TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Last night's ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Disappointing that we did not win more convincingly against a poor looking Burton side, but a much needed win achieved in difficultt circumstances. 

Bazanu 7  One very good save, got away with a scary spill near the end. 

Carter 8 Looked very assured and carried the ball forward well
Raggett 8 Solid as ever at the back and a good goal
Ogilvie 8 So reliable at the back, and was pleased to see him organising other people when he moved into midfield for the last ten

Romeo 6 Not at his best, but clearly not fully recovered from his injury 
Thompson 7 Worked so hard and took several hard knocks 
Jacobs 9 Outstanding. One of the best single-handed 'win the game on your own 'performances seen in years. Would have been a 10 if the hadnt faded a bit in the second half. 
Hume 6 maybe 7  I like the look of him, but he did not get forward as much last night as last week. 

Curtis 7 A strange role for him playing wide right but looked very motivated and a constant threat after a poor start 
Hirst 7 Gets a lot of stick for not being a goal threat but actually played well last night in all other respects. So nice to have a centre forward that can hold the ball up so it doesn't come straight back like with Marquis.
Walker 5 Again, got lots of stick but he worked hard and tackled back well. But had his first two opportunities to score since joining and missed them (first one quite well saved). I still think there is a player in there and once he scores he could go on a run and do a Benjani. First signs of combination play between him and Hirst last night. 

Tunnicliffe 6 Didn't have much to do 
Hackett 6 Not sure what the point of bringing him on for Hume was, unless Hume had a knock 
Robertson Not on long enough for a rating but he got stuck in. 

Cowleys 8  Deserve credit for a win with a patched up, half injured team and risking a new formation  - we may have seen 343 before but not with Curtis playing wide right. It worked quite well. Can't have been easy preparing for the game not knowing if Morrell was going to be able to play or not.
Very fair comments I thought. Especially as regards Walker.
At present he seems to lack that last bit of acceleration, extra stretch or determination that gets the best strikers there just in front of the defender. Let's hope that's rust and lack of match fitness. Otherwise he looks a bit of a one pace slogger.
Can't argue with any of that Deep - pretty much spot on. Nice to see a patched up Pompey side having a go all over the pitch with the crowd acknowledging their efforts - another enjoyable night.
Yep they did well considering they're all shite and there's something rotten at the club
All I czan say it's a good thing we still have Jacobs & MOM yet again. What was DC thinking leaving him out before? Oh of course Harnes plays in the same position! H eneds to find as way to play both if he really wants to score more goals. Jacobs can play either CM or the elusive No.10 role the only player capable of it.
I am worried that Walker has only got a one litre engine. Seems a bit sluggish? But agree hopefully once he pops the cork he will be away
Did Jacobs play during the unbeaten run?
(09-02-2022, 10:43 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]I am worried that Walker has only got a one litre engine. Seems a bit sluggish? But agree hopefully once he pops the cork he will be away

Certainly not as quick as his dad.
(09-02-2022, 11:41 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Disappointing that we did not win more convincingly against a poor looking Burton side, but a much needed win achieved in difficultt circumstances. 

Bazanu 7  One very good save, got away with a scary spill near the end. 

Carter 8 Looked very assured and carried the ball forward well
Raggett 8 Solid as ever at the back and a good goal
Ogilvie 8 So reliable at the back, and was pleased to see him organising other people when he moved into midfield for the last ten

Romeo 6 Not at his best, but clearly not fully recovered from his injury 
Thompson 7 Worked so hard and took several hard knocks 
Jacobs 9 Outstanding. One of the best single-handed 'win the game on your own 'performances seen in years. Would have been a 10 if the hadnt faded a bit in the second half. 
Hume 6 maybe 7  I like the look of him, but he did not get forward as much last night as last week. 

Curtis 7 A strange role for him playing wide right but looked very motivated and a constant threat after a poor start 
Hirst 7 Gets a lot of stick for not being a goal threat but actually played well last night in all other respects. So nice to have a centre forward that can hold the ball up so it doesn't come straight back like with Marquis.
Walker 5 Again, got lots of stick but he worked hard and tackled back well. But had his first two opportunities to score since joining and missed them (first one quite well saved). I still think there is a player in there and once he scores he could go on a run and do a Benjani. First signs of combination play between him and Hirst last night. 

Tunnicliffe 6 Didn't have much to do 
Hackett 6 Not sure what the point of bringing him on for Hume was, unless Hume had a knock 
Robertson Not on long enough for a rating but he got stuck in. 

