TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Defoe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its a shame he is such a massive coont because he is exactly the type of signing we need. 

I am also a stubborn coont and would rather stay in L1 than have him play for us again. But that's just me.
Sounds like he might be here next Monday. 

Playing for Charlton. 

That would be an interesting reception.
I've nothing against him. He didn't really want to be here but when he came he played well & scored. When the chance came to move he did. If you treat players like commodities then we've no right to expect loyalty
I too thought he was OK. It was Rednapp that never seemed to quite rate him.
(25-01-2022, 05:04 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]I too thought he was OK. It was Rednapp that never seemed to quite rate him.

I can't actually remember why I don't like him. Didn't he play a key cup game for us just before signing for spurs, missed a penalty and just didn't turn up and we got knocked out. Or did he miss a game for us during Tottenham negotiations claiming he was injured then signed for spurs the next day and happily played at the weekend. Or did he do both!!?

Jeez I can't remember why I think he was a bit if a dik.

I'm sure he got a QC to get him off a charge for speeding down Eastern Road claiming someone else was driving? 

Anyway, he's a knob.
That and also being presented at half time in Tottenham whilst still being 'injured' and still a pompey player.

I also remember Ian Wright claiming Pompey fans were racist for not being happy with his actions.
(25-01-2022, 05:04 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]I too thought he was OK. It was Rednapp that never seemed to quite rate him.

Is that a joke ?  Redknapp bust a gut to sign him, forcing Benjani out against his will to pay for him, and then signed him again as soon as he got to Spurs.  How does that equate with not rating him ??
Did a bit of delving. He was subbed by Kanu in the Boxing Day 2008, 1.4 defeat here by West Ham. I wasn't there but there are those who say he never tried a jot. Came on as sub 2 days later in a 1.0 defeat at Arsenal, never to play for us again. Signed for Spurs 9th Jan, debut v Wigan and scored in a 1.1 draw at White Hart Lane against Pompey Jan 18th.
(25-01-2022, 06:35 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Is that a joke ?  Redknapp bust a gut to sign him, forcing Benjani out against his will to pay for him, and then signed him again as soon as he got to Spurs.  How does that equate with not rating him ??

But when he got him he was loath to play him.
(25-01-2022, 07:52 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-01-2022, 06:35 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

But when he got him he was loath to play him.

I don't think you are remembering correctly. He signed at the end of the transfer window in Jan 2008 and played 12 games out of 14 till the end of the seasons, and one that he missed was to Spurs (perhaps part of the deal to sign him), and then played 12 out of 13 of the games at the start of the next season before Redknapp pissed off to Spurs. 

Did you mean he was loathe to play him in the FA Cup games ? That was because he was cup-tied.
The cognitive dissonance towards Defoe is staggering. He is probably the most clinical striker we have had in the last 25 years (sorry Toddy) and amongst the top three of all time
(26-01-2022, 10:29 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]The cognitive dissonance towards Defoe is staggering. He is probably the most clinical striker we have had in the last 25 years (sorry Toddy) and amongst the top three of all time

I don't think many dispute his ability, just his attitude and lack of respect for the club and the way he left.  

But IMO he was not here long enough and you need  to play more than 30 games for a club to be talked about in the the all time best lists. He only scored 15 goals for us, not enough to be a club legend.
I agree with you that he is not a club legend Deep. But respectfully, that is not what I said. I said he was probably the most clinical striker we had. My praise was based on his capabilities demonstrated during his time with us.

But I do take the point about the ill feeling about his exit.