TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 'Not in a position to explore free transfer options'....'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From tonight's News

'Pompey are not in a position to explore free transfer options to ease his midfield woes' 

'Such news will no doubt infuriate sections of the Fratton faithful already disappointed with how the transfer window unfolded'

'It begs the question how serious was their pursuit of a midfielder at the end of last month?'

Quote from Cowley: "I don't think we're in a position to look at the free agent market ....."

What does this all point to? No more funds available from the owners for wages for free transfers?
Did I read they were only looking at another player as someone was sniffing around one of our players?
Then the problem is not DC's as he more than realises he needs at least a 20 man squad and would've identified the players and positions he needed. It's either Cullen failed in negotiating or Tornate/Eisners didn't loosen the purse strings. I don't believe for one minute that any manager worth their salt would want a squad of 18 players.
What’s the point of spending more money? We are not going to make the playoffs even if we sign 5 free agents.
Cullen said they have already raised the wage bill twice and are spending more than Kenny ever did. That combined with worse performance does not suggest that we are getting value for money
It would appear we have become a “small “ club now with the current regime
(08-02-2022, 05:42 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Cullen said they have already raised the wage bill twice and are spending more than Kenny ever did. That combined with worse performance does not suggest that we are getting value for money

Probably a good conclusion. Playoffs pretty much gone now, better to save the money for the Summer transfer window. The key then is whether the Cowley's survive. The next couple of months will likely decide that. 
Meanwhile, whatever team of walking-wounded we can get together tonight, let's at least hope the same spirit is shown on the field tonight as it was on Saturday. If it is, a lot will be forgiven at least on the field.
They spunked the freed up wages on Walkers very high wages by all accounts. Luckily that has turned out to be well worth doing.
£2M to buy Thompson in January 2019 looks cheap now in hindsight doesn't it?

Tornante, portmanteau of tight as arseholes former Disney magnate
(08-02-2022, 06:06 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]They spunked the freed up wages on Walkers very high wages by all accounts.  Luckily that has turned out to be well worth doing.

I dont believe for one second that we are spending more. If Walker and  Hume are earning more  than Marquis Brown Downing Harrison Bass combined i would be astonished. Also it would be pretty piss poor managing of the available budget.
(08-02-2022, 06:57 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2022, 06:06 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]They spunked the freed up wages on Walkers very high wages by all accounts.  Luckily that has turned out to be well worth doing.

I dont believe for one second that we are spending more. If Walker and  Hume are earning more  than Marquis Brown Downing Harrison Bass combined i would be astonished. Also it would be pretty piss poor managing of the available budget.

Well that was from Cullen, so take it as you want, but I'm not sure he'd want to make up something so surprising.
(08-02-2022, 06:57 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]

You’ve only named 2 of the 5 players we’ve signed though. Webber won’t be on much less than Bass. We also would have paid a loan fee for Walker.
It was widely reported that Webber was getting £1000 a week. We were told Sunderland were paying towards O'briens wages which enabled the deal to happen We also let go of 2 loan players so we let 7 go and bought in five.  The owners have not supported Cowley financially at all. Ian Darke made the point that the owners have presided over the decaying of the team and now we are told we can't sign a much needed free transfer midfielder player. Can anyone explain whats going on?
Sunderland paid off O’Briens contract, I don’t think they are helping with wages. We paid a fee for Hume and his wages will be decent.

DC claims to be some sort of genius in the transfer market and plans for 6 months for the next window. Walker is an absolute waste of money. Cowley is responsible for this squad.
Basically, they don't want to invest in the team. Cowley's directive is to avoid relegation.

The playoffs would be a miracle now but who knows with pompey maybe a last minute dash with other teams messing up.

Wait for the ground improvements for H&S to be completed then wait for tghe club to be putup for sale.

I'm pretty convinced the owners don't want promotion as they'd have to pay much higher wages & pay actual fees for players.
But they would have the extra revenue to invest in the team if we got promoted.

They don’t want to invest in the team and then go and pay a fee for a player?

Who the hell do you think would buy Pompey?!

This conspiracy theory holds no water.
(08-02-2022, 10:07 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]But they would have the extra revenue to invest in the team if we got promoted.

That's true in theory assuming we are able to increase crowd capacity safely.

In practice I can't see it happening with this team.
(08-02-2022, 10:10 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-02-2022, 10:07 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]But they would have the extra revenue to invest in the team if we got promoted.

That's true in theory assuming we are able to increase crowd capacity safely.

In practice I can't see it happening with this team.

It’s not just capacity related, we’ll get more money being in the champ for TV right and sponsorships.

No this team won’t go up, not with DC in charge.
The owners think that Cowley will work miracles on a tight budget.

He only needs to screw up on one or two signings and he’s in the shit.
(08-02-2022, 10:21 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]The owners think that Cowley will work miracles on a tight budget.

He only needs to screw up on one or two signings and he’s in the shit.

I wonder who have them the impression he could work miracles on a tight budget.