TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Shrews Tuesday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having had one last minute postponement
Have there been any comments from Shrews yet?
They were cancelled on Saturday with a waterlogged pitch.
We are staying near Presteigne, about an hour away, and it rained torrentially all day yesterday. In fact, the local farmer came knocking on our door last evening to warn us not to go out as the local roads are flooded.
I have a ticket and hope to go, but they'd best have a well drained pitch!

From now the weather forecast looks like good drying conditions but if anyone is looking to travel and will get the hump if they cancel on them two days running.....
A friend of mine booked a few days away in the area to take in both Crewe and Shrewsbury games so I hope for his sake that's not cancelled too.
It's dry up this way today and there's a couple of light showers forecast for tomorrow morning, but you'd think the wind will dry out the surface at least. Shrewsbury's about 30 miles away from me so fingers crossed they're getting the same weather and tomorrow night goes ahead.
The farmer's just popped over again. All three access roads to us here are flooded with cars stuck. He also said to bear in mind that at Shewsbury, because of the Severn, the weather arrives a day later, especially flooding water. and the new ground is close to the Severn, not as close as the old ground but pretty close.
So as with Dicky Bird at the cricket all those years ago, it could be bright sunshine and flood from underneath.
(21-02-2022, 12:00 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The farmer's just popped over again. All three access roads to us here are flooded with cars stuck. He also said to bear in mind that at Shewsbury, because of the Severn, the weather arrives a day later, especially flooding water. and the new ground is close to the Severn, not as close as the old ground but pretty close.
So as with Dicky Bird at the cricket all those years ago, it could be bright sunshine and flood from underneath.

The Severn is a bit of a hike from the new ground although there is a tributary that runs about half a mile away. That's really narrow and rarely ever bursts the banks, so I'd imagine there's minimal risk to the game from either. Stranger things have happened though.

Take your wellies and a life jacket and you'll be as good as gold.
Well, according to the BBC weather.......
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637891
This all confirms my feeling that you shouldn’t ever go into the countryside.
Lunchtime news had pictures of Shrewsbury town centre 2 or 3 foot underwater.  It would definitely be off if they were still at Gay Meadow, but new ground is a different question.  Flooding in Shrewsbury apparently normally happens about 3 days after the downpour due to the nature of the Severn, so the current forecast is not necessarily any guide.
Let's all hope it goes ahead for all the fans travelling to the game.

Also, to avoid fixture congestion later in the season.
(21-02-2022, 04:05 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Lunchtime news had pictures of Shrewsbury town centre 2 or 3 foot underwater.  It would definitely be off if they were still at Gay Meadow, but new ground is a different question.  Flooding in Shrewsbury apparently normally happens about 3 days after the downpour due to the nature of the Severn, so the current forecast is not necessarily any guide.

The alternative to all of this surmising would be to, say, phone the club directly and see what they say.  Ooh, I did just that and they see nothing in the forecast between now and tomorrow that makes them think there will be any problems.

Now wasn't that easy?
Probably what Crewe said too. Hope it does go ahead.
(21-02-2022, 06:58 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Probably what Crewe said too. Hope it does go ahead.

Considering it had been raining for days in Crewe before Saturday I doubt that very much.
The game is live on IFollow tonight for £10 as usual so will refrain from subscribing until the very last minute to be sure of not losing my money.
or wasting your money by sound of first 15 mins. 8 without a win for Shrews.. sounds ominous. well lively if hard to understand next 5 mins
it was lively throughout. Both teams gave as good as they got. Another ref would probably have dished out a handful of cards for various tackles, handbags and silly stuff.