TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: new signings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any news on new potential signings this transfer window?
been out of the loop for a while Big Grin
All quiet on the Weston front, moosh.
Heard from a reliable source today we have just been turned down by John Mahon, 22 year old centre half at Sligo. It was close but in the end he used us to get an improved extension at his current club.
Hardly a major name. Estimated value according to Transfer Market £90K.
I would think we have learnt to do our business quietly to avoid being gazumped. All depends on offloading Marquis, Harrison and Downing.
Apart from questions about loanees the rest of the squad seem to have improved if allowed to play.
Just a number 9 who can control and pass the ball
An extra centre half
woudl not expect much else

although Bass would probably need to go on loan if we wish him to develop
(28-12-2021, 08:01 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I would think we have learnt to do our business quietly to avoid being gazumped. All depends on offloading Marquis, Harrison and Downing.
Apart from questions about loanees the rest of the squad seem to have improved if allowed to play.
Just a number 9 who can control and pass the ball
An extra centre half
woudl not expect much else

although Bass would probably need to go on loan if we wish him to develop
We need players in before we have players go out. The squad is short of senior players right now, way too many untried youth team players on the bench lately
Is the pound shop open today?
Steve’s back  Big Grin Big Grin
Sounds like we are being let down gently again and excuses are already being made. COVID, one in one out etc. Really hope I’m wrong.

After four years and four shocking January transfer windows let’s hope the owners are playing it shrewdly and if we have genuine targets they get them in early and then try to off-load Marquis and co. Once they have signed. Let’s face it they will go in the summer anyway so this is really about ambition not balancing the books. After all we were still a couple of players short from the summer window.

Let’s hope the mistakes regarding January signings under Jacket do not get repeated. If the Eisner’s truly want promotion they need to invest in the Squad now. Otherwise a play-off place is all we can realistically hope for and we all know how that ends up.
They need to apologise to Wigan and say there was a terrible error on the contract. We meant to sell them Downing.

I still can't wrap my head around them going against the managers wishes to let our best defender (player) leave on a free and then sign an injury prone nobody and keep our worst defender. Someone needs sacking for that decision.
(28-12-2021, 02:43 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]They need to apologise to Wigan and say there was a terrible error on the contract. We meant to sell them Downing.

I still can't wrap my head around them going against the managers wishes to let our best defender (player) leave on a free and then sign an injury prone nobody and keep our worst defender. Someone needs sacking for that decision.

The decision to go was Whatmough's. He knew the club wanted to keep him but chose to go.
No it wasn't. He wanted a 2 year deal and we said no.
(28-12-2021, 03:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]No it wasn't. He wanted a 2 year deal and we said no.

We offered him one year plus an extension based on appearances.  A very sensible approach given his history.

But the fact remains that he knew he was wanted by the club and chose to go.
'Best Defender (player)' - that no Championship club wanted even on a free - probably shows what a poor team we were last season.
Yes he chose to go because pompey deliberately offered a shit deal. Whatmough said if we offered a 2 year deal he would have stayed. Lets get the facts straight deep.

I am saying the clubs decision to not offer a 2 year deal was a terrible decision. If you think it is sensible to let your best player leave for nothing, based on not offering a 2 year deal; Then in the same window sign another injury prone CB on a 2 year contract. Then you're off your rocker.
(28-12-2021, 04:06 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yes he chose to go because pompey deliberately offered a shit deal. Whatmough said if we offered a 2 year deal he would have stayed. Lets get the facts straight deep.

I am saying the clubs decision to not offer a 2 year deal was a terrible decision. If you think it is sensible to let your best player leave for nothing, based on not offering a 2 year deal; Then in the same window sign another injury prone  CB on a 2 year contract. Then you're off your rocker.

The deal we offered was potentially a two year deal if he stayed fit, not that different from Wigan's offer, just a bit less secure.  I was more annoyed at the player deciding to go with a fair offer on the table than I was at the club's approach to keeping him.
No one has mentioned wages? Wigan were splashing the cash & Pompey were being more realistic. If we wigan aren't promoted they'll probably go bankrupt due to very high overheads. Big Gamble by their rich owner.
(28-12-2021, 05:57 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]No one has mentioned wages? Wigan were splashing the cash & Pompey were being more realistic. If we wigan aren't promoted they'll probably go bankrupt due to very high overheads. Big Gamble by their rich owner.

Wages offer was the same. Whatmough said as much when he left and it was the length of cntract that made up his mind. 

A poor treatemtn of the club that had looked after him so well in hard times IMO.