TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: M. Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If only ey
Is there a comparison with Hirst?
(13-02-2022, 01:46 PM)Pompeyloyal Wrote: [ -> ]If only ey

We should never have got rid of Smith, he was obviously a proper centre forward.
he was, but sadly completely lost his bottle at Fratton Park.

Around then, he was repeatedly signed and then loaned out again, even by Swindon. Which suggests to me he cannot cope down South.
(13-02-2022, 05:30 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]he was, but sadly completely lost his bottle at Fratton Park.

Around then, he was repeatedly signed and then loaned out again, even by Swindon. Which suggests to me he cannot cope down South.

Fans made out he was a worse player than he actually was unfortunately - fans should support/boost players confidence 

Bearing in mind some deemed him not good enough for League 2 - the personal abuse he received was incredible & even those that attempted to explain what he brings or defended him would also get abused 

I do think we are extremely quick to spin on our players
Can't disagree with that.
But for whatever reason, a striker running into the Fratton end box, then stopping and passing back rather than shooting really could not continue as our player. AND before he came here he had a record of being repeatedly loaned out which suggests it was not just here where he developed issues.
Pretty much, he is happy at one comparatively little club up north playing in red and has rarely done much anywhere else.
(13-02-2022, 06:28 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Can't disagree with that.
But for whatever reason, a striker running into the Fratton end box, then stopping and passing back rather than shooting really could not continue as our player. AND before he came here he had a record of being repeatedly loaned out which suggests it was not just here where he developed issues.
Pretty much, he is happy at one comparatively little club up north playing in red and has rarely done much anywhere else.

Well the dogs abuse he used to get from some of the ‘experts’ in the FE, I expect he did it on purpose.

These are the same clowns who slag off Raggett despite his consistently good performances.

These are the ball watching types who expect every player (in a lower league team ffs) to have the control and awareness of Messi.

His season at Wimbledon and first two seasons at Swindon were his best seasons in terms of goals per game (until this year), so not sure where you have got that idea from.  He was good when he was with us too, in every aspect of of play bar putting the ball in the net and as a fan base we have form for destroying decent centre-forwards who are not great strikers ... Hawkins was another - Jackett's most successful period came when he was playing up front not scoring very often.
Hirst gets shit now & I really fear for Walker as he is struggling - he has a reasonable record at this level thou

Be patient & get behind our players
At least Walker does what his surname says on the tin, to be fair
(13-02-2022, 07:26 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

His season at Wimbledon and first two seasons at Swindon were his best seasons in terms of goals per game (until this year), so not sure where you have got that idea from.  He was good when he was with us too, in every aspect of of play bar putting the ball in the net and as a fan base we have form for destroying decent centre-forwards who are not great strikers ... Hawkins was another - Jackett's most successful period came when he was playing up front not scoring very often.

You can’t blame the fans for Hawkins ffs, what’s he done since leaving us? He’s crap.
it was sad that he got injured
when he was good, we were very very good with him knitting it all together, then he lost it.
For a while we had so many threats running onto his lay offs it was very difficult to defend against us.
He was effective at bringing other players into the game but not much cop at putting the ball into the net.

A poor mans Hirst but I believe Hirst is improving.
I suppose the big question now is are we hoping to sign one or two of the three on a long term deal?
If one of them turned out to be good at knitting the team together but less good at scoring, while the other could stick the ball in the onion bag that would be nice, rather an old fashioned thing to have really, a proper strike force.
And of course for Danny, they would both have to be good first line of defence too, not sure Walker seems to do that
(14-02-2022, 11:45 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose the big question now is are we hoping to sign one or two of the three on a long term deal?
If one of them turned out to be good at knitting the team together but less good at scoring, while the other could stick the ball in the onion bag that would be nice, rather an old fashioned thing to have really, a proper strike force.
And of course for Danny, they would both have to be good first line of defence too, not sure Walker seems to do that

In theory Hirst & Walker should be that kind of partnership but Walker is just not doing it yet.  

I think we could do better than both of them for the money they are on because it looks like they are our two highest earners at the moment (even with Leicester paying half of Hirst's wages), but they've got the rest of this season to persuade everyone otherwise.
Walker is a curiosity. His past record seems to indicate that he should be bloody sight better than we've seen from him.

Even if he isn't showing his presumed class, he should be impressing us with his effort. Up till now, he hasn't even reached the lowly levels of Marquis.
Well, Nigel Clough is pretty happy with Hawkins. Says he's his best centre forward, and his best centre back. And he seems to be staying fit.
(14-02-2022, 01:07 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Nigel Clough is pretty happy with Hawkins. Says he's his best centre forward, and his best centre back. And he seems to be staying fit.

What does he know ffs? Smile
Oates and Johnson appear to be more prolific.

They are only in eighth anyway. So either he isn’t scoring enough or they’re letting in too many.
He's played most of the season at centre back, and after falling almost into the relegation spots, their rise up to 6th place has been pretty impressive. Just saying, cos I've got them in one of my yankees.
(14-02-2022, 01:07 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Nigel Clough is pretty happy with Hawkins. Says he's his best centre forward, and his best centre back. And he seems to be staying fit.

He’s in league 2 after failing at Ipswich.
I don't really care about any striker who is no longer playing for us. Especially those who are playing for teams below us in the league.

When is Walker actually going to put some effort in?
(15-02-2022, 07:21 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really care about any striker who is no longer playing for us. Especially those who are playing for teams below us in the league.

When is Walker actually going to put some effort in?

Well it’s true that what’s done is done Cunning, no point in crying over spilt milk and all that.

However, I wish some Pompey fans would look beyond the ‘runs around a lot’ criteria and stopped giving stick to good players and undermining their confidence.

Walker has so far not shown much sign of being what we need but time will tell.
I acknowledge your point, Gaff. What I wish to reinforce is that if things aren't happening for Walker, he needs to make it happen for himself. At the moment, he's anonymous. At least with Marquis, he was known for running around a lot, achieving very little, Walker has shown absolutely nothing at all. Apparently, we're paying a lot of money for that and he doesn't have time to 'tell'. He's here on loan until the end of the season.
(15-02-2022, 09:10 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]I acknowledge your point, Gaff. What I wish to reinforce is that if things aren't happening for Walker, he needs to make it happen for himself. At the moment, he's anonymous. At least with Marquis, he was known for running around a lot, achieving very little, Walker has shown absolutely nothing at all. Apparently, we're paying a lot of money for that and he doesn't have time to 'tell'. He's here on loan until the end of the season.

Give him & the team around him some time I say - he has obviously got sunmit about him 

If not he’ll get dinked off in the summer simples
Pages: 1 2