TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Hirst: an opposition view.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
‘Agreed, but Hirst, probably their best player on the day, should've been off 5 minutes later for elbowing Moore and got away with it’

A couple of discussion points, there.

Was he and should he have been?

As far as his ability goes, I am finding his performances more and more convincing and I really want to like him. 

Just put the ball in the back of the bloody net!!!
Love it!
Me too! ?
‘Agreed, but Hirst, probably their best player on the day, should've been off 5 minutes later for elbowing Moore and got away with it.’

A couple of discussion points, there.

Was he and should he have been?

As far as his ability goes, I am finding his performances more and more convincing and I really want to like him.

Just put the ball in the back of the bloody net!!!
There, a less comprehensive version.
Goal shy.
This isn’t his first club though, he’s never scored goals so it’s not because of the service here. He’s a “tries hard” striker, should have been sent back in the window.
maybe he is a striker who will eventually move back into midfield. He seems to have plenty of attributes but not the most obvious need to put set ups into the net.
(06-02-2022, 12:35 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]maybe he is a striker who will eventually move back into midfield. He seems to have plenty of attributes but not the most obvious need to put set ups into the net.

Probably more suited to an office job!
Not sure if many of our current team are quick enough up top to manage that.
He can hold the ball up but nothing more. Will drift out of the game within 5 years.
Did I dream of hearing Whitts discussing how many of today's young strikers cannot actually play two up front as they have been coached into only one game plan. ie hold it up and play back. I seem to remember him saying how playing in a two requires a totally different mind set.
Anyone remember a recent thread about strikers who failed at pompey but did much better elsewhere?

Could some of the comments above be a pafr of the problem?

Anyone remember how many games it took for David Kemp to get his first pompey goal?
We are an impatient crowd because we are a large crowd.

If we scare you, get off the pot and let someone else have a go.
(06-02-2022, 08:35 PM)brian bromley Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone remember a recent thread about strikers who failed at pompey but did much better elsewhere?

Could some of the comments above be a pafr of the problem?

Anyone remember how many games it took for David Kemp to get his first pompey goal?

But he hasn’t scored anywhere, can’t blame us for that
How many games has he played for pompey?
(06-02-2022, 08:49 PM)brian bromley Wrote: [ -> ]How many games has he played for pompey?

Too many
Reference an opposition view, Oxford fans don't like Curtis very much at all. Good on him.
Some Pompey fans don't like him either.
Thank goodness tinterweb wasn't around when King Kemp came here, you lot would have written him off for missing gilt edged chances before finding the net eventually. The legend would never have happened and pompey fans would not be singing the DK song today.

I notice Marquis is scoring again, one two other rubbish forwards are having a new lease of life on fields anew.

We'll drink a drink, a drink a drink......
I seem to recall one of our prem strikers took a while to get going (Yak or B ?) they got Luther Missitt into coach him in the art of saving his energy for scoring rather than running about all over the place. He then improved and went on a masssive scoring run.
Not to mention peter crouch at liverpool
Hirst has a lot in common with Marquis, in that both are guilty of missing absolute sitters. Doncaster fans were under no illusions about how profligate he was.Given the same number of chances, I find it difficult to believe that Hirst couldn't at least score more.
The major difference between the two is that Hirst can at least control the ball and he brings other players into it. I really don't miss Marquis at all. I don't care if he scores forty a season for someone else, he is awful to watch.
(06-02-2022, 08:35 PM)brian bromley Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone remember how many games it took for David Kemp to get his first pompey goal?

Fourth game then he went on a run of scoring in three consecutive games and totalled 17 goals in just over half a season.  Could you see Hirst or any others doing that?  No, me neither.

It's all out there if you look hard enough...
It was Benjani who couldn't score fot toffees, difference is the crowd stuck by him similarly Crouch at liverpoo - the kop gave him great support,

Goals are all about confidence, the crowd can make or break a player and instant writing off a player is not support.
(07-02-2022, 11:01 AM)brian bromley Wrote: [ -> ]It was Benjani who couldn't score fot toffees, difference is the crowd stuck by him similarly Crouch at liverpoo - the kop gave him great support,

Goals are all about confidence, the crowd can make or break a player and instant writing off a player is not support.

Both had scored a goal before joining us though, that’s the difference here.  Are you familiar with Hirst’s record?
Pages: 1 2