TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: successful managers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have Pompey ever in recent history (say since the 60s)
Had a manager who was unsuccessful in their first full season but went on to build a promotion side.

?
I'm struggling to think of one. All the 3 windows required stuff seems to ignore our managerial history, in my life time anyhow. 
Alan Ball, Bobby Campbell, Harry, Jim Smith, Frank Burrows, Cook, Kenny
All got very close in their first full season as far as I recall.

All the others struggled, and got sacked or continued to struggle, again as far as I recall. 
Fenwick may have done quite well?
(06-02-2022, 04:23 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Have Pompey ever in recent history (say since the 60s)
Had a manager who was unsuccessful in their first full season but went on to build a promotion side.

?
I'm struggling to think of one. All the 3 windows required stuff seems to ignore our managerial history, in my life time anyhow. 

All the others struggled, and got sacked or continued to struggle, again as far as I recall. 

Cook's first season was deemed a failure and many were calling for his head during the promotion season that followed. 

Ball missed out closely twice before going up at the third attempt, so not exactly unsuccessful but not successful either. 

Smith & Kenny never managed promotion sides, and I don't remember anything that Fenwick did that could be considered a success, other than the Venables inspired cup win at Leeds.
(06-02-2022, 04:47 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-02-2022, 04:23 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Have Pompey ever in recent history (say since the 60s)

?

Cook's first season was deemed a failure and many were calling for his head during the promotion season that followed. 

Ball missed out closely twice before going up at the third attempt, so not exactly unsuccessful but not successful either. 

Smith & Kenny never managed promotion sides, and I don't remember anything that Fenwick did that could be considered a success, other than the Venables inspired cup win at Leeds.
totally agree about Fenwick. I just have a nagging thought in my head about one of that run of charisma less managers somehow finishing reasonably high while boring us all to death. 
As regards the rest, I just feel their first season was pretty good compared to what was expected. Jim Smith's side was a fantastic step up, ditto Ball. Cook built the promotion side in one window pretty much and they got to the play offs, Kenny almost. 

I suppose my big worry is that our history suggests managers who don't get it right in their first season here never go on to achieve much better.
Let’s hope that the Cowley’s only got a 2 year contract.
The way I recall the Fenwick era was thinking we'll never really know how he could have done because he was totally shat on by Venables.
Success in a managers first season depends largely on the quality of the players, cashable assets and academy they inherit. Jackett left a squad with no players that would interest Premiership clubs, of those released only Cannon interested a newly promoted championship club and the release of so many academy players probably tells us all we need to know about the quality of the youngsters coming through. There's no Webster, Hateley, Webb or Foster available to fund a quality recruitment campaign so perhaps we should have been a bit more realistic about what DCs first season would deliver.
(06-02-2022, 06:57 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]The way I recall the Fenwick era was thinking we'll never really know how he could have done because he was totally shat on by Venables.

All you need to know about Fenwick was that he was against Venables' plan to build the Fratton End because it would create louder chants from those wanting him out.