TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Ipswich player ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Baz. Not a tremendous amount to do. He seemed to be more attacking minded than the rest of his team mates, at times. A clean sheet 8

Ogilvie. I like him more and more. 8

Robertson. Defensively pretty sound. Distribution is lacking for me. He can do it but it’s low percentages. 7.5

Raggett. Usual. One fantastic block and then juggled it between his legs. 8

Carter. Spent too much time having to defend. I like his forays forward. 8

Romeo. A better game. He had to defend and did so. 7.5

Tunnicliffe. Would like to see him more dominant. 7.5

Thompson. Is getting better and better. 7.5

Curtis. Wasted every set piece. 6

O’Brien. Nothing like as influential. Looked a bit sluggish to me. 7

Hirst. Marshaled well by Ipswich 7.5

Defense against attack. Two good teams did their respective jobs and cancelled each other out.
How did O’Brien get as much as 7 - was influenced by past performances

Just sayin - out of character him but I’m sorry he was awful

Tin hat on!!

I gotta say that those marks are generally a bit high but O’Brien was 5 at best
Blue tinted specs may have adjusted my thinking.

Did he actually do anything wrong? There just seemed to be a lack of resolve to get forward by everyone, from the midfield on. Curtis seemed to see most of the ball when it did go forward. Or did it just seem that way because he buggered up everything he touched.
The most telling part of O’Brien’s game on Saturday was when he was put through by a very decent ball from midfield but his lack of pace meant he was gobbled up almost immediately by Ipswich’s central defenders.

As Guy said, Hirst would have likely outrun them.

The easy meat/chopping block sides that we have played recently are gone, now it’s the rather better sides that confront us and our inability to fashion much at Ipswich showed that we haven’t necessarily resolved our goal-scoring issues.

Better do so, starting at Plymouth, or the play-off aspirations will go up in smoke, I see Plymouth as a must win game !

Wednesday are Home to Accy (who are pretty dire on the road) tomorrow and then away to struggling Gills. Plymouth host Accy on Saturday whilst we are at home to Wycombe.

We need to win the next two and hope that Wednesday slip up badly and Plymouth suffer a second defeat on Saturday.

Asking a lot !
O’Brien isn’t quick, as you very rightly pointed out. It has to be said that their two centre backs were lightning, compared to ours.
Not sure we had any problems with our goal scorers on Saturday. It was rather a lack of chances. We just looked tired.
might have to give Walker a start or two, at least he's scored. I think most of us are confused as to our missing winger, another one who has had a break lately.
Walker intrigues me. I presume he has something about him and his goal was certainly well celebrated by the other players. Not sure we have time to experiment, if we're going to succeed this season but......we might not have a choice, with games coming thick and fast.
(13-03-2022, 06:22 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Baz. Not a tremendous amount to do. He seemed to be more attacking minded than the rest of his team mates, at times. A clean sheet 8

Ogilvie. I like him more and more. 8

Robertson. Defensively pretty sound. Distribution is lacking for me. He can do it but it’s low percentages. 7.5

Raggett. Usual. One fantastic block and then juggled it between his legs. 8

Carter. Spent too much time having to defend. I like his forays forward. 8

Romeo. A better game. He had to defend and did so. 7.5

Tunnicliffe. Would like to see him more dominant. 7.5

Thompson. Is getting better and better. 7.5

Curtis. Wasted every set piece. 6

O’Brien. Nothing like as influential. Looked a bit sluggish to me. 7

Hirst. Marshaled well by Ipswich 7.5

Defense against attack. Two good teams did their respective jobs and cancelled each other out.

Maybe supports the players?
(14-03-2022, 12:25 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Blue tinted specs may have adjusted my thinking.

Did he actually do anything wrong? There just seemed to be a lack of resolve to get forward by everyone, from the midfield on. Curtis seemed to see most of the ball when it did go forward. Or did it just seem that way because he buggered up everything he touched.

He missed the best chance of the game - rushed a shot just after when had time & should of showed far more composure 

He also seemed (oddly) to completely pull out when in at least in a 70/30 in favour of winning the ball in there box 

Gave the ball away repeatedly thereafter - looked liked he’d been on the shant the night before
We need to support the player, Loyal, not rip him apart. That never worked with anyone. Smile

Compared to how he started his Pompey career, he certainly didn't shine.
Just as an aside.
When we are rating players what would the score be for ADEQUATE 5 or 6 or 7 ?
(15-03-2022, 11:31 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Just as an aside.

The normal interpretation in the papers is that 7 is 'par' - did his job, nothing wrong but did nothing spectacular. As in a consistent player is described as he always gives you 7 out 10 .. i always thought Lee Brown was the nearest we had to one of those (most weeks anyway).  

But whether that is the same as 'adequate' is another debate.
(15-03-2022, 11:38 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-03-2022, 11:31 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Just as an aside.

The normal interpretation in the papers is that 7 is 'par' - did his job, nothing wrong but did nothing spectacular. As in a consistent player is described as he always gives you 7 out 10 .. i always thought Lee Brown was the nearest we had to one of those (most weeks anyway).  

But whether that is the same as 'adequate' is another debate.

For me 6 is ok for adequate as it gives more scope to score 7,8 or 9 for better than adequate  performances.
Mind you, when did we have a 9 performance maybe a Baz or a Rags
What is the point of 1-3, they are never used?
(15-03-2022, 02:27 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]What is the point of 1-3, they are never used?

Rarely used, but not sure about never.
(15-03-2022, 02:31 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-03-2022, 02:27 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]What is the point of 1-3, they are never used?

Rarely used, but not sure about never.

Tony Dobson used to get a 2 each week. That was just for getting his Boots on the right way round.