TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The pitch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looks an absolute picture. No excuse for not controlling the ball. In days gone by it was a quagmire at this stage of the season.
We will pass beautifully in a little circle during the warm up.
(26-02-2022, 02:50 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Looks an absolute picture. No excuse for not controlling the ball. In days gone by it was a quagmire at this stage of the season.

Actually, it wasn't. Pompey have always had a decent surface, since Duggie Reid and his staff dug some effective drainage ditches back in the 50s. The Big Match Revisited confirms this.
Yep agree we've normally had a decent pitch as I recall. Sometimes it has got heavy under the South Stand no surprise. I have seen a couple on TV lately that are awful. Morecambe one of them who we have to visit
Take a look at the Biley Christmas show, 84. Quagmire
I was away at Sea sadly that day lol
Last game of the season, 1975, against Norwich, a billiard table.
when I used to sell programmes, Pete in the shop told me about Deacon's discussion with the groundsman in May. Groundsman: "I need six bags of grass seed"
Deacon: "You can have one"
Might account for the lack of green stuff along the South side in those days.
(26-02-2022, 06:58 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGZQuPFTTs&t=337s

Not a billiard table

It's certainly cutting up a bit. I was at the game, but I don't recall the weather conditions. There is no sand down and it looks very green. Billiard table is a figure of speech and not to be taken literally. As I said, in 1975, it was in startlingly good condition, compared to every other team featured, including Ipswich, who had been on the week before.
(26-02-2022, 08:27 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-02-2022, 06:58 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGZQuPFTTs&t=337s

Not a billiard table

It's certainly cutting up a bit. I was at the game, but I don't recall the weather conditions. There is no sand down and it looks very green. Billiard table is a figure of speech and not to be taken literally. As I said, in 1975, it was in startlingly good condition, compared to every other team featured, including Ipswich, who had been on the week before.

and comparing to now is unfair as the pitches then were proper grass on genuine earth as compared to a strange mix now of earth, sand grass and plastic