TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Ahadme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Didn't realise his switch to Burton was permanent. Interesting. 

Perhaps Hasslebaink can get a tune out of him. Makes sense for Burton when your manager was an exceptional striker and have the time to invest in a player like Gassan, who clearly knows where the goal is but is not ready for L1 every week.

We need a Bobby big bollox striker who can hit the ground running. Where the fook is he? Lol
Cole Stockton looks the striker most likely to move somewhere. 15 goals so far and Morecambe are dancing with the drop. 27 and 6ft+ - he's got to be thinking he can do better. Local bloke though so its a tough ask to get him to consider coming all the way down here.
All the time we have played one up front, the strikers end up looking like idiots.
Apart from Brett Pitman, who else has made it work?

Apart from him we have had a whole list of strikers who do a at least decent job elsewhere and and up failing here.
Even Kenny's assistant stated one up front was impossible for almost all lower league strikers.

But still we carry on cos that's what the FA coaching badges direct.
We’ve actually been playing with 2 up front but you wouldn’t think it
(16-01-2022, 05:08 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]All the time we have played one up front, the strikers end up looking like idiots.

Apart from him we have had a whole list of strikers who do a at least decent job elsewhere and and up failing here.
Even Kenny's assistant stated one up front was impossible for almost all lower league strikers.

We've been playing two up front for months
(16-01-2022, 05:27 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-01-2022, 05:08 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]All the time we have played one up front, the strikers end up looking like idiots.

We've been playing two up front for months

With one striker.
So you don't count our highest goalscorer this century as a striker ?
(16-01-2022, 05:31 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]So you don't count our highest goalscorer this century as a striker ?

The fact that he is our highest goal scorer this century is the concerning thing.

He could improve his game by crossing the ball a bit more too, we had a 3 on 2 yesterday with Hirst free at the far post.

So did he cross to the player in a better position? Nope, he took the shot on and the keeper had an easy save.

We need a proper goal scorer and we need to provide him with the service he needs.
(16-01-2022, 05:31 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]So you don't count our highest goalscorer this century as a striker ?

No. He's not.
According to FbRef* league stats thus far this season

Harness 9 from 23
Marquis 4 from 19
Hackett 3 from 21
Curtis 3 from 23
Brown 3 from 18
Hirst 2 from 18
Jacobs 1 from 9
* May not include yesterday

For my money (and Eisner’s as well it seems) there isn’t a striker amongst the above, a couple of decent ‘wingers’ maybe….being played out of position, definitely.

I don’t remotely think Curtis deserves the accolade of being Pompey’s best striker this century and that statistic is equal in significance as the oft quoted ‘Jackett has the best win rate in Pompey history’ or words to that effect.

Yesterday proved that its goals that win matches not possession, near misses, squandered chances…..and certainly not excuses !
I'd stick my neck out and say that Pitman has been the only decent striker we've had since we left the prem. Cant think of any others that come close. The only other natural scorer was chaplin and we swapped him for Harrison. Thanks Kenny.
(16-01-2022, 06:55 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I'd stick my neck out and say that Pitman has been the only decent striker we've had since we left the prem. Cant think of any others that come close. The only other natural scorer was chaplin and we swapped him for Harrison. Thanks Kenny.

Wouldn't argue with that, just a pity he only had one season left in his legs when we signed him. 

The only other natural finisher we've had apart from Chaplin was Marc McNulty.
(16-01-2022, 06:36 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]According to FbRef* league stats thus far this season

Harness 9 from 23
Marquis 4 from 19
Hackett 3 from 21
Curtis 3 from 23
Brown 3 from 18
Hirst 2 from 18
Jacobs 1 from 9
* May not include yesterday

For my money (and Eisner’s as well it seems) there isn’t a striker amongst the above, a couple of decent ‘wingers’ maybe….being played out of position, definitely.

I don’t remotely think Curtis deserves the accolade of being Pompey’s best striker this century and that statistic is equal in significance as the oft quoted ‘Jackett has the best win rate in Pompey history’ or words to that effect.

Yesterday proved that its goals that win matches not possession, near misses, squandered chances…..and certainly not excuses !
Looking at those stats it's blatantly obvious that we're going nowhere this season.
Looking at those stats it's blatantly obvious that we're going nowhere this season

so unless we can find a proper striker. Send all the loanees back unless we are hoping to sign them, develop our own players and build now for next season.
Got a feeling this Burton signing will finally shine the light on the problem at Pompey - the striking coaches
Get Whitts in. He's often incredulous with the movement of Marquis
Here’s some telling statistics (and we all love statistics don’t we)

Only four teams in League 1 have scored less goals than Pompey (29 scored), here they are with their league position and goals:

15th Shrewsbury 26 scored
22nd  Crewe 24 scored
23rd Gillingham 19 scored
Bottom Doncaster 17 scored

I don’t know what footballing sage first said it but “Goals win matches”. 

Of course our defence has stood firm (well, Raggett and Bazunu have) but our underwhelming goals for column is a sad indictment of our performance thus far.

Here’s some more stats culled from FbRef:

The residue of Jacketts signings (Raggett, Harness, Curtis, Brown, Marquis, Hackett, Jacobs) have scored 24 league goals between them this season.

Cowleys signings (Williams, Romeo, Freeman, Morrell, Ogilvie, Tunnicliffe, Hirst, Robertson, Thompson, Azeez, Ahadme) have scored 4 between them this season.

Make of that what you will (no, I haven’t worked out minutes played and goals per minute ratios, I think the figures speak for themselves in their simplicity).
(17-01-2022, 12:35 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Here’s some telling statistics (and we all love statistics don’t we)

Only four teams in League 1 have scored less goals than Pompey (29 scored), here they are with their league position and goals:

15th Shrewsbury 26 scored
22nd  Crewe 24 scored
23rd Gillingham 19 scored
Bottom Doncaster 17 scored

I don’t know what footballing sage first said it but “Goals win matches”. 

Of course our defence has stood firm (well, Raggett and Bazunu have) but our underwhelming goals for column is a sad indictment of our performance thus far.

Here’s some more stats culled from FbRef:

The residue of Jacketts signings (Raggett, Harness, Curtis, Brown, Marquis, Hackett, Jacobs) have scored 24 league goals between them this season.

Cowleys signings (Williams, Romeo, Freeman, Morrell, Ogilvie, Tunnicliffe, Hirst, Robertson, Thompson, Azeez, Ahadme) have scored 4 between them this season.

Make of that what you will (no, I haven’t worked out minutes played and goals per minute ratios, I think the figures speak for themselves in their simplicity).

‘Make of that what you will’  Smile .

Well for a start you are not comparing like with like, so any comparison is meaningless.

I have been less than impressed with the Cowleys’ attacking play though and their eye for a striker is definitely a bit off.
Wightblue,

Cowley has not been able to sign any strikers yet and has had to rely on Jackett's legacy players that he has been unable to shift yet.  Lets delay judgement until he is allowed to sign someone other than young loanees. 

I just hope that he does not feel the need to buy a january dud striker (e.g. Bogle, Vaughan) if he cannot get the players he wants. I'd rather get some loans in and wait until the summer to get the better options.
Sunderland about to get a great loan in from Man City ( Roberts) , could deffo be a game changer for them
Wrt Wightie's stats there are only two teams who've conceded fewer goals; we've shipped 24 and when you consider we suffered two consecutive 4 goal batterings that's not too shabby