TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Late pitch inspection for Sheff Wed game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lots of wind and rain forecast.
Sunderland all over again!
Let's hope that's an omen. Most of the really hard rain is forecast for the morning then storm force winds it seems.
Little window of opportunity 7-8pm for getting to the game in less stormy conditions.
I had no idea that Eisenhowers' meteoroligist was still alive!!
As a point of interest for you guys.
The Isle of Wight has always been a big supporter of PFC.
Due to the failings of Wightlink it is impossible for Island fans to return home via the catamarran service for any evening game....the last one leaves before the game has even finished!
As a consequence our supporters club have an arrangement to travel with Hovertravel, including a bus back to Southsea after the game, all in for a very reasonable price; although it only carries about 90 passengers. Good luck to them they've been marvellous. We can't praise them too highly, they are so helpful.
However, due to the weather, they will probably have to cancel tonight and transfer us the catamarran (if that's running) and, in the unlikely event we actually get to the game, we will have to return on the 2359 car ferry (to Fishbourne not Ryde) with most supporters getting home at around 0130 in the morning...probably about the same time as away fans get back to Sheffield!
It's a joke.
Wightlink don't seem to do anyone many favours with their poor service and high prices. I had no idea Hovertravel had laid on all these extra services. Good on them and good on the IOW contingent for continuing to provide valuable support under tough conditions. Makes my complaining about a 20 minute walk in the wind and rain seem trivial!!!

Deebo

Bring back the old ferries. I did 4 years from 68-72 on those every day and didn't miss a day at college or a match. Rain wind snow fog - they always got us safely there and back. Safe journey tonight to all the Islanders.
There use to be paddle steamer that moored and docked at South Parade Pier.  Bring that back it'll a great crossing.

Just been to Langstone Habour it's howling from S/SE turning S/SW tonight. At least 45/50 mph at the moment.
Did they also used to call at Sandown / Shanklin back then?
Hopefully they'll do a pitch inspection early enough for the IoW folk not to be potentially seriously inconvenienced tonight.
It’s on Sky , so I’d assume the greedy feckers won’t want it called off.
(07-12-2021, 02:10 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Did they also used to call at Sandown / Shanklin back then?

Indeed PS Ryde  some interesting history
Should have left it on tomorrow evening shouldn't they? Keep messing about with our plans.
(07-12-2021, 10:24 AM)blueandwight Wrote: [ -> ]As a point of interest for you guys.
The Isle of Wight has always been a big supporter of PFC.
Due to the failings of Wightlink it is impossible for Island fans to return home via the catamarran service for any evening game....the last one leaves before the game has even finished!
As a consequence our supporters club have an arrangement to travel with Hovertravel, including a bus back to Southsea after the game, all in for a very reasonable price; although it only carries about 90 passengers. Good luck to them they've been marvellous. We can't praise them too highly, they are so helpful.
However, due to the weather, they will probably have to cancel tonight and transfer us the catamarran (if that's running) and, in the unlikely event we actually get to the game, we will have to return on the 2359 car ferry (to Fishbourne not Ryde) with most supporters getting home at around 0130 in the morning...probably about the same time as away fans get back to Sheffield!
It's a joke.
Am in same boat..excuse the pun..Been looking forward to this game for a while.There is no way i can get back on 00:00 car ferry then if i cant get a lift shell out £20 for a taxi..Mate iam going with has a 1year old at home and cant get back at 01:15...Just can believe how cut off we are becoming over here so Wightlink can make more and more money.They think every crossing should make a profit.Music fans are also suffering because of the compkete lack of a service beyond 20:15.
This sevice needs to be regulated as it really impacts peoples lives over here.
Coonts!!
How bad are the conditions in Pompey? Pretty bad in the Kingston area now.
Pitch inspection at 6.30pm
(07-12-2021, 05:10 PM)Alcopops Wrote: [ -> ]Am in same boat..excuse the pun..Been looking forward to this game for a while.There is no way i can get back on 00:00 car ferry then if i cant get a lift shell out £20 for a taxi..Mate iam going with has a 1year old at home and cant get back at 01:15...Just can believe how cut off we are becoming over here so Wightlink can make more and more money.They think every crossing should make a profit.Music fans are also suffering because of the compkete lack of a service beyond 20:15.
This sevice needs to be regulated as it really impacts peoples lives over here.
Coonts!!

I read somewhere that the I O W ferry is officially the most expensive per mile  in the UK
Yes that’s usually accepted as true.
I thought it was in the world?
(08-12-2021, 07:48 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it was in the world?

I think it depends on whether you are comparing foot passengers, car journeys, like for like ferries etc.

Suffice it to say that it is a tad pricey (less so for island residents I think).
Is that discrimination?
Now if it were only run by Cal-Mac, it would get a 90% subsidy and be only £2.50 return.
I've an 8 seater car which makes using the car ferry a very good option when we want a day out. Do the car ferries run late enough for fans with larger cars to club together?
(08-12-2021, 04:29 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I've an 8 seater car which makes using the car ferry a very good option when we want a day out. Do the car ferries run late enough for fans with larger cars to club together?

Yes you can do that.
It is not so much the high cost but the lack/withdrawl of Cat and Car ferry services.
The Cat used to run 22:15 23:15 and 00:15.This was reduced to 22:45.Now the last Cat leaves at 20:20.
The car ferry used to run 22:00 23:00 00:00 now it has been reduced to 22:00 then 00:00.The car ferry terminates in Fishbourne which is in the middle of nowhere really.The Cat can generally run in poor weather when the hover can not
Hover travel have been great running a special service when Pompey play evening games but this can be cancelled if the weather is bad.This is what happened last night.Hover resumed their service at 17:30 but had to cancel the football hover due to a change in the weather.This meant we were transferred to the midnight car ferry.
I got home at 1:30
Would have been great to see a goal!
Pages: 1 2