TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Unbelievable signings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd forgotten all about Andy Cole. Quite incredible really, considering his reputation at the time.

The old brain cells are obviously disappearing fast.
Kevin Dillon signing in March 83 was a massive coupe for us back then.
(18-12-2021, 07:40 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]Kevin Dillon signing in March 83 was a massive coupe for us back then.

Very good signing & also ha a great penalty scoring record.
(18-12-2021, 07:40 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]Kevin Dillon signing in March 83 was a massive coupe for us back then.

I remember reading about that, at the time, but nobody in Pompey knew who he was. It was just paper talk.

No internet then and we were only lower league anyway.
Mark Hateley.
Talking of wingers what about What about Kevin O'Callaghan scored a fantastic goal at Huddersfield - the day of the Bradford fire I think.

Also another brilliant forward Mark Hateley - scored a great goal at Villa coming in off the left wing.
(19-12-2021, 12:56 AM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Mark Hateley.

I remember his Dad...Tony.
Did he play for West Brom who knocked us out of the FA Cup, back in 1968 ish?
(19-12-2021, 01:49 PM)foxleyblue Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-12-2021, 12:56 AM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Mark Hateley.

I remember his Dad...Tony.
Did he play for West Brom who knocked us out of the FA Cup, back in 1968 ish?

No, Jeff Astle & Tony " Bomber" Brown were upfront IIRC.
I was also gobsmacked that we signed John Marquis. But, having seen his woeful performances for us before, that was for wholly different reasons..
(18-12-2021, 11:29 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]"P.s. I think Patrick Berger needs a mention. Scored some of the best goals I've ever seen."

That volley against Charlton.

And here is is... unbelievable Jeff

https://youtu.be/xmQkgW9sgJ4
Walsh unbelievable skill and tenacity still at yhe top of his game when he came here.
Prospective, he was a circus show who even at his age was 3 minds in front of everything else on a playing field in that league.
Finally the best player to ever adorn a blue shirt since 1979 was Lasana Diara. Simply the most skilful, combative midfielder I have ever seen live.
I was at Liverpool when we drew 1-1 and as he was subbed Gerrard ran over znd shook his hand. Diana pretended to open a pocket in his shorts. I like to think he was telling Stevie, 'I've had you in my pocket all night'! Absolutely fantastic player
Bloody predictive text. I meant prosinecki not prospective!!
(20-12-2021, 09:48 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]Bloody predictive text. I meant prosinecki  not prospective!!

Glad you didn't get 'Diana' wrong. Lovely mover and what about that tiara?!
Ron Saunders
The one that really made me think 'fuck me how have we done that?' is Defoe.

The player that came out of nowhere and blew me away as D'Alessandro. I remember the opposition backing away from him not wanting to put a tackle in on his debut, the boy himself looking up realising that the rest of the Pompey team were not comfortable on the ball and the roar of the Fratton End when we all realised this boy was absolutely out of the top drawer and egging him on to just basically run at them and play them on his own
As a young lad I remember gettng very excited when we signed Ray Pointer - he has been my 'favourite player' in the early 60's when at Burnley. 

He didn't disappoint, and I'm convinced we would have gone up in '67(?) if he had not got injured.
Wasn’t Ray Pointer’s transfer paid from some of the proceeds of the sale of Brian Lewis to Jimmy Hill’s Coventry ?

I thought Pointers best game for Pompey was in an FA Cup tie at Fratton Park against Arsenal when he gave the then very highly rated Pat Rice a real chasing all afternoon.

Pointer was well past his Burnley best when he came to Pompey, I felt he was playing from memory, it was just another example of Pompey selling younger talent to buy others fading stars, so often a feature of Pompey’s transfer activity.

Pointers 31goals from 152 games for Pompey was hardly the stuff of legend and not to be compared with his Burnley days of 118 goals from 223 appearances
Pages: 1 2