TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Never - Ever - Never.... ditto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Eons ago..... at school in a now extinct county .... (really) ........... ( clues later.....

the sports teacher/football coach (an ex left half back for Walsall)  threatened us :- 

"....- .....- ...Never, Ever ever ever ever ever Never,,,,,,,,play the ball across your own defence......"

OH DEAR......

I would say the Swansea manager is history after that , and we thought only Pompey did that against 10 men  ! !
What made it even worse was that scum goal came from a Swansea freekick in the attacking half. Instead of making the most of a one man advantage and putting the ball into the scum box, the welshies instead passed it endlessly backwards, sidewards, backwards and then underhit the pass which was no surprise on a rain soaked pitch. 

Hate watching that boring possession for the sake of possession nonsense that is seeping into professional football.
(08-01-2022, 10:35 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]What made it even worse was that scum goal came from a Swansea freekick in the attacking half. Instead of making the most of a one man advantage and putting the ball into the scum box, the welshies instead passed it endlessly backwards, sidewards, backwards and then underhit the pass which was no surprise on a rain soaked pitch. 

Hate watching that boring possession for the sake of possession nonsense that is seeping into professional football.

love watching the old 80s highlights on the Big Match. Up and at them with a lot of skill on some very poor pitches.
Then we invite in foreign owners and coaches and gradually see our game turned Italian, defence first. With the poor strikers struggling to play up front on their own. 
I still go to live games when I can persuade someone to go, but it is too often to watch tedious football with an awful lot of cheating from both sides.
Perhaps Hammie, you also recall when teams played just the FIVE in the front line - heady days !
Firqdays- Rutland?
I am one of the lucky few who saw Duggie Reid flanked by Len Phillips and Ike Clarke with Peter  Harris and Jack Froggatt on the wings - a real powerhouse forward line with exceptional pace and guile…….and goals !

Of course, different days but oh so enjoyable with crowds that Pompey will never again  entertain at Fratton Park

Makes me quite misty eyed !
This playing out from the back is fine if you're Liverpool or Man City who have got the best players but it's ridiculous that it's become 'trendy' for all the new upcoming managers to have to implement it regardless. Swindon playing out from the back against Man City was suicide.
Oh and another thing, goalkeepers should be taught how to catch a ball again. Punching it out potentially into the path of a striker or out for a corner is not a good save if he could have caught it instead, does my fecking nut in.
(09-01-2022, 02:19 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]This playing out from the back is fine if you're Liverpool or Man City who have got the best players but it's ridiculous that it's become 'trendy' for all the new upcoming managers to have to implement it regardless. Swindon playing out from the back against Man City was suicide.
Oh and another thing, goalkeepers should be taught how to catch a ball again. Punching it out potentially into the path of a striker or out for a corner is not a good save if he could have caught it instead, does my fecking nut in.

They all do the same as they all have to take the officially approved FA courses before they can get a job.

What really annoys me is running school teams and hearing the adults who have completed various badges telling 8 year olds off for dribbling, even subbing them off if they dare do it again. No wonder Ronaldo is such a one off these days. 

and yes, oh for the days of the likes of Alan Knight catching the ball at full dive, then setting a winger off as soon as he landed.
I think it’s to do with the new footballs. I was speaking to a lad who plays in goal for his local team and he reckons that the ball is very hard to hold at speed plus it swerved a lot more
(09-01-2022, 09:58 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Firqdays- Rutland?

Rutland still exists., or rather "Rose from the Dead", so my guess is Westmoreland now Cumbria
DSMG
The football coach starred at left half for Cambridge City in the (then) Southern League.
And Oliver Cromwell was born in the (then) county town!
Huntingdonshire!!

Returning to the general chat about modern football coaches who seem to focus more on passing than on shooting....... Pompey aren't the worst team in that respect.

Tonight, Xhaka was sent off after 24 minutes yet, even with home advantage, Liverpool failed to have a proper shot on target against the 10 man Gunners. Apparently there was a ricochet off a defender in second half injury time that forced a comfortable save from the Arsenal keeper, but the commentators felt it didn't merit being a shot on target!