TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Denver Hume
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can it really be true that Cowley is looking to sign Sunderland left back Denver Hume, out of contract in the summer but, allegedly, Pompey will pay a fee.

Widely trailed as a distinct possibility (and RTG seem to think it’s happening)

How would it make any sense ? Pompey with one of the best defensive records in the league buying a left back when we already have Brown as cover but at the same time are the fifth lowest scorers in the league with two strikers who seem to come from the ‘Cows arse/Banjo’ mould.

Are we really going to soldier on with just our current attack ?

If it happens it will simply confirm Cowley as a defence oriented manager who still doesn’t realise that it’s goals that win matches.
(23-01-2022, 09:36 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Can it really be true that Cowley is looking to sign Sunderland left back Denver Hume, out of contract in the summer but, allegedly, Pompey will pay a fee.

How would it make any sense ? Pompey with one of the best defensive records in the league buying a left back when we already have Brown as cover but at the same time are the fifth lowest scorers in the league with two strikers who seem to come from the ‘Cows arse/Banjo’ mould.

If it happens it will simply confirm Cowley as a defence oriented manager who still doesn’t realise that it’s goals that win matches.
For the last time, Hume is under contract until June 2023 so we will have to pay a fee. I’m sure we will be looking for another striker too.
If he wants to sign another defender, you have to back him.

Same if he wants to leave our most threatening attacking player on the bench most games, and play someone who couldn't get a starting spot in non-league, you have to back him.

If he wants to put a winger who's never played as a striker before and makes Nigel Quashie look like Mo Sarah up front when you're struggling for goals, let him. Just don't sit in row Z if you don't want to be hit in the face.

Some of DC's decision making is illogical, to put it politely. But you have to give him the 2 seasons to have a fair crack of it.
Wightblue I know you are finding it difficult to support Pompey or stay positive at the moment, however, Hume is a left wing back and can play left midfield. Brown is a very average No pace fullback and Recco isn’t any of those. A left wing back is a priority. We aren’t scoring because the strikers don’t get a decent service from Curtis or Harness
If we do sign him, it certainly seems to be the end of brown unless we keep him as cover for if we go 4 at the back.
I do think that Cowley is only bringing in players that he wants on permanent moves. So if he cannot find the striker he wants now, we will use loans then get the striker in the summer. Better in the long term, but tough for a few months.
I'd actually support him in doing it that way, mainly because this team looks miles form promotion so we might as well focus on building for next season and not waste money on over paying in the January window.
Hm !

I still maintain the absolute priority is a striker, I know we don’t make that many chances and the strikers have less to feed on than they might like but both our current strike force, thus far, are like Harrison and Marquis were ie profligate.

Harness with 9 is the 10th highest scorer in L1 and he isn’t a striker !

Is Hume going to be so much better than Curtis (who seems to be used by Cowley as part of his strike force) that its worth expending money on (money which always seems in short supply at Fratton Park) ? for me the answer is no.

Clearly I am in a minority on this subject so I will wait and see if Hume proves to be the catalyst which gets us into the Play-offs, surely that’s the acid test.
The two most worrying aspects of this potential deal is that, if the guy is signed as a wing-back, it appears that Cowley is determined to persist with three at the back at the cost of a competent striker. A frightening prospect.
He can also lay left midfield so could be used in a 4 man midfield in 442 , Curtis will probably move on.
When Curtis has played on the left he has scored goals, he should be moved back there. Does Denver Hume contribute with goals or are we filling our side with players who can't score?
(23-01-2022, 09:36 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Can it really be true that Cowley is looking to sign Sunderland left back Denver Hume, out of contract in the summer but, allegedly, Pompey will pay a fee.

The last few weeks have made it absolutely clear that Hackett is not good enough to play left wing back, and Brown is not mobile enough. We are crying out for a new left wing back and Hume fits the bill, so what's not to like. With him in we have the players to play just about every formation you can think of. 

It will make no difference to if we get another striker or not. That will happen if one of our targets becomes available and it won't happen if they don't.  Just as long as we don't sign some January dross (e.g. Bogle, Vaughan) just because we are desperate.  Walker looks promising and IMO our goalscoring problem has more to do with supply that finishing so if we don't get anyone it's not the end of the world as long as we fix the supply problem (e.g. by playing Jacobs and practising crossing past the first defender).
Record the time and date. I am agreeing with Deep ffs!

Much better to be patient and wait for our Bobby big bollox striker, even if that does mean waiting til the summer and watching the season fizzle out. Just reading the names Bogle and Vaughan send shivers down my spine.

