TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Best defence outside the top 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There you go, a small nugget of positive info related to our team. 

Something to build on
Absolutely. That's why we need to be more aggressive in midfield/attack!
So how do they keep on losing?
perhaps the attack is the worst outside the bottom 2 ??
Better defence stats than last season and 13 clean sheets already compared to 15 for the whole season last year. Whilst I understand the concerns across the whole team defensively Pompey look far better than last season and I think DC deserves some credit for recruiting Ogilvie, Romeo, Robertson, Baz and perhaps Carter & Hume when settled. All great teams are built on a strong defence - Just got to sort the midfield and attack now.
fair point.
Seems odd that with creative players who are at least decent for this level such as Harness, Morell, Curtis, Jacobs we are so very poor at putting the ball in the net. Maybe DC has just got unlucky with Marquis and Harrison but on paper it looks a play off squad with those two up front in some form.
(07-02-2022, 06:56 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]So how do they keep on losing?

From listening to Cowleys interviews, there are two things that he keeps mentioning:
1:Work against the ball - out of possession
2: Needing that extra pass to unlock defences

Is it possible that too much work is going into these areas of our game? 

I'm not saying we should be more direct but it does explain why players look a bit lost when they have the ball. What do I do? Err pass it? I don't want to be the one called out for shooting when I should have passed it...

It would explain  lot?
(07-02-2022, 12:49 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-02-2022, 06:56 AM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]So how do they keep on losing?

From listening to Cowleys interviews, there are two things that he keeps mentioning:
1:Work against the ball - out of possession
2: Needing that extra pass to unlock defences

Is it possible that too much work is going into these areas of our game? 

I'm not saying we should be more direct but it does explain why players look a bit lost when they have the ball. What do I do? Err pass it? I don't want to be the one called out for shooting when I should have passed it...

It would explain  lot?

Agreed, Saturdays performance was due to instinct and desire. We had 24% possession and deserved something instead of our normal 65% possession with a toothless display with players who don’t look interested and losing by a few goals. I think we’d be doing a lot better if everything was simplified.