TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Current form
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just been studying the table and form guide. There is now a massive gap between the play-off spots and the relegation zone - 30 points. We sit 7 points off the play-offs and 23 points above relegation. The biggest problem we have with closing the gap on the play-offs is that while we only MK Dons can match our form over the last 5 games, all almost all the teams above us are fairly consistent and only tending to lose when they play each other. I love the way we are playing at the moment and still believe we can get into the play-offs but need one or two above us to have a dip in form.
In the last six, we are toppa the league, said we are toppa the league. Nice
I believe we have a run against the top sides coming up, so all to play for.
After Crewe on Tuesday we have what I believe are the 5 Season defining games in a row over 21 days.

A Ipswich, A Plymouth, H Wycombe, A Bolton, H Rotherham.

All 5 opponents will believe they are challengers for playoffs and will see victories over us as necessary if they are to keep challenging, going to be tough and exciting.

We will need to steer clear of any further injuries and the stupidity of Red cards (I doubt we will get away with Reds against the 5 teams above as we did against an impoverished side in footballing terms yesterday).

After Crewe (surely a win) victories in the next 4 games and a draw against The Millers would be a huge step forward but I can’t help but feel it’s a little too big an ask….but here’s hoping.
I'd love to see a table based on games 24-present. Even a points per game 1st half vs second half. I would guess we have a better record the 2nd half of the season but we did have that long run without a win.
(06-03-2022, 04:25 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]After Crewe on Tuesday we have what I believe are the 5 Season defining games in a row over 21 days.

A Ipswich, A Plymouth, H Wycombe, A Bolton, H Rotherham.

All 5 opponents will believe they are challengers for playoffs and will see victories over us as necessary if they are to keep challenging, going to be tough and exciting.

We will need to steer clear of any further injuries and the stupidity of Red cards (I doubt we will get away with Reds against the 5 teams above as we did against an impoverished side in footballing terms yesterday).

After Crewe (surely a win) victories in the next 4 games and a draw against The Millers would be a huge step forward but I can’t help but feel it’s a little too big an ask….but here’s hoping.

I think gaining 13 points from these games is beyond us tbh. If we managed 10 I'd be delighted but 7 is probably more realistic with our small squad.
(06-03-2022, 04:33 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I'd love to see a table based on games 24-present. Even a points per game 1st half vs second half. I would guess we have a better record the 2nd half of the season but we did have that long run without a win.

Can't be arsed to do the whole table but by my maths our figures for the initial 24 games and next 10 are...
P24 W10 D7 L7.... ppg 1.54
P10 W5 D2 L3.... ppg 1.7

Fwiw the last 20 games read...
P20 W11 D5 L4.... ppg 1.9

Condidering those figures include a shit run of 3 losses from 4 (iirc) they're pretty impressive. Make of all that what you will...
Thanks, Tomsk.

Can you break that down a little more, please?

Total possession, corners won/conceded, number of times Curtis banged his hand on the turf after a foul, total quantity of Wagon Wheels sold etc.

No rush.
Sorry! And total number of times oi_oi_saveloy has made a coherent contribution to this Board.
(06-03-2022, 08:39 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry! And total number of times oi_oi_saveloy has made a coherent contribution to this Board.

Easy - zero
(06-03-2022, 08:31 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Tomsk.

Can you break that down a little more, please?

Total possession, corners won/conceded, number of times Curtis banged his hand on the turf after a foul, total quantity of Wagon Wheels sold etc.

No rush.
Wagon Wheels - 4. Four wheels on my wagon.
6 wins 2 draws to get I reckon.
Stayinup forecast that 76 points would make the playoffs, that means we now need 22 points from our last 12 games.

I see:
Wins against Crewe, Wycombe, Cheltenham, Lincoln, Gillingham and Morecambe (18)

Draws against Bolton, Rotherham, Wigan (3)

Losses against Ipswich, Plymouth, Sheffield We’d

My guesses (and that’s all they are) mean we may just miss out.

Of course, changing any of the three losses to a win makes a huge difference and beating Ipswich or Plymouth might be the difference between playoff and missing out……I just hope we don’t need a win away at Sheffield Wednesday on the last day !

