TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Jacobs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone else been surprised by his ability to beat his man? I knew he was a good passer and wide midfield player, but did not appreciate just how much of a winger he is. Really looks a class above in the ability to beat a man thus creating space behind to run into, pulling other defenders across or giving himself space to run into and shoot. It looks effortless too.
I'm not sure i want to see him sold and then come back to play against us during the run in!
I think he is our best player. We desperately need him to stay but all the soundbites point towards a January exit.
Shame if that happens...... ALL stakeholders including : Owners/Board/ Manager et al should address the question in regard to Jacobs, and pertaining to his longevity at the club/game time etc ;
WHAT IS BEST FOR PORTSMOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB ?
He certainly looks like a very good skilful player with a good track record of playing key roles in promotion sides previously. Surely we should make very effort to keep him and play him, and get the owners to settle on a contract that values him properly.
The biggest problem is that our biggest attacking threat over the last couple of seasons has been Curtis. He is most effective in the same position as Jacobs preferred position. How to get both in the team is a tricky one.
If we did want to accommodate him then I think we'd have to move Harness back to the rt wing and Jacobs central,however, Harness is playing very well there. So I'd imagine he'll be used as an impact sub.
Most fans see him either as an impact player or an under-utilised gem. I'm in the latter category and think it has been a mistake for DC to side line him for so long. I think he should be starting games.
That’s what we’re discussing, but were would you play him? There’s only 2 positions he can play effectively. Wide on the left which would mean dropping Curtis or playing in the number 10 role which Harness is currently performing really well in. The only way to fit him in, is to take a chance and play him as the number 10 and move Harness back to his wide right billet.
When he came on on Saturday which position did he take, I can't remember? Only that he popped up on the right wing to score the deflected goal.
Surely Jacobs and Curtis are experienced enough players to play anywhere up front. After all, defenders move across the back line as needed.
(29-11-2021, 07:01 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Surely Jacobs and Curtis are experienced enough players to play anywhere up front. After all, defenders move across the back line as needed.

Curtis is definitely more effective wide on the left. It's a big difference between wide and central up front
(29-11-2021, 07:19 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-11-2021, 07:01 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]Surely Jacobs and Curtis are experienced enough players to play anywhere up front. After all, defenders move across the back line as needed.

Curtis is definitely more effective wide on the left. It's a big difference between wide and central up front

although I thought Curtis played the best he ever has on the right last week. ie his best performance on the right, not his best performance full stop.
Certainly I see Curtis as the more adaptable player with the ability to play threatening roles anywhere along the front three. He has the addition of unpredictable brilliance that becomes unsettling to defenders in regulated positions. 
As for Jacobs it is difficult to believe that any other Div. One team would not starting him every week - certainly not as adaptable as Ronan, but what a player to keep on the bench, ask Gills!
Jacobs has the experience and end product though. Curtis not so much, although he does have his strengths. Even in a like for like, my preference would be Jacobs on the right wing or as part of an attacking 3.
Pedalo, look at their respective goal and assist stats. Curtis wins hands down (he’s scored more goals in 150 odd fewer games) so not sure Jacobs has more “end product”. Curtis also puts in a hell of a shift.
My issue with Curtis is that he can't cross for shit and often holds on to the ball too long and gets tackled.

When I watch Jacobs it seems like he rarely (if ever) gets tackled, puts crosses into dangerous areas, or almost always finds another blue shirt.

They have different styles. Curtis is blood & thunder,, which can be erratic. Jacobs is calm and competent. I just prefer Jacobs.
Maybe the gaffer gave him the captains armband on Saturday to get him thinking more about negative petulance Pedalo. (hope it works.....)
(01-12-2021, 02:16 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the gaffer gave him the captains armband on Saturday to get him thinking more about negative petulance Pedalo. (hope it works.....)

i suggested a while back that making Curtis captain might improve him, nice to know that Cowley listens to us!  Confused
Jacobs is our best player which hopefully DC can see now.

He's a No.10 so play him there with Harness & Curtis wide.

We need him so he can dictate play & feed the other players.
I don’t get this Jacobs love in. He’s hardly been brilliant for us, 3 goals in 26 appearances. Ok, on Saturday he got us 2 extra points with a nice bit of skill (and a lot of luck) but has hardly turned it on since he arrived.
(01-12-2021, 08:49 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t get this Jacobs love in. He’s hardly been brilliant for us, 3 goals in 26 appearances. Ok, on Saturday he got us 2 extra points with a nice bit of skill (and a lot of luck) but has hardly turned it on since he arrived.

I’m sure that we have a really good win percentage for all the games he has started, and this season he has positively influenced games as an impact sub.
(29-11-2021, 04:53 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Most fans see him either as an impact player or an under-utilised gem. I'm in the latter category and think it has been a mistake for DC to side line him for so long. I think he should be starting games.

Did DC sideline him as such or was it just that he's got a poor injury record and was out injured the majority of this season? Can only remember a couple of times that he was fit (I think) and not on the bench but could be wrong.
(01-12-2021, 08:43 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Jacobs is our best player which hopefully DC can see now.

He's a No.10 so play him there with Harness & Curtis wide.here

We need him so he can dictate play & feed the other players.

No he's not. Leave Harness where he is as he scores goals and it's his best position.