TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Oxford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is it fair to say that if we fail to win this game our season is officially dead? 

I know this season was over before it started in reality. But when do we accept that the last flicker of hope has extinguished?
Never surrender
I certainly saw this as an important yard-stick back in December. Pompey were on a decent run and this game would be a good test as to the level of their ambition. Unfortunately, they have fallen apart since and Cowley insists on putting out ridiculous teams with no hope of winning. It is already all over. However, I am hoping that the players will feel that they owe Oxford one for what happened up there. I won't be holding my breath.
Yes and no !

We have a couple of ‘easy’ games to follow Oxford, (Accy and Crewe) and maybe we can get 7-9 points from the three and stay in touch but then come the three probable season defining games, A Ipswich, A Plymouth and H Wycombe….probably 3 wins needed which seems unlikely at this moment.

Being positive, if we can keep our run going after those there is just the small matter of A Bolton and H Rotherham to follow.

Methinks the screw turns too tightly !
What happened in the easy game against accy in May? Or the easy game against Fleetwood Saturday?
(28-02-2022, 02:23 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Is it fair to say that if we fail to win this game our season is officially dead? 

I know this season was over before it started in reality. But when do we accept that the last flicker of hope has extinguished?

Can't see why this game is any more important than any other.  The flames will flicker until it is mathematicallly impossible, and at the moment it is still mathematically possible to win the league with 90 points, so the last play-off place will be possible for many more weeks yet.  

But you're right, giving up now will probably save time.
Did we ever hear what happened in the tunnel?
Ok, I've just spotted it in the News. The Police have decided nothing happened.
Has everyone seen the reminder about tickets on the official site? Basically saying to check that your ticket from the original match might have been refunded and you need to buy another.
I see Oxford as a similarly unpredictable team to us, however the one capability they have that we don't is a forward line that scores goals. This isn't a game to be trying Walker for the umpteenth time in the hope he shins one in. O'brien and Hirst should be shoe-ins.
Fair enough, but then we have to hope that Hirst shins one in.
(01-03-2022, 11:36 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Fair enough, but then we have to hope that Hirst shins one in.

And hope that he miscontrolls the balls like he did for O’Briens goal Saturday. Clearly wasn’t a pass as he went running after it.
This really is a 'Must Win' Game if we want a chance of getting into the play offs.

D.C. really needs to get his team selection right tonight.

Does he go with 3-5-2 or 4-4-2?

We really need to attack from the K.O. & press them high up the pitch.

The plan being that we try to nullify their attacking force by making them defend most of the game.

We must be alert to th equick counter attack though.

Winning possession in midfield could be key.
I hope the Cowleys are on this forum, there are some good tips for them to learn from Mikey there, they probably haven't thought of any of that.
Id be happy if we aren't 3-0 down after half an hour lol

Deebo

(01-03-2022, 02:47 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]I hope the Cowleys are on this forum, there are some good tips for them to learn from Mikey there, they probably haven't thought of any of that.

Given recent performances they most probably haven’t.
One thing is guaranteed: changes in starting eleven. Only once in 5 months has he kept the same team for consecutive games. Yes, of course injuries play a part, but rarely does that policy work out.
(01-03-2022, 04:14 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]One thing is guaranteed: changes in starting eleven. Only once in 5 months has he kept the same team for consecutive games. Yes, of course injuries play a part, but rarely does that policy work out.

At least 1 enforced change tonight with Curtis suspended
Yes, agree there has been too much chopping and changing. Can't underestimate how valuable a settled (winning) team is.

That being said, I do wonder how many games Cowley has had the opportunity to play his preferred starting XI.

Is it a sign of an immature manager to want to change things for every opponent? Rather than building a team that is solid & organised, and trust that your strengths will outweigh the opponent being able to predict your formation.
(01-03-2022, 05:38 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, agree there has been too much chopping and changing. Can't underestimate how valuable a settled (winning) team is.

That being said, I do wonder how many games Cowley has had the opportunity to play his preferred starting XI.

Is it a sign of an immature manager to want to change things for every opponent? Rather than building a team that is solid & organised, and trust that your strengths will outweigh the opponent being able to predict your formation.

He doesn’t know his preferred starting 11.
At least he’s dropped Walker to the bench
(01-03-2022, 02:48 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Id be happy if we aren't 3-0 down after half an hour lol

not looking good so far ..... Big Grin
We are a shambles at the back aren't we.
I might be saying too early but this referee seems to know what he is doing, might have to book their keeper for time wasting though
Raggie!
Pages: 1 2 3