TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Lack of Goals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Marquis has just scored for Lincoln so 2 goals in 3 games & the same for Harrison at Fleetwood.

Why couldn't they score regularly for Pompey?

It has to be the Cowley's Formation & lack of supply from crosses & through balls into the box.

I don't care how good or bad a striker is perceived to be but if they don't get a decent service they're not going to score regularly.
2 in 2 so far for Marquis . Just adds to the argument that Jackett and the Cowleys ain’t got a clue !!!!
Looks like appleton is playing two up front,Cullen starting as well
This proves nothing does it?

Most strikers score when they first sign for a club, fired up trying to make a good impression and all that.

I watched the Fleetwood v Plymouth game and Harrison was unimpressive to say the least, yes he scored but I’d be amazed if he gets a lot of goals for them.

I agree that the service at Pompey has been crap though, the crossing has been distinctly Sunday League.
(29-01-2022, 04:24 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]This proves nothing does it?

Most strikers score when they first sign for a club, fired up trying to make a good impression and all that.

I watched the Fleetwood v Plymouth game and Harrison was unimpressive to say the least, yes he scored but I’d be amazed if he gets a lot of goals for them.

I agree that the service at Pompey has been crap though, the crossing has been distinctly Sunday League.

Good points Gaffer but it does say that neither are completely useless.

Yes, there's the initial impetus at a new club but you still need to get the chances.

I have a feeling that both players will come back to haunt us.
The Cowleys have nothing to do with a players ability to cross (unless they bought the player, of course).
Not by Bolton today.
I have been on the bandwagon for quite a while that we need finishing coaches and we need to sort the service.

This reinforces my view.

The argument is growing: our style of play mutes goalscorers
Forget about Marquis and Harrison they’ve had ample chances and gone through 2 managers. Yes they’ll score, that’s what they were meant to do here but couldn’t . You can blame coaching, management , service, tactics or whatever, but if they were natural goalscorers then they would’ve scored a lot more than they did.
Good riddance and move on.
Harrison is an average striker. Never really had a problem with him, tbh.

Marquis has a happy knack of being in the right place at the right time. Unfortunately, it was like watching the ball hit a Toblerone. Nobody was quite sure which way the ball was going to go, when he kicked it. Marquis didn’t have any more idea about it than the keeper did.
play lower league strikers in a front two and they will do a reasonable job. Isolate them up front against any reasonable well organised defence and they will struggle. Simples
(29-01-2022, 06:52 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Harrison is an average striker. Never really had a problem with him, tbh.

Marquis has a happy knack of being in the right place at the right time. Unfortunately, it was like watching the ball hit a Toblerone. Nobody was quite sure which way the ball was going to go, when he kicked it. Marquis didn’t have any more idea about it than the keeper did.

Analogy reminds me of Ibrahima Sonko. What a 50p head that lad was
(29-01-2022, 05:22 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]The Cowleys have nothing to do with a players ability to cross (unless they bought the player, of course).

Really?

They are paid to manage.

If the crossing is rubbish you spend a lot more time on that in training don’t you?

It is definitely a skill that can be improved by training, repetition makes perfect.
I'm not sure about striker coaching. It's not that hard. Assess where the passer is most likely to put the ball , get there as the ball arrives and kick or head it properly. Don't go too early and wait for it, it's not a bus. Job done.
Regarding where the ball is going to arrive
Whitts has been banging on for several seasons about our lack of bodies in key positions when a cross arrives.
Not sure anyone can question his knowledge of being in the right place.
One at the near post, one in the middle, one arriving late at the back. That has not changed for years yet Pompey have seemed unable to do it right back to Ben Davies putting beautiful back stick crosses in consistently, with never ever anyone there. It does help if you have two strikers who bust a gut to get to one of those positions.
Whitts has also been driven potty by Marquis laying off the ball then running out of the box rather than onto the end of the return ball.
However way we dissect. Lack of goals is the problem. We should havetaken points from both MKDons & Mackems games but No Cutting edge. Let's see what happens tomorrow but don't hold your breath. No Goals = No Playoffs = No Promotion. How ambitious are the Owners you have to ask? I think we all know the answer so finish the work at the ground sell & move on.
(30-01-2022, 07:46 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]However way we dissect. Lack of goals is the problem. We should havetaken points from both MKDons & Mackems games but No Cutting edge. Let's see what happens tomorrow but don't hold your breath. No Goals = No Playoffs = No Promotion. How ambitious are the Owners you have to ask? I think we all know the answer so finish the work at the ground sell & move on.

I’ve already written the season off.

If we get into the playoffs I’ll consider that a bonus.
I know what you mean but I haven't written the season off. I just want to watch football that is entertaining.

I'm not desperate to get out of this league, just to be disappointed, distraught, depressed, suicidal or whatever other extreme emotion I am supposed to feel, when we get to the championship. I don't measure the success of a season, based on whether we're promoted or not. I would be a very disillusioned soul if I did.

Some more goals would be nice.
We're 10 points off the playoffs and 1 above the bottom half of the table. It's not impossible that we could go on a miraculous run and scrape the playoffs, but it doesn't seem likely at this stage.

That doesn't seem like 'progess' to me but the happy-clappy type of fan seems to think it's all fine. What do I know. Perhaps it is.
It wouldn't have happened under Jackett. Results were always enough to get us in the top six area but.............

The football was sooooooo farking boring and we still never got promoted.
Let's wait for the Unamed Striker to be announced but can't play tonight as not being sined in time. It's a bit like the "Masked Singer" - Michael Owen could still score us goals even at his age!
We had a masked striker didn't we? Curtis Main? Did he play in a mask for ages?