TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: All quiet on the western front
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Window nearly been open a week and we have not exactly rushed off our feet to bolster our lopsided goal shy squad
cos noone want our overpaid goal shy forwards
We have to hope that the buying clubs get desperate.

The way I see it is that it wouldn't be a disaster if Downing, Marquis & Harrison stayed if it meant we got in the adequate replacements in the summer.

We don't want to sign mediocre replacements on long contracts because we didn't have enough budget in January.
(05-01-2022, 01:05 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]We have to hope that the buying clubs get desperate.

The way I see it is that it wouldn't be a disaster if Downing, Marquis & Harrison stayed if it meant we got in the adequate replacements in the summer.

We don't want to sign mediocre replacements on long contracts because we didn't have enough budget in January.

spot on
It would be good if Ahadme going created the space, if not the budget, to allow Wootton to sign.
(05-01-2022, 01:45 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]It would be good if Ahadme going created the space, if not the budget, to allow Wootton to sign.

or even to loan in a different sort of young striker, a more robust type perhaps?
Given that we were in for Stockley in the summer do we not have the budget to sign Wootton or a.n.other. Or did we spend that on Morrell?
(05-01-2022, 02:20 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]Given that we were in for Stockley in the summer do we not have the budget to sign Wootton or a.n.other. Or did we spend that on Morrell?

Stockley was a target before the budget was expanded to get Morrell & Romeo.  I would suspect there is no wriggle room budget-wise until we move someone on, but given the importance of getting a striker (IMO the only essential signing this window) might it not be worth taking a risk and getting him in assuming that at least one will go out during the window.
Fleetwood have just been given a million quid so we have to cross our fingers they want to waste it on one of our available duffers.
If we're being realistic, we know how this is probably going to play out. Waiting for the club to inform us "Covid's making things difficult" etc. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't see far beyond a new loan striker coming in and maybe one change in CD.
simply the issue of the club paying the known 4 over the top wages so we will be very lucky t find any takers before the summer unless we pay the excess wages.
Seems to have been for as long as i can recall that pompey are expected to pay higher wages than most clubs.
Perhaps the reason why some expect Pompey to pay higher wages than most clubs is that we get higher gates than most, FYI, Football Web Pages.co.uk show the Average Home Attendances 2021-2022 as follows:

1 Sunderland -    30,017
2 Sheffield Wed - 22,078
3 Ipswich Town -  20,821
4 Charlton -        17,279
5 Bolton Wand’s - 15,362
6 Portsmouth -    15,148
7 Plymouth -        12,426

The rest range down from 8 Wigan- 9,332 to the lowest 24 Burton - 3,090

I wouldn’t think it unreasonable to expect Pompey to be amongst those who have the higher wages bills, even before you factor in that Pompey have one of the richest owners in all 3 EFL leagues (probably amongst the Top 5).
(05-01-2022, 04:40 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps the reason why some expect Pompey to pay higher wages than most clubs is that we get higher gates than most, FYI, Football Web Pages.co.uk show the Average Home Attendances 2021-2022 as follows:

1 Sunderland -    30,017
2 Sheffield Wed - 22,078
3 Ipswich Town -  20,821
4 Charlton -        17,279
5 Bolton Wand’s - 15,362
6 Portsmouth -    15,148
7 Plymouth -        12,426

The rest range down from 8 Wigan- 9,332 to the lowest 24 Burton - 3,090

I wouldn’t think it unreasonable to expect Pompey to be amongst those who have the higher wages bills, even before you factor in that Pompey have one of the richest owners in all 3 EFL leagues (probably amongst the Top 5).

We probably are about 6th in the wage bill list too.  I know Catlin claimed were in the top 5 a couple of years ago and we have not increased much since then , but a couple of clubs have come into money, or been relegated, so will have pushed us down the list a bit. 

And you need to get past the 'rich owner' bit. They have made it clear they are running the club as they promised they would as a sustainable business not a charity case so it makes little difference if they have 20million  or 20 billion on paper.  The important bit is every penny they are putting in is not racking up debts to be paid off in the future.
Surely the Eisners have to accept that Jackett blew a massive £1.5m hole in their sell to buy policy and it needs topping up. If they're going to be stubborn then within two seasons we will be outstripped by League 2 teams
(05-01-2022, 05:32 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Surely the Eisners have to accept that Jackett blew a massive £1.5m hole in their sell to buy policy and it needs topping up. If they're going to be stubborn then within two seasons we will be outstripped by League 2 teams

What hole ? The 1.5m he spent on Marquis & Harrison was far less than the money he got for Lowe & Clarke, well withn the eat what you kill policy.

And why would we be outstripped by league 2 teams ?  most of them are still recovering from Covid losses, something which we avoided thanks to the Eisners ownership.
The 1.5m he wasted on er Marquis and Harrison which is now lost from the value of the playing squad and thus unavailable to recoup and reuse
Nadir Ciftci signed for St Johnstone, if that counts as news. Remember him, from way back? He looked a really promising youngster but hasn't done much with his career, it seems. Flopped in his one big chance when Celtic signed him.
(06-01-2022, 12:29 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]The 1.5m he wasted on er Marquis and Harrison which is now lost from the value of the playing squad and thus unavailable to recoup and reuse

But that's the same with any players you sign for a fee, whether they are are success or a failure - when their contract is up they have no resale value.

Saying it was 1.5m wasted is one thing (although I'm not sure totally justified given their combined total of 202 appearances and 56 goals - maybe disappointing but not a total waste of money like  for instance Downing's wages) but thats very different from saying it was a 1.5m hole in the eat to kill policy, because the money spent was well within that policy.
Harrison looks to be on his way out according to The News.
"currently in talks with another club"
Fingers crossed! Who do we think? Fleetwood? MK Dons? Plymouth? Oxford?

I'll guess at Fleetwood.
I couldn't give a flying one where Downing,Harrison and Marquis go, as long as it's far from Portsea Island & Fratton Park
(06-01-2022, 03:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Fingers crossed! Who do we think? Fleetwood? MK Dons? Plymouth? Oxford?

I'll guess at Fleetwood.

Bristol Rovers were interested as well?
Mnoga to Weymouth. Hopefully reigns in some of his rash challenges and has a good 2nd half of the season.
Anyone who is bought for a million should be appreciating in value and adding to the kitty in their resale value, not exiting the club for a fraction of it, or worse, having their contract cancelled so they can move on a free
(06-01-2022, 07:13 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone who is bought for a million should be appreciating in value and adding to the kitty in their resale value, not exiting the club for a fraction of it, or worse, having their contract cancelled so they can move on a free

depends how old they are when you buy them
also the effect of Covid on the income and subsequent bank balance of every single club

I would have thought we will be lucky to get anything much as a transfer fee, but will free up the wages, dependent on whether we have to pay some of the wages til the end of the season.

Regarding appreciating value, that was why we set out our buy good youngsters develop and sell on. Harrison was hoped to be in that bracket I guess.

Finally 1.5 million was I think what Kenny made from cup runs which was why he played a strong team
Pages: 1 2