Still, with our current forms, it’s all to play for.
Come on Wighty. Get us one more point from somewhere!
(07-03-2022, 10:38 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Come on Wighty. Get us one more point from somewhere!

No need.  74 points  has been enough for the past 10 years and with so many teams in the chase there is no reason to think it will any more this year.
(07-03-2022, 10:38 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Come on Wighty. Get us one more point from somewhere!

No need.  74 points  has been enough for the past 10 years and with so many teams in the chase there is no reason to think it will any more this year.
Except that this year the top six has about 8-10 more points than at this stage last year.

Incidentally, we are 1 point behind where we were this time last year, I think.
(07-03-2022, 10:32 AM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Stayinup forecast that 76 points would make the playoffs, that means we now need 22 points from our last 12 games.

I see:
Wins against Crewe, Wycombe, Cheltenham, Lincoln, Gillingham and Morecambe (18)

Draws against Bolton, Rotherham, Wigan (3)

Losses against Ipswich, Plymouth, Sheffield We’d

My guesses (and that’s all they are) mean we may just miss out.

Of course, changing any of the three losses to a win makes a huge difference and beating Ipswich or Plymouth might be the difference between playoff and missing out……I just hope we don’t need a win away at Sheffield Wednesday on the last day !

Still, with our current forms, it’s all to play for.

I hope we don´t fall at the first hurdle.
I must confess,  my only real knowledge of our competition comes from watching iFollow, EFL L1 on Quest every Saturday, looking at the league table and meeting the odd opposition fan.

I had a long discussion with a couple of Ipswich fans a couple of weeks ago (at a funeral !) and they were bullish about getting to the playoffs but not so bullish about winning them.

They were certain that if Cook had been dumped earlier they would be in the top 6 now, they believe that Kieron McKenna has given them a real chance of a winning run and that the Pompey game would be a make or break affair for both sides and that a draw would be poor result for either.

I had an Oxford supporting chippy working in the house last week and, although he was gutted at losing to Pompey, he felt that Oxfords fire power would give them a better chance than Pompey of the playoffs.

We all agreed that, with all the playoff 6 pointers coming up (and most of the top 10 have a fair number), no one has much margin for error especially if you are in the chasing pack like Ipswich and Pompey.

March is going to be a very exciting month for we Pompey fans !
(07-03-2022, 12:16 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Except that this year the top six has about 8-10 more points than at this stage last year.

Where can you get to see a table for this stage last year ?   I'd be interested to see one. 

Here is some cause for optimism : - last season after 36 games Oxford had only 50 points and then became the team to finish 6th with 74 despite losing 5 of the remaining 13 games.   That's 4 points fewer than our current 54 and we have two games in hand in comparision.
(07-03-2022, 04:12 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2022, 12:16 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Except that this year the top six has about 8-10 more points than at this stage last year.

Where can you get to see a table for this stage last year ?   I'd be interested to see one. 

Here is some cause for optimism : - last season after 36 games Oxford had only 50 points and then became the team to finish 6th with 74 despite losing 5 of the remaining 13 games.   That's 4 points fewer than our current 54 and we have two games in hand in comparision.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/
(07-03-2022, 04:12 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

We're a shoo in, then.
https://www.11v11.com/teams/portsmouth/t...arch-2021/

Table on this day 2021.

Don’t think 74 points is going to enough this year. Teams in place already have 60 plus with ten games to play.
(07-03-2022, 05:55 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.11v11.com/teams/portsmouth/t...arch-2021/

Table on this day 2021.

Don’t think 74 points is going to enough this year. Teams in place already have 60 plus with ten games to play.

You would need to compare the fixtures to be sure, because there are a lot of games between the teams in the top ten to come which may not have been the case last year. 

But yes, I'd agree looking at the current table that 74 is looking unlikely but history is history and ten years is a long trend pattern so who knows ?
Yes and although Rotherham look to have won the league teams can blow up spectacularly as these two tables illustrate. Good year for Pompey obviously.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/southampton/...pril-1949/

https://www.11v11.com/teams/southampton/...-may-1949/
(06-03-2022, 08:39 PM)BilltheCoward Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry! And total number of times oi_oi_saveloy has made a coherent contribution to this Board.

Poor bill
Pages: 1 2