TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Reaction: Pompey 0 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
But no end product,   So far!!
First time I have seen Hirst play,  plenty of enthusiasm, Big strong lad.  Two good chances first a good strong run but instead of passing to a player in the open (Curtis I think) he just runs into  three defenders, The second one on one all he has to do is place it into the corner but put it straight at the goalie. Let’s hope he can get something in the second half. I think he looks to me to have a slight edge on 
Marquis ( not a great benchmark I know)
Hirst excellent 1st half missed a great chance then faded along with everyone else. Two points lost I think but decent performance. Cowley missed a trick by not freshening things up. Jacobs surely is better than Azeez. Is he injured?
My thoughts exactly. Lots of huff and puff from both sides with no end result.
perhaps we would have been more likely to win if they had not had a player sent off?
A decent point and a clean sheet. Steadyish improvement since the Ipswich & Rotherham embarrassments.

Looks like we have improved our level from mid-table duffers to playoff flirters.
(07-12-2021, 10:42 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps we would have been more likely to win if they had not had a player sent off?

Yes, inevitably Wednesday dropped back, making it harder for either side to score.
Absorbing goalless draw but the high point for me was Curtis’ cheeky grin at the lower North supporters after the Sheffield sending off…..
(07-12-2021, 11:48 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]Absorbing goalless draw but the high point for me was Curtis’ cheeky grin at the lower North supporters after the Sheffield sending off…..

Yes, I did enjoy that!
(08-12-2021, 07:47 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-12-2021, 11:48 PM)kindofblue Wrote: [ -> ]Absorbing goalless draw but the high point for me was Curtis’ cheeky grin at the lower North supporters after the Sheffield sending off…..

Yes, I did enjoy that!

the reason pompey don't score as many as we would like is the fact we don't have that creative midfielder with the sublime ability to put the crosses in like Barry Bannan 

just think what we could do with a player that puts it on a sixpence stood out last night as the class player IMHO
I didn't see it but Moose's summing up on Talksport last night was that Wednesday hung on for the point that they set up for from the start, is that fair?
(08-12-2021, 03:18 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't see it but Moose's summing up on Talksport last night was that Wednesday hung on for the point that they set up for from the start, is that fair?

From what i saw...Yes!!! We were all over them, especially in the second half.
About right although once they were down to ten they hung on very comfortably. We didn't create much in the last 20 minutes and needed some fresh legs - maybe a Jacobs - but illness prevented us having that luxury. Gut feeling is we would have nicked it against 11 men as Sheff would have continued to play with more adventure. Overall we were decent but without too much cutting edge. Players that were desperately poor Saturday put in a decent shift (e.g Azeez and Williams), Hirst showed some real promise but probably doesn't have much of a finish on him. I know it can't happen but I do wonder whether Hirst and Marquis might be a decent combo. If we play like that on Saturday surely we can beat Morecombe? Reasons to be optimistic though.
Regarding Barry Bannen , he got ripped to bits for his performance last night by the sheff wed fans. He lost position over 14 times not what I’d want from a midfielder, great passer or not.
For me the most frustrating thing was the times we had two or three players in their box and the cross was over hit , and don’t mention the amount of corners we wasted. But all said and done we did play with 
A passion and 100% effort which goes a long way with Pompey fans.
having watched on the box. Seemed a dcent game.
but the Wednesday player who deliberately tripped himself also summed up a lot of what is wrong with the game, especially when the ex player commentators refused to criticise or even comment on such a blatant piece of cheating.