TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Tomorrow - The battle of the billionaires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The two richest owners in League 1 pitting their wealth in tomorrow’s head to head.

Swiss Kyril Lewis Dreyfus (23) reported heir to £4 billion versus American Michael Eisner (79) £ 2.7 billion.

Youthful optimism versus old pragmatism

Inexperience versus experience

One pledged to spend £60 million on building a Championship side, the other with a ‘Supporters fund the club” model.

Tomorrow of course, it will be down to the Managers and players they currently employ but, in the longer term, I’m going with Youthful optimism to be the most fun to support.

Forecasting tomorrows result ? I wouldn’t know where to start but, goal statistics where Sunderland are 52/33 and Pompey 29/24, and points where Sunderland are 51/27 and Pompey are 38/25 suggest Sunderland with home advantage and several scores to settle should prevail….but this is football where one should always expect the unexpected !
(21-01-2022, 11:55 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]The two richest owners in League 1 pitting their wealth in tomorrow’s head to head.

Swiss Kyril Lewis Dreyfus (23) reported heir to £4 billion versus American Michael Eisner (79) £ 2.7 billion.

One pledged to spend £60 million on building a Championship side, the other with a ‘Supporters fund the club” model.

Tomorrow of course, it will be down to the Managers and players they currently employ but, in the longer term, I’m going with Youthful optimism to be the most fun to support.

Forecasting tomorrows result ? I wouldn’t know where to start but, goal statistics where Sunderland are 52/33 and Pompey 29/24, and points where Sunderland are 51/27 and Pompey are 38/25 suggest Sunderland with home advantage and several scores to settle should prevail….but this is football where one should always expect the unexpected !

Not the first time Sunderland have had huge budgets to spend. They also had a ‘world class manager’

The team is currently in league one, I believe.
I'm not sure that any splurge the cash team has got promoted of late. Most are simply the latest relegated team from the champ with all the money that gains. Or teams like Sheff Utd that built up to it over a few years and more importantly finally picked the right manager for the job. (Or Wycombe who should actually be applauded for managing it)
It does appear that unless you have just been relegated, it is a really tough league to get promoted from.
(21-01-2022, 11:55 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]The two richest owners in League 1 pitting their wealth in tomorrow’s head to head.

Dunno about that Wightie. It might rain.

The main difference is one is prepared to invest in the team & the other isn't.

We've messed up 'Big Time' in previous Januartry transfer windows going for quantity Not quality.

ME has to be prepared to put his hand in his very shallow pockets if DC can identify a quality striker & LWB.
Gerry

Another swimming gala ? I say, what fun !
No rain forecast, unfortunately.
(22-01-2022, 10:35 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]No rain forecast, unfortunately.

Can’t use that excuse this time then, eh?

They keep saying it’s our cup final.

I hope they’re right.
(21-01-2022, 01:32 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure that any splurge the cash team has got promoted of late. Most are simply the latest relegated team from the champ with all the money that gains. Or teams like Sheff Utd that built up to it over a few years and more importantly finally picked the right manager for the job. (Or Wycombe who should actually be applauded for managing it)
It does appear that unless you have just been relegated, it is a really tough league to get promoted from.
No leagues are easy to get promoted from are they?