Cowleys 8  Deserve credit for a win with a patched up, half injured team and risking a new formation  - we may have seen 343 before but not with Curtis playing wide right. It worked quite well. Can't have been easy preparing for the game not knowing if Morrell was going to be able to play or not.

I never saw much of the game due to work but the app I’ve got had Curtis as an attacking midfielder behind the two strikers in a 3-4-1-2 formation with Romeo as right wing back and Hume as left wingback. Was this not the case? It could be that Curtis in his ‘free role’ behind the strikers ended up on the right a lot. On a side note I worked with a young guy from Derry who says he knows Ronan and his family. Small world
Yes, that was how the teams were published. 

But they very much played with a front three with Ronan mostly out wide. With Walker & Hirst both mainly central it made the team look a bit unbalanced but it allowed Jacobs to get forward nearly as much as he would have done had he been playing in the 10 role and that proved decisive.  If Ronan had a free role then he clearly chose to play on the right - maybe he thought he had the beating of the left back.
Most of those ratings matched my view. However, goal apart, I was a bit disappointed with Jacobs. Felt he played in less of an attacking role than usual and he didn't stamp his mark on the midfield. 

My MOM was Thompson - an opinion shared by most around me in the Fratton End. Thought it was by far and away the best I've seen him play, regularly breaking up Burton possession and launching attacks for us.

All in all, it was a comfortable win and on the balance of play, we should have won by a 2 goal margin. A small but supportive crowd and an enjoyable evening. 

Looking forward to Saturday.
(10-02-2022, 08:54 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Most of those ratings matched my view. However, goal apart, I was a bit disappointed with Jacobs. Felt he played in less of an attacking role than usual and he didn't stamp his mark on the midfield. 

My MOM was Thompson - an opinion shared by most around me in the Fratton End. Thought it was by far and away the best I've seen him play, regularly breaking up Burton possession and launching attacks for us.

All in all, it was a comfortable win and on the balance of play, we should have won by a 2 goal margin. A small but supportive crowd and an enjoyable evening. 

Looking forward to Saturday.

I find that difficult to believe that you were disappointed in Jacobs who's been the star of the show in most games he's been allowed to play in by short sighted DC. He played where our master technician DC told him to play. He scored one & set Hirst up for what should have been a second.
You don't actually attend games though, do you?
Agree that Jacobs has been our MOTM a few times recently but just felt he wasn't used in his best position on Tuesday night. Thompson was my MOTM.

Not sure who the 'don't go to games' dig was meant for ......... I certainly go on a regular basis having averaged 30 to 40 games per season for the past 40+ years despite visits to FP involving a 6 hour + round trip!
That's impressive!
Good Lord. I can't imagine being that dedicated to average that many games with what has been served up over the last decade. Then slapping on a 3 hour trip home after having our arses handed to us by someone like Cambridge!

Like Rocketman says, impressive!
(11-02-2022, 10:08 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Agree that Jacobs has been our MOTM a few times recently but just felt he wasn't used in his best position on Tuesday night. Thompson was my MOTM.

Not sure who the 'don't go to games' dig was meant for ......... I certainly go on a regular basis having averaged 30 to 40 games per season for the past 40+ years despite visits to FP involving a 6 hour + round trip!

That was aimed at Mikey, PID.
(11-02-2022, 06:17 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2022, 10:08 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Agree that Jacobs has been our MOTM a few times recently but just felt he wasn't used in his best position on Tuesday night. Thompson was my MOTM.

That was aimed at Mikey, PID.

Not sure what I've done to upset you? No I don't for various reasons I've not been able to go. I have previously been a Season Ticket Holder but for family reasons I couldn't attend when I was in the area. I could now possibly attend the odd match but it seems impossible to buy a one off ticket although a signed up PFC website subscriber. I've tried to buy a ticket online but it won't let you unless you are a member. I'd love to go to a game again but the club don't make it easy to buy a ticket. In answer to your statement about Jacobs: He was either injured or iPad Mastermind DC didn't play him.
It's a shame you can't make it to games, or even watch them on Ifollow. If you did, you could at least lend some weight to your opinions about what Cowley should or should not do.
I do listen online & Sky Sports. I'll ring up the ticket office if I can get through & try to arrange some tickets.
(12-02-2022, 03:58 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]I do listen online & Sky Sports. I'll ring up the ticket office if I can get through & try to arrange some tickets.

Simple question ... if you want to buy tickets and you know how to get tickets why do you not take the simple step of becoming a member so you can ?