TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: My first criticism of Cowley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so here it is.

I have been advocating patience in the Cowleys and I accept we are now at the quarter way point of what I think is a two year project to turn over our players, instill a ground based passing game and get promoted to the Championship.

One of the things that impressed me about the pair when they arrived was an early interview when they were talking about "treating footballers like human beings rather than pieces of meat". I was pleased to hear that because I also believe that a company (team) is it's people and so if you want to build the company (team, club) up, you start with the people, treat them well, listen to them, invest in them and trust them to lead.

What therefore leaves a very sour taste is the way that Brown's transfer was handled.  If the player's account is to be believed - and I have no reason to dispute that it is - Cowley rang him, gave him the Dear John and told him to get the move done in time for Saturday, don't come to training, anything you have at the club we will ship it to you.

I'm sorry but that is complete and utter hypocrisy and not at all what I want to be seeing of a supporter of this football club.

Yes Brown is getting on and yes with Hume signing it was time to move him on, and I am happy with the business which has been done. But I agree with the player himself who says there is a way to have these sorts of conversations.

The player was a stalwart for us, good character and was a player who would stood up and be counted when things went sour. Good luck to him and shame on us for the lack of professionalism when parting with a former captain and ayer of nearly four years who conducted himself with grace.
If true, then I’m disappointed in DC. Not the way it should be done and not the way to treat a player who has given almost 3 years of his playing career to this club.
Football has always been like that, as Benjamin testified.

I was pally with a certain G. Stanley, a while back (he was shit for Pompey!) and he related an account of when he left Chelsea. Turned up for training, to be told he’d been sold to Everton. No choice in the matter.
Telling him by phone is not ideal but better than delaying if they were not going to meet quickly. 

The other side of the argument is that DC makes great store of looking after his players, and with the decision that he was not getting a new contract in the summer already known and discussed (face to face) making sure he got the opportunity to secure a 2.5 year contract elsewhere at his age could be said to come under that heading. DC will have known that he was potentially weakening the squad because no doubt he would have got a game or two if he had stayed, but he was doing what was best for the player by letting him go.
It’s still no excuse for not doing face to face or even a personal phone call
(29-01-2022, 07:51 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]It’s still no excuse for not doing face to face or even a personal phone call

Cant help but feel this is, in the grander scheme, small fry tbh.
Well known that Brown was one of those in the dressing room who came up with the snidey "PE Teachers" thing in the dressing room. So sounds like Danny afforded him the same level of decency Brown afforded him. Ok 2 wrongs dont make a right but seriously this is a non story. No biggie.
Couldn't agree less. Treat people right on the way in and treat people right on the way out. Football is a small world and people talk.
(29-01-2022, 08:16 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Couldn't agree less. Treat people right on the way in and treat people right on the way out. Football is a small world and people talk.

What like they treated the Cowleys with their "PE teachers" bollox? lol. So it applies to the Cowleys but not to Lee Brown? Bollox does it.
Brown was a decent player, not great or poor. But when push comes to shove DC now believes he has a player in Hume more suited & better for the system. 
Tks Lee & bye-thats football.
As NC constantly goes on about doing it right, being respectful blah blah blah he should at least follow his own advice.