TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Turning your back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have watched again the second and third goals Oxford scored yesterday.
This is not just a Pompey thing, I see it all the time.
We did this yesterday.
Why do players make a half arsed attempt to block a shot by getting somewhere close to a player and then just turning their back on the ball? Or kneeling down, that seems quite popular too.
Nine times out of ten if they stood up, they could have blocked the shot (that tuned out to be a goal ) with their feet.
If our goalkeeper turned his back on every shot he faced, we would be calling for his head on a stick.
It makes my blood boill.
These blokes are supposed to be MEN, paid to play football, and paid to try and keep the opposition from scoring.
If it were me, I would fine them a weeks wages every time they turned their back on a shot.
it goes with the lack of commitment by strikers. When was the last time you saw a diving header to score a goal, or a slide in at the back post to shin the ball in.
Just watching the warm ups, they seem to spend a lot of time making pretty passes as if preparing for a five a side game. Not a single player in the way trying to intercept the ball.
(06-02-2022, 12:47 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]it goes with the lack of commitment by strikers. When was the last time you saw a diving header to score a goal, or a slide in at the back post to shin the ball in.

Errr, last week. And it was a stunner by Robertson.
Hirst does it to crosses and corners that are serviced to him.
I missed the one by Robertson, although it is exactly what I would expect from him, like raggett a proper centre half. Although I did say diving headers by strikers.
As regards Hirst, I will be more than delighted to celebrate when he does it!
I think everyone would be more than happy to see Hirst score more regularly. Reminds me of the situation when Colin Sullivan was here. Absolutely hated when he arrived. Club captain when he left.

Everyone was gutted for him when he missed that penalty.
Hammie, Robertson’s was an own goal
(06-02-2022, 08:53 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]I have watched again the second and third goals Oxford scored yesterday.
We did this yesterday.
Why do players make a half arsed attempt to block a shot by getting somewhere close to a player and then just turning their back on the ball? Or kneeling down, that seems quite popular too.
Nine times out of ten if they stood up, they could have blocked the shot (that tuned out to be a goal ) with their feet.
If our goalkeeper turned his back on every shot he faced, we would be calling for his head on a stick.
It makes my blood boill.
These blokes are supposed to be MEN, paid to play football, and paid to try and keep the opposition from scoring.
If it were me, I would fine them a weeks wages every time they turned their back on a shot.

Easy to say. Don't forget that Freeman had to be taken off due to being smacked in the face by the ball. When I was a referee I also had the same thing happen and had to stop the game for a few minutes while I recovered. I certainly want our players to be brave and fully committed to the cause but don't expect them to get a head injury to prove their commitment
From what I saw Curtis and Carter were very weak in the challenge against the Oxford lad who scored the third.
(07-02-2022, 08:55 AM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2022, 08:53 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]I have watched again the second and third goals Oxford scored yesterday.
We did this yesterday.
It makes my blood boill.

Easy to say. Don't forget that Freeman had to be taken off due to being smacked in the face by the ball. When I was a referee I also had the same thing happen and had to stop the game for a few minutes while I recovered. I certainly want our players to be brave and fully committed to the cause but don't expect them to get a head injury to prove their commitment
Nah, I’m with Cleaver. Absolutely no excuse for turning your back. It’s a basic thing for a defender. Goalkeepers don’t do it, fielders don’t do it, in cricket. I certainly didn’t do it when I played and I bollocked anyone else who did. It’s only a ball, ffs!
Robertson
own goal
ooops
I was not too well that day and slept through most of the game on the settee!
(06-02-2022, 08:47 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Hirst does it to crosses and corners that are serviced to him.

Probably worried he'll get dementia.
If you turn your back to the ball, you are not a footballer.