Thats not to say that scoring goals isn't the number 1 major concern with this team. Also of note is that there are about 12 or more players out of contract in the summer so its another major overhaul looking likely... DC and the recruitment team have a LOT to do.
We'd gone 5 away games in a row without conceding so obviously the problem is not really in defence. It's our crossing and getting the effing ball between those white sticks.
Denver Hume currently undergoing a medical after Pompey and Sunderland agreed an undisclosed fee. Expect his signing to be announced later today.
I just hope Danny knows what he's doing. Not an inspiring signing but can't be worse than Reeco.
Rocky Mountain high, Colorado
Curtis is an able winger at this level but he ain't no central striker. Despite DC telling us how wonderful HF is.. he isn't. I wonder if his desire to play a particular style means we have square pegs in round holes and a permanent need to get better left-backs/wing backs at the expense of the real problem... midfield creativity and strikers who have any idea where the net is. We also now have a decent young keeper who would be struggling to get any game time (even without Baz here) because he doesn't fit the 'play high up the pitch as a sweeper' mould. I like keepers who save shots and catch crosses above all else tbh. I remain unsure if DC is the answer but like someone else said I guess one more season to get it right?
(24-01-2022, 01:18 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope Danny knows what he's doing. Not an inspiring signing but can't be worse than Reeco.

Sunderland fans are not giving him a glowing endorsement are they. “I’ll drive him down myself, what’s the postcode “

I would have preferred Tom Pearce who have been cheaper. His contract expires at the end of this season. Whereas Hume is contracted until the Summer of 2023.
(24-01-2022, 01:25 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Curtis is an able winger at this level but he ain't no central striker. Despite DC telling us how wonderful HF is.. he isn't. I wonder if his desire to play a particular style means we have square pegs in round holes and a permanent need to get better left-backs/wing backs at the expense of the real problem... midfield creativity and strikers who have any idea where the net is. We also now have a decent young keeper who would be struggling to get any game time (even without Baz here) because he doesn't fit the 'play high up the pitch as a sweeper' mould. I like keepers who save shots and catch crosses above all else tbh. I remain unsure if DC is the answer but like someone else said I guess one more season to get it right?

Sorry, but if anyone thinks we are going to get promoted with the Cowley’s in charge need a serious reality check.
A mate just txt me the undisclosed fee is £175k. Not sure how he knows this, he isn't itk or anything.
(24-01-2022, 12:57 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Record the time and date. I am agreeing with Deep ffs!

Much better to be patient and wait for our Bobby big bollox striker, even if that does mean waiting til the summer and watching the season fizzle out. Just reading the names Bogle and Vaughan send shivers down my spine.

Thats not to say that scoring goals isn't the number 1 major concern with this team. Also of note is that there are about 12 or more players out of contract in the summer so its another major overhaul looking likely... DC and the recruitment team have a LOT to do.

Wasn't Joe Mason a January signing as well?

Yep, better to wait until the summer.
Jackett was given around 3 goes so I am in no doubt DC will be given one more. I don't expect him to deliver anything other than hot air but I'm just saying that's how it's likely to turn out. Maybe I didn't word myself accurately in prev post.
A fee of around 200K according to the Blunderland Echo
I cant believe how many pompey fans are writing the lad off before he's even signed. Yes Sunderland fans are not giving him a glowing endorsement but we have done exactly the same with marquis and Harrison only for them both to score on their debuts and not seen any lincoln/Fleetwood fans whinging about them yet. Let's give him some time before writing him off ay?!

Also, we finally sign someone on a permanent deal and it's not good enough. Everyone moans when we sign loan players as we are 'improving other teams players', we sign someone who will actually be here for a couple years and that's not any good. Unfortunately, nowadays it seems whoever the manager is, he simply cannot win!
(24-01-2022, 02:17 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-01-2022, 12:57 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Record the time and date. I am agreeing with Deep ffs!

Joe Mason

On 31 August 2018, he was loaned out to League One Portsmouth until January 2019 in a move which saw him again link up with Kenny Jackett who had signed him at Wolves.[34] However, he made just a single appearance in the league for Pompey, appearing as a late substitute against Wycombe Wanderers.[35] On the final day of the January 2019 transfer window, his contract with Wolves was terminated by mutual agreement to allow Mason to find a new permanent club Big Grin
(24-01-2022, 03:50 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-01-2022, 02:17 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]

Joe Mason

On 31 August 2018, he was loaned out to League One Portsmouth until January 2019 in a move which saw him again link up with Kenny Jackett who had signed him at Wolves.[34] However, he made just a single appearance in the league for Pompey, appearing as a late substitute against Wycombe Wanderers.[35] On the final day of the January 2019 transfer window, his contract with Wolves was terminated by mutual agreement to allow Mason to find a new permanent club Big Grin

Exterm, I remember the horror show and awfulness that was Joe Mason, just not when he was with the club.  TBH, he was so bad he should have been a January window signing!
Pages: 1 2