TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The worst bit about yesterday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
was that I turned on th BBC at half-time to check the score and saw 1-1 with Morrell sent off. Hmm, they're definitely going to lose this one now. I turned on again at 5 when the game would definitely be over.  Heavens be praised, they'd won 2-1. Little did I know, there was another 20 minutes to go and, a further, 10 minutes of added on time. Plenty of time for Oxford to finish the job, which, of course, they did. I haven't been as peed off about a result for years. Why do they do this to us supporters?
Always Oxford. I once went for a bath when we were winning 5 2. By the time I was finished it was 5 5
I'm already over this result. Yes the boys made it exciting but there was only one way this was going to go.

However, I'm still not yet come to terms with the 3-3 Coventry debacle. 5 at the back against 9 men at home. Unforgivable.
(06-02-2022, 03:38 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I'm already over this result. Yes the boys made it exciting but there was only one way this was going to go.

However, I'm still not yet come to terms with the 3-3 Coventry debacle. 5 at the back against 9 men at home. Unforgivable.

I know that is how everyone remembers it now, but actually what Jackett did was switch from a back 4 to a back 3 because you do not need 4 at the back against 9. A fairly standard tactic.  Playing wing backs is not normally called 5 at the back.  What happened was that Robins pushed his wide men up to nullify the wing backs, and that combined with mass complacency from the rest of the team, and Downing being unable to defend, led to the disastrous result. 

Jackett's mistake was not switching to 352 but not reacting to Coventry's reaction. Again I supect due to complacency.

And sowewhere amongst all that you have to find room to give Coventry a bit credit for how they didn't give up and kept playing.
and ultimately proved to be a good side and get promoted. But that night probably did as much as anything to kill belief if Kenny as manager, probably unfairly especially looking at what we have now

Deebo

Back to yesterday. I listened up until we were 2-1 up and went off to watch the rugby. I asked my daughter in law to check the result on her phone which she did and asked me what I reckoned the final score was. Using my lifelong experience of our team I told her we lost 3-2 and that they'd scored the winner in the last minute of extra time. How did I know that she asked me. Practice makes perfect I told her. They've been doing it for years.
and we never get used to the feeling when they do, sadly.