TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Injuries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
squads Pompey have had for some time purely in the context of injuries both long and short term? At the present time there always seems to be almost as many players in the treatment room as are available for selection or am I suffering memory fade?
(05-12-2021, 07:42 AM) Wrote: [ -> ]squads Pompey have had for some time purely in the context of injuries both long and short term? At the present time there always seems to be almost as many players in the treatment room as are available for selection or am I suffering memory fade?

It’s certainly one of the worst in terms of character, application and determination. There are a few proper footballers in there but the rest are woefully lacking.

To borrow a phrase from the excellent Blazing Saddles, ‘I didn’t hire you to dance around like a bunch of Kansas City Fag@ots’  Smile .

For the avoidance of doubt, I changed the word so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of those lacking a sense of irony.
(05-12-2021, 07:42 AM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]squads Pompey have had for some time purely in the context of injuries both long and short term? At the present time there always seems to be almost as many players in the treatment room as are available for selection or am I suffering memory fade?

I just wish we played more of our academy instead of just sticking them on the bench with no intention of playing them. During our plummeting down the league years it's surprising how many youngsters emerged from this club. And not forgetting the impact of Jim Smith's teams.

L1 is rubbish. Better than L2 in that they can pass a bit. and maybe stop a ball towards them with their feet.. But hardly anyone can cross a ball or even look up so why treat youngsters like they are babies? All you need to do is learn to withstand a filthy tackle, how to get a player booked and how to surround a referee.

It's a disgrace that a club our size has failed to establish a single home grown player in ages.
I have been criticised for daring to suggest we should play Bass over the undoubtedly talented Bazanu.
Bass is good enough for this level but will not have the chance to improve if we suddenly switch to pursuing short term gain on the pitch.
Going back to Jim Smith's team. Leading up to their elevation tot eh first team, I'm sure I'm not the only one to remember seeing them play under Alan Ball as Youth Manager. Fratton Park under lights, 71/2 thousand of us seeing them beat Liverpool. When clubs took the FA Cup at all levels seriously.
back to the op
injuries?
Anything to do with the high press and lots and lots and lots of running about?
Perhaps if you keep some possessions the other side has to do a bit more running?
Yes it's memory fade. We were of course frequently down to the bare bones under Harrry Redknapp, who would nevertheless  find a way of getting someone in on  a free /loan/ a promise in order to make up the numbers. It's no coincidence those sell on,  5% comission fees that Redknapp was trousering worsened our financial plight back in the day. 
To keep my team of lawyers happy i should emphasise that the last sentence begins with an allegedly.
Funny how so many of those ‘bodies’ didn’t even get a game. Maybe when Harry was saying ‘we’re down to our bare bones’ he was invoking the royal ‘we’. Course, that’s not a viewpoint I would agree with.
Louis Thompson out with a hip injury now, he would have started Saturday. "Ask the medical team" was the answer when asked how long will he be out for.
Pompey always seem to sign crocks
(06-12-2021, 10:36 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Pompey always seem to sign crocks

still think its got a lot to do with playing a high press game that must test fitness more than a possession based or mixed game
How are we looking for the weekend? I think the ones back in contention are:

Downing
Jacobs
Morrell
Brown?

Assuming the following are still unavailable?
Tunnicliff
Robertson
Thompson

Any others im missing?
Reid, the forgotten man. No idea about Liam Vincent.
I've forgotten what Tunnicliffe and Robertson look like:Santa for all I know.

And I've never seen Reid or Vincent so they may as well be the ghosts of Christmas past and future for all the good they've done.
(15-12-2021, 03:11 PM)PompeyDB Wrote: [ -> ]Reid, the forgotten man. No idea about Liam Vincent.

Who?  Huh
Andy Moon reckons five of ours are in quarantine for the Oxford match