TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cambridge draw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The telling stats, 67% possession, against 10 men for long period. We wouldn't have scored if we had been there all night.
This was a desperately poor performance, much of it so predictable with little craft or guile and so many poor deliveries with the many crosses we had. Not enough in the way of shots from outside the box. 
Individually Hirst figured fleetingly in the first half and then disappeared completely for second half. On today's performance he's not the answer.
Curtis was so frustrating especially once shooting over from a great position. For me he is not the same player now that he is asked to play down the middle, rather than out wide left. 
Morrell linked up well and was behind most of our attacks, but Romeo and Hackett's final balls were often poor. 
For me Jacobs should have started and is the most creative attacker we have in my opinion.
At least we played badly but got a point and a clean sheet.
Not sure how but we still desperately need a striker, although if the team sails to create chances, not many strikers are going to do much better.
Only Shrewsbury have scored fewer goals than us if you exclude the bottom 4. Tells you all you need to know really. (3rd best defence)
We need at least 3 quality new players not the usual January garbage. CF, CH, CM. That gives us a decent chance of the play offs.
Quite diverse commentaries and views on the performance. For me I thought Morrell was fine....... till he tried to hit a ( usually reliable) long ball then Shocking.
Baz made a couple of excellent stops but again his (usually reliable) distribution was poor.
However, the most telling stat was the number of corners/and number of crosses into the box - always well arrowed onto a Cambridge head and not really contested in a packed six yard box - WHY?
(04-01-2022, 09:56 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Quite diverse commentaries and views on the performance. For me I thought Morrell was fine....... till he tried to hit a ( usually reliable) long ball then Shocking.
Baz made a couple of excellent stops but again his (usually reliable) distribution was poor.
However, the most telling stat was the number of corners/and number of crosses into the box - always well arrowed onto a Cambridge head and not really contested in a packed six yard box  - WHY?
If we are putting in crosses do we have a lump who can win his fair share?
I guess that was what we signed Harrison to do?

Certainly not Marquis' game, or Norwich man. Is it Hirst's game either?

Having said that, with one up front, even if we win the first header will we have anyone close enough to take advantage of any knock down? 

Whitts was going spare about near post crosses with no one attacking the ball.
I suppose if you have the big striker to win the first header (whether Hirst or Harrison) you then need the 'Marquis' to latch onto the chance it creates. We, in common with most teams, never play a genuine 2 up front. Add to this the fact that Curtis has lost his goal touch and Reeco really isn't good enough and we have a problem that will probably cost us play-offs this season. There is now too much expectation on Harness to keep coming up with the goods. The rest of it has shaped up quite well despite the loss of Robertson. Ogilvie has become a bit of a star. If (the big if) we could find that elusive goalscorer in January the season still has legs to run but I'm thinking next year has to be the one.
(04-01-2022, 11:04 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose if you have the big striker to win the first header (whether Hirst or Harrison) you then need the 'Marquis' to latch onto the chance it creates. We, in common with most teams, never play a genuine 2 up front. Add to this the fact that Curtis has lost his goal touch and Reeco really isn't good enough and we have a problem that will probably cost us play-offs this season. There is now too much expectation on Harness to keep coming up with the goods. The rest of it has shaped up quite well despite the loss of Robertson. Ogilvie has become a bit of a star. If (the big if) we could find that elusive goalscorer in January the season still has legs to run but I'm thinking next year has to be the one.

We may scrape 6th and playoff lottery.
Personally I would rather we did not as that leaves us last to the table for summer signings with a weak team that would get pulverised in the champ. 
Still don't think we should be playing loanees who we know we cannot sign long term,
(04-01-2022, 02:15 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2022, 11:04 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose if you have the big striker to win the first header (whether Hirst or Harrison) you then need the 'Marquis' to latch onto the chance it creates. We, in common with most teams, never play a genuine 2 up front. Add to this the fact that Curtis has lost his goal touch and Reeco really isn't good enough and we have a problem that will probably cost us play-offs this season. There is now too much expectation on Harness to keep coming up with the goods. The rest of it has shaped up quite well despite the loss of Robertson. Ogilvie has become a bit of a star. If (the big if) we could find that elusive goalscorer in January the season still has legs to run but I'm thinking next year has to be the one.

We may scrape 6th and playoff lottery.
Personally I would rather we did not as that leaves us last to the table for summer signings with a weak team that would get pulverised in the champ. 
Still don't think we should be playing loanees who we know we cannot sign long term,

Disagree ... not using the loan system to make your team as strong as possible would be criminal mismanagement. Bazanu & Romeo have been two of our better players this year, not sure why having them on a one year loan is any different from signing them on a one year or two year contract, the difference being we could never had afforded them other than on loan. 

You can disagree with the loan system as a whole (and I'd even agree with that) but the rules are there and you have to use every availalble resource to get the best team possible on the pitch. If you don't you know all the other teams will.
I agree with using the loan system to bring in top players or those you hope to sign. I'm still to be convinced that Baz is so far ahead of Bass that we should block our own player's development. Would rather use the slot for somewhere we are obviously weak. Seems to tell our own youngsters that this is not the club to be at if they wish to play games.
(04-01-2022, 03:25 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with using the loan system to bring in top players or those you hope to sign. I'm still to be convinced that Baz is so far ahead of Bass that we should block our own player's development. Would rather use the slot for somewhere we are obviously weak. Seems to tell our own youngsters that this is not the club to be at if they wish to play games.

I'm a great fan of Bass and think he could well be our keeper for years to come, but there is no doubt  that Bazanu has a greater presence and is going to be a top keeper and deserves to be first choice at the moment. 

From what we have seen of Bass this year he has not regressed, and maybe even has improved from training with Bazanu. If he gets a loan to get some more games then it is a win/win situation, but even if not I have no doubt that Bass will be ready to become first choice next season, probably more ready than he was this season. 

Add to that that if Bazanu's loan is seen as a success it increases the chances of getting such good players on loan in the future. 

And surely no-one can be thinking we should be playing Freeman ahead of Romeo just because he is our player ?
I'm hoping that Romeo might become our player, probably a pipe dream but being Southern based we are at least in with a shout.
I've not seen the figures to compare the wages of our expensive non players which seem to have been where our steady growth suddenly stopped. Would be interesting to see how much we can free up when we eventually off load them, and what we can get in today's Covid market for the same.
YES indeed DEEP, Bass is going to be a top class keeper , and just hope it is with us. As you say, he has not regressed and hios attiotude/continued ability displays a very sincere and professional attitude - trust all at the top have recognised this!

AND HAMMIE ,you and me both, he is positively the sort of player we need if....
(a) we want to aspire to gain promotion, and
(b) if we have any aspirations of staying there ( Championship) before Yes - looking ahead.... (laughter, off stage)