the championship is probably the smallest all the promotions.  It's a huge gap to the top half of the championship but the bottom half and the league 1 top 6 are much of a muchness, as proven by how hard the likes of Sunderland & Ipswich find it to get out again after relegation.
(17-01-2021, 05:16 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-01-2021, 04:14 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the one who is given the most money to spend by the owners. It would be very disappointing if the Eisners did not come up with a big pile of money.

The Eisners have made it quite clear they will not pump money into the playing side. We can expect a decent increase in the salary total but basically they will stick to the eat what you kill policy that they won the vote with. Nor should we want them to saddle us with huge debts cos we know where that leads. 

We would be lower half of the division in finances so we would need a manager with a good record of achieving with a low budget or with youngsters.  But I wouldn't write Jackett off - his record in the championship is nowhere near as good as in Lge 1, but he did to well with Wolves in their first season up after he got them promoted.

Agree with Deep. And take heart that Rotherham, Coventry, Barnsley of recently promoted teams aren't fodder & seemingly holding their own (ooh errr). Its easy to say we'd get hammered but I think we'd be ok ish. Yes there would be days when we'd lose badly like the aforementioned teams. It wouldn't be all doom & gloom.
The Premier League is a haven for about six clubs. The rest just scramble for enough points to maintain their 'top-flight' status and make them marketable. Most will resort to desperate measures to keep them there and keep the millions flowing into their coffers. To me it's a tawdry marketplace so far removed from the top flight of the Jimmy Dickinson days as to be unrecognisable. Throw into the mix the gimmicks of VAR and it's not something I would want to watch.
First we have to go up in one of the automatic places. I'd gladly take 2nd behind Lincoln right now.

Yes, the owners will need to spend some dosh & wages are a lot higher for decent players.

But with 5-6 of our current players & a few astute signings including the elusive Box to Box midfielder & a decent 20 goal a season Centre Forward we could maybe finish 4-6 from bottom with a good cup run in the first season.

KJ knows what's required for the championship but whether he can execute it now is a different matter!
If Kenny keeps 442 then we should be ok. I worry about him slipping back into old habits.

We were getting deeper and deeper as the game went on against fleetwood.
I feel the same Pedalo

We played 442 at Sunderland, Lincoln and Hull and a high line as well, we dominated the games against 3 of the better sides in L1.

Against a really defensively poor Fleetwood side he reverted to 4411 and we never dominated them at all, we worked hard but looked pretty ordinary in general and still Fleetwood chances that another team might/ would have taken.

442 would have likely seen us on the front foot and probably in complete command over Fleetwood, the home games against Lincoln and Hull (two teams we dominated in the away games playing 442) will show us whether Jackett has really changed his spots or whether the old defensive KJ is just a scratch beneath the surface.

We look so much better defensively in a 442 allied to a highline,it’s hard for the opposition to attack when they are constantly on the back foot.

Go for it Kenny !
Fleetwood was pre desperate at times. Once we scored we were hanging on & only survived because they couldn't finish. Great result but can't say we deserved it.
(18-01-2021, 09:01 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Fleetwood was pre desperate at times. Once we scored we were hanging on & only survived because they couldn't finish. Great result but can't say we deserved it.

How can you say the defence did not deserve it ? 

They were superb in the second half. Never gave them a sniff of a chance... I can't imagine a defensive performance more the opposite of 'hanging on'.
(19-01-2021, 12:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I can't imagine a defensive performance more the opposite of 'hanging on'.

You didn't watch the game then Deep?