TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Swindon enquiry for Close
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Loan bid turned down I am hearing?

Sounds strange I would have thought everyone would have won with that arrangement
Seems strange unless Pompey are hoping to sell him (maybe they have been sounded out) but otherwise let him go out on loan.

With White and Byers available in midfield his chances will be limited and as money is apparently so very tight at FP (so Deep assures us) getting something from Swindon towards some or all of his wages must be beneficial to the Club whilst giving Close a shot at regular first team football.

Of course Kenny boy seems to have remembered he is at the Club and he’s featured recently and scored a well taken goal but surely the time has come to let him go.
the loanees in are possibly very good, but do we know they can cut it in League 1. Close has a lot of experience now which we might be thankful for if some injuries or suspensions bite.
Close needs to push on and make a name for himself so he can play at a higher level. The closer to the top you get, the better he will look because the more his style is suitable
and any midfielder who can chip in with a few goals a season will be snapped up.
Personally, L2 is his level
Nah, hes easily L1 standard. His passing and goal threat is better than about 90% of L1 players. He just needs to add physicality to his game.
(27-01-2021, 07:28 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Close needs to push on and make a name for himself so he can play at a higher level. The closer to the top you get, the better he will look because the more his style is suitable

Agreed 

I've always said Close would be better suited to the championship than Lge 1 or Lge 2 where he struggles physically.
He has the ability, but I doubt he will ever get the opportunity unless he stays and goes up with us sometime.
I've obviously been watching a different player. Although PC and KJ think only of him as a bit part squad player. If he's championship suitable why hasn't a club taken a gamble on him.
(28-01-2021, 03:22 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I've obviously been watching a different player. Although PC and KJ think only of him as a bit part squad player. If he's championship suitable why hasn't a club taken a gamble on him.

He's got a good touch on the ball, very good awareness of those around him, a safe passer, and he reads the game well and covers defensively well. And scores good goals.

But he is too easily shrugged off the ball and is weak in the tackle so would be suited to a less physical league. He is maybe just a bit 'too nice' - a bit more aggression would help him.  The pace of the championship may catch him out but he would be eminently suitable for the french or belgian leagues.  

But with 177 appearances by the age of 24 he is very experienced too and he has been a lot more than a bit part squad player for long periods under both managers but he has suffered from the fact that the role he plays best is not often needed in lge 2 or lge 1.  He is a 'keep the ball safely and move it on quickly' type of midfielder but too often at this level getting the ball forward quickly takes priority and he is bypassed soemtimes, which is why he was much more of a regular under Cook than under Jackett.
>He's got a good touch on the ball, very good awareness of those around him, a safe passer, and he reads the game well and covers defensively well. And scores good goals.<

But he's very inconsistent and as you say too light weight
Been discussed before better as an attacking mid fielder who can score from distance.
He rarely does tho